THE FORUM

22-Sep-24, 04:25:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Milestone reached in peregrine recovery effort  (Read 2219 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« on: 24-Aug-15, 10:22:50 PM »

Peregrine falcons are inching closer toward coming off the state's endangered species list.
Art McMorris, falcon coordinator for the Pennsylvania Game Commission, said the agency's management plan calls for upgrading the birds' status to “threatened” when more than 50 percent of nests fledge young and produce, on average, at least 1.5 young per year for three consecutive years.
Those goals were met for the first time this year.
“So this is a major milestone in the recovery period,” McMorris said.
The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service already removed the birds from the federal endangered species list, meaning they're no longer imperiled across their range. Here, the birds' future will be tied to how well and often they nest on cliffs, McMorris said. That's their natural habitat.
Most of those within Pennsylvania are nesting on man-made structures, like skyscrapers, bridges and the like. They present extra hazards for young birds, which often fall into traffic, McMorris said.
Most peregrines that survive their first year live to be 10, so the relatively safety of cliff nests can't be overstated, he added.
“A lot depends on the number of cliff nests, but I'm optimistic we can sustain the current rate of growth,” McMorris said.

Art banded Luzerne.  Sad

Trib Live

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 25-Aug-15, 05:19:04 AM »

That's  good news  Thanks Donna! Luzerne  heart

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25-Aug-15, 08:44:03 AM »

Very interesting, and very good news.  I hope that New York is seeing this trend as well.  It's remarkable that state agencies are doing as good a job as they are in monitoring every nest. 

Just as a curiosity, I calculated the average output of the Times Square Building nestbox since its inception.  From 2009 through 2015, this nestbox has successfully fledged an average of 1.7143 birds per year.  So we're slightly above that 1.5 benchmark, at least.  That's good! 

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: