THE FORUM

29-Mar-24, 11:43:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 ... 37   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quest (2008) and Skye - Toronto/Don Mills  (Read 314693 times)
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: 21-Dec-14, 09:24:48 PM »

As per Bruce when I asked if it was the 'backpack' or just the 'antenna':

As far as I could see, completely gone. Last Spring she had one piece of the Harness broken away. I guess she worked the 2nd one loose.

Thanks, Carly!  Wonderful news..glad for Quest!

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: 21-Dec-14, 10:48:11 PM »

Quest has been confirmed..and antenna is gone.  Message from Bruce who is on site just relayed:

Sunday- Confirmed Quest, w/NO Antenna. Male also on site-Active.

My eyes are still good!! Thanks Carly!! Wonder if she lost just the antenna or the whole vest too!! Bet she feels better!

Old Eagle Eye strikes again! You don't miss too much Donna!!  notworthy

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: 22-Dec-14, 06:14:52 AM »

Quest Has Shed Her Transmitter and On Site with a Potential New Suitor   OH NO, not again!!
December 21, 2014 - Toronto - Don Mills

Bruce Massey Reports:

With the nest camera back online and showing us views of the adult peregrines active around the site, I decided to venture out to do a quick check in.  One of the most conspicuous things about Quest these days is that in the camera shots taken of her at the box, the antenna of her transmitter could not be seen at all.  I set out to try and confirm whether the female was Quest and if she was now backpack free.

I found her in and around the nest box soaking up the sun and with my scope was able to get excellent looks at her back.  I can say without doubt that the backpack harness and transmitter she has been wearing for the past several years is no longer there.  Quest was looking quite fabulous, all her feathers sitting neatly preened across her back and chest.  I was also able to confirm her recovery band number as Black 96 over Green V as she sat sunbathing.  The male was also quite active in the area and the two met at the box a number of times bowing and vocalizing together.  I set the scope on the male and turned my attention to the task of confirming his identity.

He spent a great deal of time up on the Harlequin building sitting in the sun and I waited for him to do some stretching and reveal the look I was seeking.  At first glance I was able to only see the USFW band and it was covered in blue tape.  This was not consistent with Skye, the male that was with Quest this past nest season.  I continued to watch and finally got the look that I was waiting for.  The band number that I could clearly see was a solid Black Y over 72 with blue tape which turns out to be a bird hatched in 2013 at the Amexon nest site named Lucky.

We are unsure when this change took place and where Skye is currently.  We will have to wait until spring to clearly understand whether Lucky or Skye will be Quest’s mate for the 2015 nesting season.

Posted on December 21, 2014 10:53 pm

Maybe he migrated???
« Last Edit: 22-Dec-14, 06:36:29 AM by Donna » Logged

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: 22-Dec-14, 06:50:12 AM »

Looks like the falcon winds of change have struck again!  Hope Skye is ok.  Welcome Lucky!   surprise

Quest losing her satellite transmitter and magenta vest is the best Christmas present I could hope for.  I was there to see them fit her with her transmitter and I am so very happy to see her finally without it!  She is finally free of it!   clap

Go Quest!   wub2

Peregrines know no borders.....
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: 22-Dec-14, 07:00:03 AM »

!!! ICICI - Both fledglings are doing well after last weeks storm!
July 21, 2013 - International, National and Local News

CPF Postmaster Reports:

July 21st - 2013
Hi All

Finally got over to ICICI tonight! Last week I saw a juvie flying towards me at intersection of Don Mills & Eglinton –knew it was a juvie because of the clumsy attempt to get a gull!! But it was great to see–think it was Lucky but could’ve been AM-E as she one tough cookie lol!

Tonight, I wanted to see all 4. When I first got there I immediately spied an adult on the “t” on the Forester building–I think it was Mom hiding out!! Waited for a bit and then a juvie flew in to roof of nest building. A couple of minutes later, in came their sibling and they both flew around the building. I was thrilled to see them both!! I walked around the building and there they were, sitting on the ICICI bank sign. They were waiting, and they didn’t have to wait long. Adult came in with food and off they all went to the roof, where they were as night fell (& Mom never left the “t”!!). Great to see our little family safe and sound.

Cathy

carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: 22-Dec-14, 07:03:44 AM »

Though I was heartbroken when Tracy informed me last night that Skye is MIA, it's one of those bittersweet moments.

Lucky - is the son of Chester at ICI (now known as Amexon).  Chester if you may remember is the son of Haven and the former male Irving whom Stormin replaced.  Chester also once courted Quest before he settled in his new home.

Anyway for me another generation carrying Irving's bloodline is great news.  I remember seeing him flying with the 'bend' in his wing - he had been in rehab in the US for awhile and when he was released he made his way to Canada.  He found a mate, established a brand new falcon site for us and then sadly was killed in the second year.  

So it's hard to be sad when you see his legacy now living on, he was an amazing tiercel and I'm so happy his legacy is continuing on.
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: 22-Dec-14, 07:14:59 AM »

Carly, it's always sad to lose one.  Hopefully Skye is ok and we'll see him again.   heart

carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: 22-Dec-14, 07:26:40 AM »

Carly, it's always sad to lose one.  Hopefully Skye is ok and we'll see him again.   heart

I hope so too.  I am grateful he had 4 offspring with Quest.  For years I kept hoping one of Jack and Angel's kids would meet up with one of Mariah and Kaver's..lol.  I was tickled when it finally happened, two strong genetic lines and what beautiful kids they made  happy

Life as a pefa isn't easy as we know but at least if something has happened, he's left some beautiful babies behind, one or more of whom may hopefully carry the legacy forward.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: 22-Dec-14, 07:36:46 AM »

I hope so too.  I am grateful he had 4 offspring with Quest.  For years I kept hoping one of Jack and Angel's kids would meet up with one of Mariah and Kaver's..lol.  I was tickled when it finally happened, two strong genetic lines and what beautiful kids they made  happy

Life as a pefa isn't easy as we know but at least if something has happened, he's left some beautiful babies behind, one or more of whom may hopefully carry the legacy forward.

Could Skye have migrated? DC did his first year! Maybe he will be back but when that happens, 1 always loses!

carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: 22-Dec-14, 07:44:52 AM »

He certainly could have migrated. I thought of that too since as you reminded us so did DC.  We'll just have to wait and see.  

I expect we'll see more change here this year - we have a few falcons that are up there so I won't be surprised to see at least 2 more new pairs this year.  There are other opportunities out there for them and I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Skye has taken advantage of one of them.  He is after all the son of a rascal  devil
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: 22-Dec-14, 07:49:52 AM »

"I am grateful he had 4 offspring with Quest.  For years I kept hoping one of Jack and Angel's kids would meet up with one of Mariah and Kaver's..lol.  I was tickled when it finally happened, two strong genetic lines and what beautiful kids they made!"

They sure did!   Cheesy

patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: 22-Dec-14, 08:56:02 AM »

As we know, Beauty and Pigott both had other suitors when Dot.ca migrated, and at least one of the UTs was very good at keeping a low profile when Dot.ca came back.  The situation here ended peacefully, as far as we know.  I hope Skye is okay and that Quest, Skye, Lucky and Kendal all have a good 2015.  

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: 22-Dec-14, 11:05:14 AM »

First Kendal is non-releaseable (which we kind of knew after all this time) and they're looking for a home for him and now Skye is MIA..hopefully migrated.  Sad

patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: 22-Dec-14, 11:13:52 AM »

I wonder when was the last time that Skye was positively identified at the site.  Perhaps he migrated some time ago.

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
Annette
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 147

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: 22-Dec-14, 11:25:07 AM »

First Kendal is non-releaseable (...) and they're looking for a home for him and now Skye is MIA..hopefully migrated.  Sad
What is MIA?

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 ... 37   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: