THE FORUM

28-Apr-24, 11:04:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alcoa Anglesea, Australia  (Read 92129 times)
Annette
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 147

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: 11-Dec-09, 01:53:06 AM »

Hi,

two juvies at the nestbox.

Greetings
Annette

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: 21-Dec-09, 07:25:11 PM »

Nobody home at the moment, but I just saw this posted...

Monday December 21, 2009
Due to popular demand we are keeping the webcam live a little longer this year so that you can enjoy the brief glimpses of Froona, Barega and Warrun when they return to the nest box, whether it's for a rest or a meal.

We hope you have enjoyed the 2009 season at the Alcoa Anglesea nest box and that you will tune in again in 2010.  Thank you for watching.

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Annette
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: 11-Jun-10, 03:11:08 PM »

I found this short  note in another forum:

2009 Band data has been recovered for Concorde, the male fledgling from Alcoa Anglesea in 2007. Concorde has been found actively defending a nest site 31 km north of the Alcoa Anglesea site following the death of the previous resident male. More news will be available in 2010 of Concorde's first breeding attempt.

Lord G
Juvie

Like Count: 48

Peregrine Paparazzo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: 11-Jun-10, 08:55:15 PM »

Thanks for sharing. Back when I worked at Kodak, we hosted a group of people from Alcoa for a benchmarking effort. I wonder if they were inspired by the Kodak webcam from that visit?  Hmmm..

They have the Kodak webcam in their links.  The link goes to the Kodak website, but the Kodak website links back into this site.

Lou

They were.  They contacted us (Kodak) in 2004 or 2005 (I can't recall which year exactly) to inquire about our camera setup and nest box design.  I like to think we're responsible for the Alcoa webcam.

"Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise"
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: 27-Jul-10, 10:59:04 PM »

New nest box...so pretty

Alcoa Anglesea Peregrine Falcon Webcam

Tuesday July 27, 2010

Welcome back!  The 2010 Peregrine falcon breeding season at Alcoa Anglesea is upon us.

The pink nest box is back!  Due to continuing aggression from Sheila towards our employees we have had to relocate the nest box (again!).  This time it is no longer on the water tower, rather in a stand-alone location away from our main buildings.  Both Sheila and Havoc (bands yet to be confirmed) have been present around the station for the last couple of weeks (looking for their nest box no doubt!) so hopefully they will find their new home soon.

Alcoa Anglesea has been home to a pair of Peregrine Falcons since 1991. This webcam is showing images from a special nest box that environmental staff at the site built and installed in 2004 on the site’s water tower. The height and aspect of this structure mimics the preferred natural nesting environment of this species.  Normally Peregrines can be found nesting on sheer cliff faces.

The most serious threats facing Peregrines in Victoria are illegal persecution and the continuing loss and disturbance of suitable nest sites. Only 3% of Peregrine nests found in Victoria are on man made structures, so Alcoa Anglesea is pleased to be able to provide a safe and secure site for this pair of Peregrine Falcons.

Alcoa has an ongoing interest and involvement with Peregrine Falcons in Victoria, with both the Anglesea and Point Henry sites working alongside the Victorian Peregrine Project (VPP) to assist
with research and conservation of the species. This work is part of the environmental management work underway at each Alcoa site to reduce our environmental footprint and promote conservation

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: 27-Jul-10, 11:21:22 PM »

Hey, where did that Pooh rock come from? Did they paint that too?  clap Hope they come back and use this new nest box. Looks easier to view. Guess time will tell.

Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

Like Count: 283

"Cadence"

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: 29-Jul-10, 12:23:21 AM »

Very interesting...a stand alone nestbox.  It reminds me of an Osprey nestsite with a box insted of sticks.  I was thinking of comments Mark Nash made when we were discussing the nestbox on the roof of the Lennox Power Plant that Quest took no interest in.  

Mark said CPF hasn't had any success in attracting peregrines to a nestbox on top of a roof.  BUT, hang the nest box down several feet from the roof (on the wall) and they (the urban produced birds) will accept it like a magnet.  Instinctually they prefer a ledge and/or a wall behind them.

I hope the Aussie peregrines don't reject the nestbox since it is so exposed.
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: 29-Jul-10, 05:55:47 AM »

Joyce:  That was my first thought too!  It looks similar to an osprey nest and not a PEFA nest site.  They would be wide open to predators - assuming they have some down there - and no safe place to perch and guard the kids at night.  Thought I suspect that is what that second door is for.  I will be surprised if they accept the box.
Annette
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: 26-Aug-10, 01:54:22 AM »

There are some news.

Wednesday August 25, 2010

Remember in the update on July 27, 2010 where we said 'bands yet to be confirmed'? (scroll down if you need refreshing). Well here is your first glimpse at the new female Peregrine falcon of Alcoa Anglesea.

This isn't breaking news to some of our followers out there. In February there were sightings of an unbanded female at the nest box. However because it was out of breeding season, we weren't able to account for the whereabouts of our resident female, Sheila.

It's a little sad to have lost Sheila, our adult female at Anglesea since 2003. Gosh she was aggressive but she was also a very dedicated mother.

Picture of the new female http://tinyurl.com/2uw8tbm

Tuesday August 24, 2010

The new nest box for Sheila and Havoc remains vacant and any day now it would be expected that Sheila would settle down to lay her first egg. Regular patrols continue of the Power Station in case Sheila returns here but at this stage there is no evidence of a 'nest'.

Tuesday August 10, 2010

A Peregrine falcon sits upon the water tower where it's nest box once stood and unfortunately there is no evidence of Sheila or Havoc having visited their new nest box. As you can see from this picture of our Station (with a falcon on each corner!), it is 7 floors of attractive looking ledges and beams. Can our nest box compete?

On a positive note, Sheila and Havoc continue to spend time at the Power Station and courting
behaviour is in full swing. There will be a nest.... but where?

Havok on water tower http://tinyurl.com/2wqjcqh

Both falcons at station http://tinyurl.com/3yxp5lf

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: 26-Aug-10, 05:55:32 AM »

wave  Thanks for sharing Annette!   clap

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: 26-Aug-10, 06:23:58 AM »

How sad for Sheila. Just when ya get used to something...BAM, it's gone. Guess their not liking that nest on a pole, can't blame them. Hope they find a good place to nest. Thanks Annette.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: 06-Sep-10, 06:07:03 PM »

Alcoa Anglesea Peregrine Falcon Webcam

Monday September 6, 2010

This week we have received several enquiries asking for clarification on what has happened to Sheila.

With the appearance of a new female in Sheila's breeding territory it is most likely that Sheila has died.  We have not found any physical evidence of Sheila but given the appearance on a new female, it is the most likely assumption.  Peregrine falcons mate for life, it would be almost impossible for another female to breed with Havoc if Sheila was alive.  It is only if a member of the pair dies, the surviving falcon (in this case Havoc) will accept a replacement mate.

Annette
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: 08-Sep-10, 11:24:18 AM »

There are news again.

Wednesday September 8, 2010
The water tower continues to be the focus for courtship between Ava and Havoc,
with ledge displays, Havoc delivering food and some more intimate moments.

Afternoon delight http://www.alcoa.com/australia/en/images/falcon_gallery/2010_09_08_ava_havoc_large.jpg
« Last Edit: 08-Sep-10, 01:31:35 PM by Annette » Logged

Annette
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: 13-Sep-10, 09:35:14 AM »

An update again

Monday September 13, 2010

Without the webcam it’s back to old fashioned binoculars and manual camera work (well it is a digital camera) to bring you the latest news from Ava and Havoc. One advantage is the up close and personal moments such as this encounter with Havoc on the Power Station.

Havoc on power station

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: 17-Sep-10, 11:28:39 PM »

I wonder if there's room on that tower, (with no nest box) for eggs. Seems that's where they want to stay. Poor falcons. She should be laying them or has-soon!

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: