THE FORUM

19-Apr-24, 11:31:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Video of huge Purple Martin roost site  (Read 4004 times)
Patti from Kentucky
Tiercel

Like Count: 58

View Profile WWW
« on: 30-Aug-13, 12:38:56 AM »

There is a late summer roost site for Purple Martins in Louisville, and Jeane and I (with one or more of my sisters tagging along occasionally) spent several evenings on the riverfront enjoying this spectacle.  And spectacle it is...tens of thousands of birds at its peak!  It was such an amazing experience we returned several times.

We both shot some video and photos...I haven't gotten my act together on the photos, but I did compile one video.  This combines clips from shorter videos both of us shot.  YouTube kinda sucks the quality out of video, but it'll help if you bump up your quality setting as high as your internet connection will allow.  When you see the great mass of birds in the first couple of clips, keep in mind that this is one small sample of the sky and at times the entire sky was filled with birds, from horizon to horizon...

We both have lots of clips in this compilation, but I gotta give credit to Jeane for the last one in the series...the magical geese that appear as the light is dying out!

Enjoy: 
Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 177

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 30-Aug-13, 03:56:47 AM »

Mother Nature! What is she like! What a privilege to witness such a scene. The vortex was a stunner. Thanks, Patti and Jeane!

wave
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30-Aug-13, 08:22:38 AM »

OH my, that was so cool Patti & Jeane. Is there a reason why they do this? Just ballet cuz they can? The geese were awesome too! I'm a water girl, I could sit there all day and watch the world go by! Thanks!!  clap

patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30-Aug-13, 09:51:53 AM »

Wow!  This is worthy of Alfred Hitchcock!

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
Dot_Forrester
Tiercel

Like Count: 50

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30-Aug-13, 10:20:24 AM »

thanx Patti and Jeane. What an amazing sight! bravo

Dot in PA
Paul Hamilton
Tiercel

Like Count: 266

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30-Aug-13, 11:12:38 AM »

Wow! What a treat!

Thanks, Patti and Jeane. The geese were a great ending.
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30-Aug-13, 11:16:44 AM »

VERY cool!  thanks2

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Wing Goose
Tiercel

Like Count: 37

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30-Aug-13, 04:47:41 PM »

That was great!  Thank you so much.
        flash flash flash yippee
                          Lola

Lola
Patti from Kentucky
Tiercel

Like Count: 58

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 30-Aug-13, 11:03:12 PM »

Is there a reason why they do this? Just ballet cuz they can? The geese were awesome too! I'm a water girl, I could sit there all day and watch the world go by! Thanks!!  clap

I was curious about why they do this, so I googled around a bit, and couldn't really find anything except quotes like "no one knows why they do this." happy

Cornell's All About Birds (http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/purple_martin/lifehistory) just has this to say:  "Purple Martins roost together by the thousands in late summer, as soon as the chicks leave the nest. They form such dense gatherings that you can easily see them on weather radar. It’s particularly noticeable in the early morning as the birds leave their roosts for the day, and looks like an expanding donut on the radar map."

The Louisville site is one of those big enough to show up on radar in the mornings...there are a couple more big ones in Kentucky.  We experienced a giant hatch-out of mayflies on one of the evenings, so I'm sure the martins had loads to eat that night.

And yeah...the river on a pleasant summer evening is a nice place to hang out...the Louisville skyline lit up in the background...the riverfront is often windy enough to be relatively mosquito-free.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: