THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 05:09:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Duluth juvie falcon found in Lima, Peru  (Read 2830 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« on: 05-Nov-15, 09:11:40 AM »

During the migration season, it can be a challenging (and dangerous) time for birds. This is true especially for birds during their first migration.
It is during this time, and shortly after fledge, where the banding team receives the majority of the reports from the Bird Banding Lab on the east coast. Many times this report isn't very positive, because the report informs us that the bird was killed or found dead for some reason (hit by plane, starvation, shot, etc). However, this past week, the MN team received some very interesting reports. One of these was that a young male falcon from Duluth, MN was found in LIMA,PERU! That is over 4200 miles to our south, and the farthest distance we've ever received a report in the 34 years of this program!
This little male was found in a soccer enclosure in the area, and turned into a person who is involved with captive breeding of raptors. A local biologist who also bands peregrines in Peru was notified and he in turn, notified the banding lab, who then contacted the bander. The bird is slightly thin and has a slight wing droop but is hoped with some food in his system and some "bed rest", he will be on his way out the door soon. Hopefully he will stick around in Peru for the winter (safely) and then return to the north in the spring. Where he turns up is anyone's guess! This is another bit of information into the lifestyles of birds, and why we are continuing our work with banding as many young peregrines as possible. This little guy is living up to his latin name "wanderer"!
Stay tuned-as we receive information from our colleague in Peru, we'll let you know.

Banded on June 15, 2015     He went FAR!!!!!!

patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 05-Nov-15, 09:20:52 AM »

Wow!   notworthy

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 05-Nov-15, 10:33:12 AM »

However, this past week, the MN team received some very interesting reports. One of these was that a young male falcon from Duluth, MN was found in LIMA,PERU!

Banded on June 15, 2015     He went FAR!!!!!!

The lengths living beings will go to to get out of Minnesota.
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05-Nov-15, 01:01:26 PM »

Shocked

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
NoraH
Juvie

Like Count: 26

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05-Nov-15, 09:16:19 PM »

Notice it passed up Iowa too.

Where did you find that Donna?  I've been searching high and low for the original article and can't find it  stupid  Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: