THE FORUM

29-Mar-24, 09:16:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Owl Prowl on Super Bowl Sunday  (Read 3904 times)
Lisa McK
Eyas

Like Count: 61

View Profile
« on: 08-Feb-10, 09:24:20 AM »

I decided this past Sunday would be the perfect evening for an owl prowl.  Before leaving the city I stopped to look for the South Side falcons.  I found both falcons on the same window ledge at the top floor of the building on the south side of the east wing.  A successful short watch, hopefully this was the prelude to a great owl prowl.

I arrived at the location south of Rochester about 4:45 p.m.  The sun was shining bright and I started to look for birds.  Usually one can see numerous Northern Harriers in the area during the daylight hours and the Short Eared Owls come out at dusk.  I drove around the country block once and ran into a birdwatching group that was watching Snowing Buntings and Horned Larks.  On my way back around the block I had a Red Tail Hawk fly just over my car.  So far that was the highlight of the watch.

I caught back up with the birdwatching group and one person thought they saw an owl fly into the tall grass.  We all watched for a few minutes when suddenly a Harrier appeared just above the tall grass.  Well it wasn't an owl, but at least it was a Harrier.  I proceeded to drive around the block again. 

I came back to the road where the Short Eared Owls are typically seen, and was at the top of a hill when I saw two objects flying in front of me just as dusk had arrived.  I stopped the car and sure enough they were OWLS!!!  2thumbsup

I looked to my left and there were five owls landing and flying around a tree in the middle of the field.  I watch these five owls and until they flew away.  There were owls to my left and owls to my right.  They were all around me.  I was in heaven for this 10-15 minute show. angel

My first owl prowl in a long time and it was awesome.

Lisa McK
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 08-Feb-10, 09:44:56 AM »

I decided this past Sunday would be the perfect evening for an owl prowl.  Before leaving the city I stopped to look for the South Side falcons.  I found both falcons on the same window ledge at the top floor of the building on the south side of the east wing.  A successful short watch, hopefully this was the prelude to a great owl prowl.

I arrived at the location south of Rochester about 4:45 p.m.  The sun was shining bright and I started to look for birds.  Usually one can see numerous Northern Harriers in the area during the daylight hours and the Short Eared Owls come out at dusk.  I drove around the country block once and ran into a birdwatching group that was watching Snowing Buntings and Horned Larks.  On my way back around the block I had a Red Tail Hawk fly just over my car.  So far that was the highlight of the watch.

I caught back up with the birdwatching group and one person thought they saw an owl fly into the tall grass.  We all watched for a few minutes when suddenly a Harrier appeared just above the tall grass.  Well it wasn't an owl, but at least it was a Harrier.  I proceeded to drive around the block again. 

I came back to the road where the Short Eared Owls are typically seen, and was at the top of a hill when I saw two objects flying in front of me just as dusk had arrived.  I stopped the car and sure enough they were OWLS!!!  2thumbsup

I looked to my left and there were five owls landing and flying around a tree in the middle of the field.  I watch these five owls and until they flew away.  There were owls to my left and owls to my right.  They were all around me.  I was in heaven for this 10-15 minute show. angel

My first owl prowl in a long time and it was awesome.

Lisa McK

very nice Lisa....thanks. What are the South side Falcons?

valhalla
« Reply #2 on: 08-Feb-10, 09:49:27 AM »

Thanks Lisa!  Wonderful account of the "owl surround"   happy
Lisa McK
Eyas

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08-Feb-10, 12:03:17 PM »

The South Side falcons are the pair seen at the old "looney bin". crazy

The building in not 100% secure so I don't want to reveal its location on a public board.  We saw falcons there last year, remember..... Beauty was there before she went downtown. 
stupid  Get the hints!!   Wink

valhalla
« Reply #4 on: 08-Feb-10, 12:08:41 PM »

The South Side falcons are the pair seen at the old "looney bin". crazy

stupid  Get the hints!!   Wink

I got it!  blonde There's hope for me! 
Patti from Kentucky
Tiercel

Like Count: 58

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 09-Feb-10, 12:05:30 AM »

That's great that you saw the owls!  I went on a combination Sandhill Crane/Short-Eared Owl trip last winter and we also had great looks at the owls flying low over the cornfields.
Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09-Feb-10, 11:11:40 PM »

How do you know where to look for owls. We have them here (I can hear them) but have never seen them.
Lisa McK
Eyas

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10-Feb-10, 12:55:54 PM »

Short Eared Owls regularly spend their winter months in the fields south of Rochester.  I have been watching them for over 5 years, when I went on a field trip to see them.  Now I do my own field trips.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: