THE FORUM

23-Sep-24, 01:27:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: rochester man rescues cooper's hawk  (Read 2830 times)
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« on: 06-Mar-10, 02:27:49 PM »

http://rochester.ynn.com/rochester-news-2004-content/top_stories/498040/collision-shop-owner-helps-free-trapped-hawk

* the link has the video

An ordinary day on the job for a local collision shop owner turned out of the ordinary when he went to help out a local business partner on Avis Street in Rochester.
"When I went in there, I was talking to him for a little bit and he asked me if I knew how to change a furnace filter. And I said, 'yeah, why?' He said 'can you go in the utility room and change to filter for me and shut the door as soon as you get in there, though'. I shut the door as soon as I got in there and this hawk came flying at me - and he said, 'while you're in there, catch that thing for us.'"

And that's just what Mike Cavallaro did. After capturing the Cooper's Hawk, he brought it back to his collision shop and called the state DEC. The intern called a wildlife rehabilitator.

"It probably just got stunned by banging into a window or something," said rehabilitator Lee Brun. "It doesn't seem to have any broken bones, so basically I'll observe it, put it into a flight cage for a while and make sure it is good to go and then just release it."

A Cooper's Hawk is known for its precise flying ability. It feeds on other birds.

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
valhalla
« Reply #1 on: 06-Mar-10, 05:05:25 PM »

This is a great story, but I am not surprised to hear it was a body shop - every week Rich tells me about another shop somewhere in VA, MD, or DE where the guys have either "adopted" a chicken or they have rescued some critter that needed help.  The guys are sometimes a bit rough, but are salt of the earth when it somes to wildlife. 

2thumbsup  Let's hear it for the Body Shop Guys!   clap
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06-Mar-10, 06:02:36 PM »

2thumbsup   WOOHOO!    the_wave

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06-Mar-10, 11:13:45 PM »

thumbsup notworthy bow  great story...and yes to the body shop guys!!! They are sensitive.  Embarrassed

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: