THE FORUM

27-Apr-24, 03:02:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LOTS of snowies, a peregrine, ETC!!  (Read 4068 times)
dale
Falcon

Like Count: 276

View Profile WWW
« on: 15-Dec-13, 04:18:10 PM »

GREAT report on the IBET forum.
The link is not photos of THAT scene, but is terrific pictures from the same location

On Friday, December 13, 2013 12:17 PM, Al Stokie <alstokie99@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello Bird People,

My trusty old Kowa scope (20 years old) has finally been showing it's age in that the lens coating on the inside of the front lens is peeling & causing a hazy view lately. So I bought a new one & today was the 1st day I used it. I wanted the 1st bird seen using the scope to be a special bird so I went to Montrose to try for a Snowy Owl. Thought I'd beat the rush & arrived at 7:15 just after sunrise but there were 6 photographers with long lenses pointed toward the fish hook pier when I got there. So much for beating the rush! Before I joined the group I could see a Snowy or 2 on the pier so I got the new scope ready & my 1st view using the scope was of 3 SNOWY OWLS all on the pier with 2 light ones close together & a darker one not too far away. I couldn't have asked for a better 1st sighting with the new scope. After I joined the group I noticed Snowy #4 toward the end of the pier & it was another very dark one. That last Owl had the company of 6 Crows but the Crows didn't seem too upset & the Owl ignored them. While everyone else was getting good photo's I saw a Peregrine on the red tower toward the end of the pier but it was just looking around. Meanwhile the Crows left the Owl they had been with & decided to go after the other Owls. The 2 light ones flew to the ice covered beach & the 1st dark one flew farther away.

The Battle Begins

The Crows now numbered 15 & they all went after 1 of the 2 light Owls & ignored the 2nd one.
Then they decided to bug the other one & left the 1st one alone. The Owls would face the closest Crows but didn't try to fly away & the Crows didn't get too close. While this was going on I mentioned to the others that we should watch out for the Peregrine in case he attacked as had happened in that great video from Northerly Island a couple of years ago. Once in a while I can actually sound like I really know what I am talking about and as soon as I mentioned it the Peregrine took off, ignored the closest dark Owl & went after one of the 2 light Snowy's right in front of all of us.

The Main Battle Fast & Furious But Short

The Peregrine gathered speed & flew right over the Owl with the Crows nearby. The Crows decide they want no part of this & departed. Then the Peregrine goes right at the Owl & the Owl flies up about 2 ft, in the air, spreads it's wings & lifts up it's talons in the Peregrine's face. The Peregrine veered away but returned for a 2nd attack which unfolded just like the 1st try. Another direct pass right at the Owl, another lift off by the Owl with wings open to show how big it was & talons right at the Peregrine. Same result as the Peregrine veered away again & the Owl sat back down. I guess by then the Peregrine decided honor had been served & flew off to the west. The Owl's honor was also well served as it held it's ground (or sand) & didn't fly away.
The entire battle lasted all of 3 min but was exciting while it lasted.

The battle hardened Owl soon flew over to the pier & sat on a low level spot with the wall at it's back & slightly under the pier so if the Peregrine came back another attack would be almost impossible with the Owl in a semi-fortress. Smart Owl!

The only other birds of note were 5 Snow Bunting fly-bys, a Ruddy Duck in the lake & 2 Kestrels between the beach & the hedge. Most of the ducks were Goldeneye & Mergansers but now Common Mergs were the most numerous not Red Breasted Mergs.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the fighting Snowy Owl & Runner-Up to the Peregrine.
They put on a really fine show for those of us lucky enough to be there.
Once in a while I am at the right spot at the right time.

Al Stokie

the link:

http://www.suntimes.com/photos/galleries/index.html?story=9406685
Paul Hamilton
Tiercel

Like Count: 266

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 15-Dec-13, 04:27:31 PM »

Wow!
Thanks for posting this.

Paul
patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15-Dec-13, 04:47:33 PM »

Great story and great photos, Dale!  Thanks!

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
dale
Falcon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 15-Dec-13, 04:51:43 PM »

the snowy YAWNING on the camera's screen is a terrific one, isn't it?
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15-Dec-13, 04:54:41 PM »

Love the yawning owl Dale.  Thanks for sharing this.   wave

Peregrines know no borders.....
Paul Hamilton
Tiercel

Like Count: 266

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15-Dec-13, 04:58:22 PM »

the snowy YAWNING on the camera's screen is a terrific one, isn't it?
Yes -- it stands out even in an album of amazing pictures. We have snowys too, now but they like to move around within and between inaccessible areas.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15-Dec-13, 06:14:49 PM »

Love the expressions on the face....when it does express!! Beautiful Snowy!! Thanks dale!!

dale
Falcon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 22-Dec-13, 12:59:14 PM »

even more...EIGHT snowies reported at 31st st. harbor this morning:

On Sunday, December 22, 2013 11:28 AM, Aaron Gyllenhaal wrote:
On my continuing quest for Purple Sandpiper in Cook County, I decided to stop at 31st St. Harbor. No Purples, but I did find an astounding EIGHT Snowy Owls. When I first found them, 4 were on the breakwall and 4 were on the docks, but since then, one from each place has flown down to the ice. There are 3 fairly light ones, 2 intermediate, and 2 dark ones. One of them was eating some sort of rodent. My dad found some owl footprints in the snow. This invasion is absolutely insane!
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22-Dec-13, 02:31:37 PM »

They've reported 9 Snowies at our little Batavia airport...we've seen only one, so far.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: