THE FORUM

20-Sep-24, 11:27:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Barn Owl webcam - Molly & McGee  (Read 40755 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 29-Mar-10, 09:33:20 PM »

Barn Owl Feeding - still one egg to hatch.

Good Golly Miss Molly! I love her. They are so cute.  angel Thanks Joyce.

valhalla
« Reply #31 on: 30-Mar-10, 06:32:04 AM »

Barn Owl Feeding - still one egg to hatch.

Good Golly Miss Molly! I love her. They are so cute.  angel Thanks Joyce.

They ARE cute!  I swear that Mom looks like a white mushroom  laugh
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 06-Apr-10, 06:28:47 AM »

This Owl Box thing is really getting out of hand, and I'm wondering why. Loyal and attentive readers may remember that last week I wrote about Molly, a mother owl in San Marcos with her four healthy chicks and one apparently healthy egg. That is still the situation as I write this.

Well, Molly has hit the big time, or at least the big time for owls. One reader wrote to tell me that there is a bar near San Marcos in which, during daylight hours, all the television sets are tuned to owl cam. I could not confirm that data, but I do like the idea of daytime drinkers debating which chick can currently be seen poking his/her head from under Mommy's butt.

That's one of the major events going on in the Owl Box. There's also a lot of pecking and rummaging. At evening time, McGee, the male owl, comes swooping in with some delightfully eviscerated rodents, and I imagine drinks are on the house during that bloody yet cuddly display.

But it's not like Molly is the only bird with her own cam. She's not even the only owl. The Hungry Owl Project, which is part of the WildCare hospital in San Rafael, has an up-and-running Barnowl Cam, with up and squirming chicks. Alas, it is not streaming video, but it's still pretty good: www.hungryowl.org/barnowlcam.html.

And there are eagles and hawks and hummingbirds, all with their own cams, many of them with eggs because 'tis the season, and all of them cute in their own bird-like ways. So why Molly? Is this one of those "Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds" deals, where citizens get all involved in something - in this case, a relatively benign something - while other apparently equally appealing things never get off the ground.

I'm thinking about Ponzi schemes. Now, the basic idea behind a Ponzi scheme is not hard to grasp; I'm sure almost any larcenous human being could work out the mechanics. So why do some Ponzi schemes succeed spectacularly (until they fail - failure is built into Ponzi schemes) and others never get off the ground. Is it skill of presentation or timing or what? Was Bernie Madoff that much smarter than all the other crooks?

Why is this owl different from all other owls?

I think the same thing about pop musicians too. Obviously there are a few wonderfully talented or quirky or whatever singers, and their success is not a mystery. (Although not all amazingly talented pop musicians make the big time; they become "cult favorites," which is a term of art meaning "marginally employed.") But then there's the great seething mass of people trying to become pop stars, and a few of them do and most of them don't and the difference between the first group and the second is not perceptible.

Even a gigantic star-making entity like "American Idol" can't make pop stars, not with all the money and the exposure in the world. Of the winners, only Carrie Underwood is an honest to god star, and she's really a country singer who won a pop contest. (Jennifer Hudson, I should remind you, did not win "American Idol," which makes my point very well.) So if you can't create a pop star with all the money and power in the world, and you can't get a Ponzi scheme going unless the stars are aligned, and you can't make your comedy video go viral no matter how much you plug it - what are we to think of the owl?

Popular culture is less predictable than you might think. I know there are singers and strippers and comedians out there who decided to take the low road, because crude always sells, but the interesting thing is that crude does not always sell - although sometimes, you bet - and those people did not make it. You do not know who they are.

And yet, an owl gets 4 million unique viewers and counting. Very few cable television programs get 4 million viewers; maybe they should have thought of putting an owl in the picture.

Maybe reality, provided it's real reality and not "reality" in the entertainment sense, is just riveting. Confession: I have an Owl Box window open on my computer even as I am typing this. The fifth egg has yet to hatch, and it's not clear whether the new owl will live. Plus Carlos, owner of the Owl Box and latest Internet sensation, is answering questions from schoolchildren. So cute.

Owls are all the rage these days - or at least one owl is. Does that not strike you as curious?

heart Molly cam

Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

Like Count: 283

"Cadence"

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 06-Apr-10, 03:55:15 PM »

It's all the social networking that's caused the popularity.  I got invited to be a fan from a friend on Facebook, and it is popular on Twitter too.  I'm surprised their website hasn't crashed from so many hits. 

Wait til we have fluffballs on the main cam!
rushhen06
Fledgling

Like Count: 17

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 06-Apr-10, 04:21:17 PM »

thumbsup

I have been following Molly and McGee for some time now.  They were mentioned on GMA
  a few days ago, although not too favorably.  They have a large following, people from many
  countries log into the chat.  I believe the bar you refered to is the Elephant Bar in San Marcos.
  The local followers meet there.  The gentleman who put up the box in his back yard is
  Carlos Royal.  He waited two years before the owls took residence.
gayle
Juvie

Like Count: 82

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 07-Apr-10, 12:30:40 AM »

A columnist in the San Francisco Chronicle, Jon Carroll had a cute column this morning.

THOUGHTS ON THIS OWL THING
By Jon Carroll

This Owl Box thing is really getting out of hand, and I'm wondering why. Loyal and attentive readers may remember that last week I wrote about Molly, a mother owl in San Marcos with her four healthy chicks and one apparently healthy egg. That is still the situation as I write this.

Well, Molly has hit the big time, or at least the big time for owls. One reader wrote to tell me that there is a bar near San Marcos in which, during daylight hours, all the television sets are tuned to owl cam. I could not confirm that data, but I do like the idea of daytime drinkers debating which chick can currently be seen poking his/her head from under Mommy's butt.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/columnists/carroll/#ixzz0kNwsNKov

Gayle
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 13-Apr-10, 07:01:23 AM »

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=6387874n&tag=related;photovideo  Video

an internet sensation

Question for Shaky: Do you an idea how many people view the cams? I got  a message from a woman yesterday saying she saw my pic of Kaver on fb and asked if that was Kaver from the Kodak Falcons. Obviously, lots watch but are not members here or on Yahoo.  Interesting to know some numbers

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 13-Apr-10, 07:13:34 AM »

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/6106734/highlight/64896   clap

ezsha
Tiercel

Like Count: 25

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 13-Apr-10, 07:33:46 AM »

Advisory: This is a live feed of a Wild Barn Owl and family. Owls are carnivores. They hunt, kill and consume small rodents and other small animals. This is nature and contains scenes of the cycle of life which may occur at any time without warning.

How sad that the web page has to carry this type of disclaimer.
valhalla
« Reply #39 on: 13-Apr-10, 07:42:39 AM »

Advisory: This is a live feed of a Wild Barn Owl and family. Owls are carnivores. They hunt, kill and consume small rodents and other small animals. This is nature and contains scenes of the cycle of life which may occur at any time without warning.

How sad that the web page has to carry this type of disclaimer.

Welcome to the Nanny World!  scared blue
Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: 13-Apr-10, 08:30:55 AM »

Question for Shaky: Do you an idea how many people view the cams? I got  a message from a woman yesterday saying she saw my pic of Kaver on fb and asked if that was Kaver from the Kodak Falcons. Obviously, lots watch but are not members here or on Yahoo.  Interesting to know some numbers

There is no way to accurately determine the number of people (aka visitors) who view the cameras. We can only count the number of hits, visits, and unique IP addresses.

We've received nearly 6 million hits in just the first 12 days of April, but hits do not equal visitors.

We've received over 58,000 visits in the first 12 days of April, but visits don't equal visitors either.

Our site was accessed by nearly 14,000 IP addresses in the first 12 days of April, but once again, IP addresses don't equal visitors because a visitor can access our site from more than one IP address (work, home, school, etc.) and more than one person can share an IP address. However, this is the closest we can get to estimating the number of visitors we receive.

So let's say that roughly 14,000 people have visited Rfalconcam in the first 12 days of April. For all of March, the number was roughly 17,000.

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 13-Apr-10, 08:33:52 AM »

Looks like business is picking up!

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
valhalla
« Reply #42 on: 13-Apr-10, 08:37:01 AM »

So let's say that roughly 14,000 people have visited Rfalconcam in the first 12 days of April. For all of March, the number was roughly 17,000.

It would be safe to assume that word is spreading about the egg laying to piggy-back on MAK's comment?
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 315

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 13-Apr-10, 08:43:58 AM »

It would be safe to assume that word is spreading about the egg laying to piggy-back on MAK's comment?

Most ever useres & guests on the forum was 107 on 04/08 3:11PM...just shortly after egg 1 was laid...

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 13-Apr-10, 08:51:03 AM »

Question for Shaky: Do you an idea how many people view the cams? I got  a message from a woman yesterday saying she saw my pic of Kaver on fb and asked if that was Kaver from the Kodak Falcons. Obviously, lots watch but are not members here or on Yahoo.  Interesting to know some numbers

There is no way to accurately determine the number of people (aka visitors) who view the cameras. We can only count the number of hits, visits, and unique IP addresses.

We've received nearly 6 million hits in just the first 12 days of April, but hits do not equal visitors.

We've received over 58,000 visits in the first 12 days of April, but visits don't equal visitors either.

Our site was accessed by nearly 14,000 IP addresses in the first 12 days of April, but once again, IP addresses don't equal visitors because a visitor can access our site from more than one IP address (work, home, school, etc.) and more than one person can share an IP address. However, this is the closest we can get to estimating the number of visitors we receive.

Wow, I'm impressed with the #'s...thank you Shaky. MK were very popular and so are A&B. I just love how people "stumble upon" this site and your viewer. Out of the blue, they view.  clap

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: