THE FORUM

26-Apr-24, 11:33:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Democrat & Chronicle Article on 2016 Hatches  (Read 3982 times)
patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« on: 03-May-16, 08:46:36 AM »

3 Peregrine falcons hatch at Times Square building
 Todd Clausen, @ToddJClausen 1:36 a.m. EDT May 3, 2016
baby1
(Photo: Provided by rfalconcam.com)
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
Three baby falcons - or eyases - have hatched high above ground level at the Times Square Building.
It appears Beauty and Dot.ca have done it again.

The two peregrine falcons nesting comfortably high above ground level in the Times Square Building have seen three of their baby falcons — or eyases — hatch.

One had yet to hatch by Monday night.

The young ones began to break free of their shells on Sunday and Monday, according to the Genesee Valley Audubon Society and Rochester Falconcam.

It's been somewhat of annual ritual for the two. They've seen three or four offspring hatch for several years now.

Beauty and Dot.ca were allowed to take up residence at the Times Square Building after a nest was built roughly eight years ago after a similar nest was taken down at Eastman Kodak Co. headquarters on State Street several years ago.

Cameras closely watch the two and their young ones at the Times Square Building.

Last year, tragedy struck when spotters found that a six-week-old falcon named Bronx died after being injured. Some suspected that the bird, learning to fly, may have flown into something causing crippling injuries. It takes the birds roughly six weeks to learn to fly.

Peregrine falcons, often described as the fastest birds in the world, are an endangered species in New York.

Since the first nesting box was placed on Kodak tower in 1995, 56 birds have hatched in Rochester — 13 at the Time Square nest, according to the Rochester Falconcam.

TCLAUSEN@Gannett.com

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: 03-May-16, 02:14:30 PM »

The local cable news channel did a story too. Wow, we now have 5 cameras. And even more wow, Peregrines can reach speeds of 40 miles per hour.

http://www.twcnews.com/nys/rochester/news/2016/05/3/rochester-peregrine-falcon-eggs-hatched--.html?cid=facebook_YNN_Rochester&cid=twitter_TWCNewsROC
patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03-May-16, 02:17:33 PM »

The local cable news channel did a story too. Wow, we now have 5 cameras. And even more wow, Peregrines can reach speeds of 40 miles per hour.

http://www.twcnews.com/nys/rochester/news/2016/05/3/rochester-peregrine-falcon-eggs-hatched--.html?cid=facebook_YNN_Rochester&cid=twitter_TWCNewsROC
hysterical

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03-May-16, 02:19:35 PM »

stupid

Vandrefalk
Eyas

Like Count: 18

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19-May-16, 04:22:29 PM »

40 mph????  What planet are these people from?

Way to go, Beauty and Dot.ca -- love seeing the fluffballs get bigger every day!
Vandrefalk
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19-May-16, 10:31:23 PM »

crazy

Peregrines know no borders.....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print