THE FORUM

01-May-24, 06:43:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Utica Falcon Cam 2015  (Read 30317 times)
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 22-Dec-15, 06:43:34 PM »

Concerns me a bit with MAK's reports of cracked corn and bread that's been left at Medley Center for the pigeons & gulls

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Lynne in New Hampshire
Tiercel

Like Count: 35

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 22-Dec-15, 07:08:25 PM »

Concerns me a bit with MAK's reports of cracked corn and bread that's been left at Medley Center for the pigeons & gulls
That's what I thought after I read that !!!!

Lynne in New Hampshire
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 22-Dec-15, 08:13:29 PM »

Is there security at the medley center?

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 22-Dec-15, 09:25:35 PM »

You might want to report it to the DEC just as a precaution.  They might be able to investigate and test the food to see if any harm is intended and maybe catch whomever is doing it if it is poison.  Better to be safe than sorry. 
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 22-Dec-15, 10:34:33 PM »

I haven't seen any dead pigeons or gulls so I'm pretty confident that poison is NOT involved. My concern is if it's used for baiting to draw Big Frankie to the gulls and pigeons. My hope is that it's just someone that wants to feed the birds. I would love to see whoever is dropping the bread and/or corn off and speak to them about it. As far as I can tell there is no security on the premises-there are cameras on the roof but I have no way of knowing if they're working.  Roll Eyes

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 23-Dec-15, 05:23:17 AM »

I haven't seen any dead pigeons or gulls so I'm pretty confident that poison is NOT involved. My concern is if it's used for baiting to draw Big Frankie to the gulls and pigeons. My hope is that it's just someone that wants to feed the birds. I would love to see whoever is dropping the bread and/or corn off and speak to them about it. As far as I can tell there is no security on the premises-there are cameras on the roof but I have no way of knowing if they're working.  Roll Eyes

Thanks MAK. I feel a bit better...

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 23-Dec-15, 06:38:22 AM »

Thanks MAK. I feel a bit better...

thumbsup

-John Burroughs
Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 177

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 23-Dec-15, 07:06:20 AM »

And this is just another of the many reasons why we need our team of Watchers! Well done, MAK! That "suspicious gene" is always there... because it has to be.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 29-Dec-15, 08:53:37 AM »

http://youtu.be/jfPHsizuDAA The male calling

LOVE!!!

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 13-Jan-16, 05:55:58 PM »

From FB

Utica dead pigeon mystery gets some answers
Submitted photo
The state Department of Environmental Conservation said late Tuesday that the department's Wildlife Health Unit in Delmar examined dead pigeons found in the Utica area in late November and determined the likely cause of death to be Avitrol, a pesticide used for nuisance pigeons and spread on whole corn.
By S. Alexander Gerould
Posted Jan 13, 2016 at 10:55 AM
Updated at 11:31 AM

Those searching for the reasons why multiple pigeons and other birds have been found dead in the downtown-Utica area have gotten some answers.
The state Department of Environmental Conservation said late Tuesday that the department's Wildlife Health Unit in Delmar examined dead pigeons found in the Utica area in late November and determined the likely cause of death to be Avitrol, a pesticide used for nuisance pigeons and spread on whole corn.
The pesticide was detected in corn eaten by the pigeons, according to the department, whose Bureau of Pesticides is conducting a further investigation into the matter.
Questions about was killing birds in the area were first raised after Matthew Perry, a Utica Peregrine Falcon Project founder, and others found more than 20 dead pigeons and other birds last fall in the Hopper Street area and other downtown locations. Several of the birds had corn in their throats and bills and around their bodies, Perry said at the time.
Perry said Wednesday that, of the roughly 10 birds tested, two tested positive for Avitrol. The other birds tested for an unspecified poison that isn't known yet, he said.
About 40 deceased birds were found altogether, Perry said. While they were concerned for the dead birds, Perry said the group's “main concern” was how the city's pair of peregrine falcons, who rely on pigeons and other birds as a main source of food, could be impacted.
“The best pigeon control that Utica has is currently a family of peregrine falcons,” Perry said. “They can take over 300 pigeons per year. As long as you have them in town and you're not threatening them, then they can do a good job at controlling pigeon populations.”

AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 13-Jan-16, 10:52:54 PM »

Thank you for the update, Kris. This is really bad. I don't want to see any birds poisoned, and of course I am especially concerned for Ares and Astrid. I know some people don't like pigeons, but there is no excuse for poisoning any bird or animal. And perhaps two different poisons here?

Is there an ongoing investigation into who might be doing this? It is very concerning.  Sad
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 14-Jan-16, 06:29:18 AM »

http://www.uticaod.com/article/20160113/NEWS/st_refDomain=www.facebook.com&st_refQuery=/ Article

Utica dead pigeon mystery gets some answers

Sad

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 14-Jan-16, 06:50:13 AM »

Now they need to find out who's doing it!  Roll Eyes

-John Burroughs
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 14-Jan-16, 10:54:52 PM »

Thank you for the update, Kris. This is really bad. I don't want to see any birds poisoned, and of course I am especially concerned for Ares and Astrid. I know some people don't like pigeons, but there is no excuse for poisoning any bird or animal. And perhaps two different poisons here?

Is there an ongoing investigation into who might be doing this? It is very concerning.  Sad

Someone posted on FB today

Our watchers collected over 40 pigeons in multiple canvassing efforts. We submitted the first collection of over 20 pigeons to the DEC. They are investigating and will hopefully get to the source. Luckily we have not had any new reports of down or dead pigeons in the past two weeks.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 26-Mar-16, 08:47:03 AM »

1st egg 4:24 am  2thumbsup

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: