THE FORUM

23-Sep-24, 05:29:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Look what Starlings can do  (Read 6377 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« on: 03-Feb-10, 07:47:09 AM »

Flocks of starlings are renowned for forming a variety of shapes in the sky.
But on this occasion they must have been overcome by vanity – and created a giant starling for us ground-dwellers to admire.
The countless creatures created the awesome display by using the winter breeze as the low-setting sun caused the sky to glow red.
The amazing spectacle was spotted over Taunton, Somerset.
Elsewhere, starlings created a bizarre image of a rubber duck in the sky as they flew in formation across Britain.
Animal experts have been stunned by the sight, which was spotted above home in Tolladine, Worcestershire.
Couple Thelma and Fred Stamp were amazed when they saw the feathered thousands mass above their house.
They had been racking up hours watching the skies over the past few weeks, hoping to catch a glimpse of them.
Mrs Stamp: ‘We have been watching them for two weeks now and it is so lovely to see.
‘It starts with four or five of them at first but then they start coming from all around.
‘It’s been truly incredible to witness.
‘When you watch it on TV you don’t see how the birds come from different directions, at least half a dozen places - It is quite a sight.’
Starlings form a tight sphere-like formation in flight, expanding and contracting and changing shapes in what is known as a Moot.
The organised technique means every bird has a turn to lead and also allows them to keep watch for predators at the same time, Alexis Johnson from the RSPB said such a massive flock of birds was a rare sight to see.
He said: 'Seeing starlings fly in these incredible formations truly is an amazing sight.
‘The birds flying together like a school of fish, all their movements in sync.
‘Because of their recent decline, it is unfortunately becoming more and more rare to see.’
These large flocks forage together, in a practice called roller-feeding where the birds at the back of the flock continually fly to the front to forage for food.

WOW, what great Birds!

Paul Hamilton
Tiercel

Like Count: 268

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 03-Feb-10, 08:02:34 AM »

You never hear anything about their football team itself, but wow -- what a halftime show their band puts on!

Paul
valhalla
« Reply #2 on: 03-Feb-10, 08:38:41 AM »

You never hear anything about their football team itself, but wow -- what a halftime show their band puts on!

Paul

2funny   clap
Annette
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 147

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03-Feb-10, 08:52:50 AM »

Great pictures!  bow

Dot_Forrester
Tiercel

Like Count: 50

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03-Feb-10, 10:16:40 AM »

good post Loved the starling flock shapes but am so happy they are not at my suet!

Dot in PA
rushhen06
Fledgling

Like Count: 17

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03-Feb-10, 12:28:44 PM »

What's with the second picture??  A skier with an umbrella???
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03-Feb-10, 12:43:49 PM »

LOL, I didn't even notice that!!! Maybe a weather vane...who knows....but thanks.

Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 03-Feb-10, 01:20:29 PM »

The Morton Salt girl in a hurricane.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03-Feb-10, 01:22:36 PM »

The Morton Salt girl in a hurricane.

LOL...I had to go look at my salt container!!! Perfect!

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17-Feb-10, 09:01:10 PM »

Published: 1:26PM GMT 17 Feb 2010
Starling flock forms shape of rabbit

Only when captured on camera can the bizarre shapes the birds form be seen clearly.

These starlings put on their evening display to deter a nearby falcon.

Kevin Hill, 59, a wildlife enthusiast and his wife Carol, 61, spotted the birds on the RSPB reserve at Ham Wall near Glastonbury at 4:30pm on Monday.

Mr Hill, a keen wildlife watcher from Somerset, said: "It was absolutely amazing and when they sweep over the top of your head you can hear their wings beat.

"They make these peculiar shapes if they are worried about being an easy supper for a peregrine falcon. When a peregrine is around the starlings sense that there is danger and wheel and dive as protection against predators.

"No starling wants to be on the outside on their own. Unfortunately, on this occasion it didn't work and a starling was taken, but that's nature."

The starlings, which arrived in late October from Europe, rest overnight at the reserve. At dawn they will go out into the countryside to feed in small flocks before returning an hour before dusk.

The birds will have migrated back to Europe by the middle of March.

Aafke
Falcon

Like Count: 715

Kingfisher

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18-Feb-10, 07:38:44 AM »

2thumbsup

Feed the birds!!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: