THE FORUM

20-Apr-24, 02:04:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Mid Hudson Bridge Falcon cam  (Read 4642 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« on: 19-May-13, 08:26:07 AM »

http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/53052.html

HIGHLAND, N.Y. - For the 17th consecutive year, the Mid-Hudson Bridge is home to newly hatched Peregrine falcons.

Mom and chicks can be viewed on a state Department of Environmental Conservation webcam, where live snapshots are updated about every 10 minutes.

These chicks are the 45th, 46th and 47th Peregrine falcons fledged in a nesting box on the bridge.

“We are fortunate that our facilities have been so successful in helping re-establish such a beautiful and important species,” said Joseph Ruggiero, executive director of the New York State Bridge Authority.

AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 19-May-13, 02:17:10 PM »

Looking very proud of the three chicks:

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19-May-13, 02:26:48 PM »

I actually live close to this nest. It's all but impossible to see from anywhere on land. I had been looking for years and finally had a friend with a boat find it for me. The way the bridge is constructed you just can't see it. And there's really nowhere safe to watch for birds flying. It's on the Poughkeepsie side of the river and you can only go so far along the railroad tracks. And freight trains on the other side of the river.
Frustrating.

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20-May-13, 08:53:33 PM »

I actually live close to this nest. It's all but impossible to see from anywhere on land. I had been looking for years and finally had a friend with a boat find it for me. The way the bridge is constructed you just can't see it. And there's really nowhere safe to watch for birds flying. It's on the Poughkeepsie side of the river and you can only go so far along the railroad tracks. And freight trains on the other side of the river.
Frustrating.
Very interesting, Dumpsterkitty. I hope the three chicks will fledge successfully. I never seem to hear anything about the chicks at this nest after they fledge, except for one year when the lone chick was found dead somewhere on the bridge some time after fledging.

If you do hear any news, I'd be very interested. I have followed this nest for a long time.
AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11-Dec-13, 06:17:56 PM »

This cam used to be shut down after the chicks fledged, but this year it is still active. Every so often, I find someone at the nest.

AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26-Jan-16, 11:57:28 PM »

One very cute peregrine at the nest box:

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: