THE FORUM

23-Apr-24, 09:10:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Big Snow Storm!  (Read 9906 times)
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« on: 05-Feb-10, 09:39:40 PM »

Be safe everyone!  Sounds like a doozy of a storm coming.  According to our weatherpeople, Rochester will escape this one.  Thank goodness

Let us know how you're doing.

Peregrines know no borders.....
Tokira
Juvie

Like Count: 142

Kaetzchen Gabriella of Tokira

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 05-Feb-10, 09:59:38 PM »

Be safe everyone!  Sounds like a doozy of a storm coming.  According to our weatherpeople, Rochester will escape this one.  Thank goodness

Let us know how you're doing.

From my local alert:
A WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 PM EST
SATURDAY.

* PRECIPITATION TYPE...HEAVY SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...WIDESPREAD STORM TOTAL ACCUMULATIONS OF 20 TO 30
  INCHES...WITH SOME LOCATIONS RECEIVING LOCALLY HEAVIER AMOUNTS
  ESPECIALLY ACROSS WESTERN MARYLAND AND THE EASTERN WEST VIRGINIA
  PANHANDLE.

* TIMING...SNOW WILL CONTINUE THROUGH SATURDAY EVENING. THE
  HEAVIEST SNOWFALL WILL OCCUR THROUGH SATURDAY MORNING WITH THE
  MOST HAZARDOUS CONDITIONS OCCURRING OVERNIGHT.

The DishNetwork antenna can't see the satellites through the storm, surprise surprise.  But as long as the electricity and frontiernet hold up, we'll be fine  tv
Carol
in the Eastern West Virginia Panhandle, sigh...
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05-Feb-10, 11:42:44 PM »

Overview Powered by TruPointSM
Snow
Snow

A steady snow will continue to fall through the overnight hours. Cloudy with temperatures steady or falling to near 24F. Winds NE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of snow 95%. Snowfall of 2 to 3 inches through 4am. 

Ahhh, this is baby stuff.

valhalla
« Reply #3 on: 06-Feb-10, 07:15:42 AM »

Ok...
I win!  This morning's alerts for Owings, MD (about 25 miles SE of Washington, DC and about 25 miles West of Blackwater).

A BLIZZARD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 PM EST SATURDAY.

* PRECIPITATION TYPE...HEAVY SNOW...ACCOMPANIED OCCASIONALLY BY THUNDER OVERNIGHT.

* ACCUMULATIONS...WIDESPREAD STORM TOTAL ACCUMULATIONS OF 20 TO 30 INCHES...WITH SOME LOCATIONS IN EXCESS OF 30 INCHES.

* TIMING...SNOW WILL CONTINUE THROUGH SATURDAY EVENING. THE HEAVIEST SNOWFALL WILL OCCUR THROUGH SATURDAY MORNING WITH THE MOST HAZARDOUS CONDITIONS OCCURRING OVERNIGHT.

* VISIBILITIES...WIDESPREAD VISIBILITIES AT OR BELOW ONE-QUARTER MILE ARE EXPECTED TONIGHT IN HEAVY SNOW.

* TEMPERATURES...TEMPERATURES WILL BE IN THE MID TO UPPER 20S TONIGHT AND SATURDAY.

* WINDS...NORTHEAST WINDS 15 TO 25 MPH WITH FREQUENT GUSTS OF 35 TO 40 MPH OVERNIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY...ESPECIALLY ALONG THE COAST.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

THIS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS STORM IS EXPECTED TO PRODUCE RECORD SNOWFALL FOR THE BALTIMORE AND WASHINGTON DC METROPOLITAN AREAS. TRAVEL CONDITIONS TONIGHT ACROSS THE REGION WILL BE EXTREMELY HAZARDOUS AND LIFE-THREATENING. HELP YOUR LOCAL AND STATE GOVERNMENT FIRST RESPONDERS AND TRANSPORTATION AGENCIES BY STAYING OFF THE ROADS.

A BLIZZARD WARNING MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. FALLING AND BLOWING SNOW WITH STRONG WINDS AND POOR VISIBILITIES ARE LIKELY. THIS WILL LEAD TO WHITEOUT CONDITIONS.
rushhen06
Fledgling

Like Count: 17

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06-Feb-10, 08:45:52 AM »

Ok Janet, I'll let you win this one.  LOL
valhalla
« Reply #5 on: 06-Feb-10, 10:45:12 AM »

Ok Janet, I'll let you win this one.  LOL

Gee, Thanks :-)
Today is Saturday and this isn't Buffalo (where snow removal skills are learned upon birth) - Any bets that the Federal Government is closed on Monday?
valhalla
« Reply #6 on: 06-Feb-10, 01:35:34 PM »

Pictures from around 9 this morning of the Big Snow.  About 16 heavy wet inches then and more is on the ground now.  Lots of wind - - 2 feet in the back yard. Hungry birds and squirrels. Extra Feeding Stations set up.

The titles underneath give an idea of what is what. 

http://classic.kodakgallery.com/valhallaviews/main/02-06-2010-bigsnow

to see other pictures that you may have missed:

http://classic.kodakgallery.com/valhallaviews/
rushhen06
Fledgling

Like Count: 17

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06-Feb-10, 02:02:11 PM »

inconvenient as it may be, you have to admit to the beauty of the it.
HA, I can say that as it missed us again here in the Rochester area!!!
Wing Goose
Tiercel

Like Count: 37

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06-Feb-10, 04:27:57 PM »

Pictures from around 9 this morning of the Big Snow.  About 16 heavy wet inches then and more is on the ground now.  Lots of wind - - 2 feet in the back yard. Hungry birds and squirrels. Extra Feeding Stations set up.

Great snowy pictures ! !
Lola

« Last Edit: 06-Feb-10, 08:09:24 PM by Shaky » Logged

Lola
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06-Feb-10, 11:20:25 PM »

This article was in the Scotsman.

A FEROCIOUS storm pummelled the US mid-Atlantic yesterday, dumping huge amounts of snow, killing two people and forcing traffic to a grinding halt.

Washington DC, already practically shut down after it was hit by 50cm of snow before dawn yesterday, was bracing itself for what forecasters said could be its toughest winter conditions in 90 years.

Jane Lubchenco, administrator of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, called the blizzard "a potentially epic snowstorm" that could rival the 71cm of snow that a January 1922 storm dropped on the US capital.

Another forecaster, in a widely distributed e-mail alert, said travel conditions would be "extremely dangerous and life-threatening" and that the winter was as "bad as it gets around here".

Up to 90cm of snow was forecast for more hilly parts of the region.

Tabloid newspapers in the US were last night dubbing the blizzard "Snowmageddon" or "Snowpocalypse".

Authorities quickly responded to the freak weather conditions.

Most flights were cancelled yesterday out of the main airports in and around Washington DC, Baltimore and Philadelphia and many train services were suspended too. Road conditions were said to be treacherous, and the governor of Delaware, another affected state, ordered all cars off the roads from 10pm Friday night, local time.

A father and son were killed in Virginia when they were hit by a truck as they tried to help a car stuck in a snowdrift.

Schools across the region were shut. Supermarkets, meanwhile, faced long queues late on Friday and early yesterday as shoppers stocked up for what one of the biggest weekends of the year for US sports fans. More than 100 million Americans are expected to stay at home today to watch the American football Superbowl game.

The heavy, wet snow caused chaos as it brought down power lines. Around 120,000 homes yesterday lost electricity supplies.

Virginia, Maryland and the District of Columbia each declared snow emergencies, allowing them to deploy reserve agencies, including the National Guard, to help prepare for the wintry onslaught and cope with its aftermath.

Government offices closed early on Friday and museums and zoos were closed yesterday in the DC area.

Unseasonably cold temperatures are expected in the storm's wake next week in the north-east and Midwest.

"Once we get through the weekend storm, much colder air will invade the north-east and mid-Atlantic. The outlook for the north-east third of the country next week is looking much colder than normal," said Jim Rouiller, a senior energy meteorologist at private weather forecaster Planalytics.

The same weather system brought heavy rains to parts of south-eastern US, including North and South Carolina and Georgia, fuelling itself with fresh moist air blowing in from the Gulf of Mexico and South Atlantic.

Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 07-Feb-10, 09:32:10 AM »

Meanwhile, Rochesterians laugh at the hype, and go look for falcons.
Paul Hamilton
Tiercel

Like Count: 266

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07-Feb-10, 03:21:14 PM »

We lost our Internet connection on Friday night.  There are lots of lines down, and it is a good thing that it was our cable, not our power.  A few hours ago, I decided that the cable company wasn't going to fix anything soon, so I activated the broadband wireless service that I normally use only in remote areas.  It's good to be connected to the world again.

We have been enjoying our snow adventure.  These things are always exciting.  On Friday evening, the clouds and snow reflected the lights and gave everything an unearthly glow.  It was like being thrust into a huge, luminous cloud, and we remarked on how bright the light from outside was as we were drifting off to sleep.

This has been the most beautiful winter landscape we have experienced here.  We have been enjoying ourselves watching wildlife at our feeders, exploring the strange arctic world thad suddenly appeared outside our door, and playing games in front of the fire.

Now that our emergency Internet connection is working, I can share these pictures:

Don't sign:
http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/creativeapps/slideShow/Main.jsp?token=553749452803%3A736738318&cm_mmc=site_email-new_site_sharecore_-View_photos_album

Sign
http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/creativeapps/slideShow/Main.jsp?token=453749452803%3A1386075539&cm_mmc=site_email-new_site_sharecore_-View_photos_album

Paul
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07-Feb-10, 03:28:32 PM »

I so wish we had that storm....what beautiful pics Paul. We got NADA!!!!

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07-Feb-10, 03:30:00 PM »

Pictures from around 9 this morning of the Big Snow.  About 16 heavy wet inches then and more is on the ground now.  Lots of wind - - 2 feet in the back yard. Hungry birds and squirrels. Extra Feeding Stations set up.

Yowee Janet, you gots some snow for sure. Fantastic pics. Where are you, still digging out?

Annette
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 147

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07-Feb-10, 03:53:04 PM »

Hi Paul,

nice winter pictures. I loved the Tufted Timouse.

Greetings
Annette

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: