THE FORUM

29-Mar-24, 08:16:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 3/14/10 Sun Evening Watch - 1 Peregrine  (Read 4590 times)
Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

Like Count: 283

"Cadence"

View Profile
« on: 15-Mar-10, 10:12:28 AM »

Looks like there was only one falcon all day on Sunday.  Carol P and Dana had one downtown earlier in the day (Twitter topic).  Kathy O checked around 3:30-4:00, but no pefa.  I was hoping for Archer's return, but not this Sunday.  I watched from the top of the State Street Garage, no pefas. 

NOTE for LOCAL WATCHERS: I was approached by security on the rooftop.  He asked no photos be taken and that dogs were not allowed to run free.  I explained about the falcons and the security guard knew about the old nestbox on Kodak.  I showed him the new nestbox and just as he was leaving Beauty appeared on Mercury.  I shared my binoculars, and told him he brought me good luck in finding a falcon.  He left smiling, but said to be careful using the South St garage for falcon watching because there is 24/7 security, and we are being monitored.

After seeing the peregrine fly east from Mercury at 4:30 pm, I later found one perched at 5:50 pm on the SW corner top of Midtown.  It looked like Beauty.  At 6:00 she flew west and I found her on the SW corner top I beam of Old Changing Scenes.  We seem to find her on SW corners of buildings.  Wonder if she does this for a reason.  Maybe the most common direction from which other peregrines enter the city? 

I watched Beauty for an hour as it got darker and darker.  I was hoping to see if I could find where she might finally roost for the night.  Well, she flew off OCS and once in the air, it was too dark to follow her...but I tried.

~Joyce
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 15-Mar-10, 10:33:31 AM »

Thanks Joyce, great watch. Beauty sure gets around and seems to be on the look out for anything that moves. Hope Archer comes back soon to keep that gal settled. Smiley

valhalla
« Reply #2 on: 15-Mar-10, 10:57:15 AM »

NOTE for LOCAL WATCHERS: I was approached by security on the rooftop.  He left smiling, but said to be careful using the South St garage for falcon watching because there is 24/7 security, and we are being monitored.

~Joyce

Just a thought...
There are times when security can be a blessing and maybe you (local watchers) can turn this to your advantage.  Visit the Mayor's office, explain the difficulty in finding safe watching places where you aren't hasselled, etc.  Suggest that the Mayor's office (or City Manager's or Parks and Rec - pick your contact) issue the local watchers badges or other type of ID.  Obviously, it would help if one of you locals have some City Hall connections (even a friend from high school that could provide intros), but clear ID might help.  Sort of like Neighborhood Watch Groups (there's another idea).  I'm still optimistic and thinking Fledge Watch  Wink
Paul Hamilton
Tiercel

Like Count: 266

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15-Mar-10, 12:33:12 PM »

Good points, Janet.  I've often wondered whether the presence of large numbers of people with binoculars, cameras, cell phones, and radios might deter crime to some extent.  Maybe someone could make a case for the falcon watchers as an asset -- sort of a Neighborhood Watch Association.

Paul
Tokira
Juvie

Like Count: 142

Kaetzchen Gabriella of Tokira

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15-Mar-10, 12:59:49 PM »

Good points, Janet.  I've often wondered whether the presence of large numbers of people with binoculars, cameras, cell phones, and radios might deter crime to some extent.  Maybe someone could make a case for the falcon watchers as an asset -- sort of a Neighborhood Watch Association.

Paul
This is an issue that the Railfan community faces as well.  The transportation security factions don't always appreciate the value of alert supporters keeping an eye out for anything unusual  police
Carol
WV Railfan
valhalla
« Reply #5 on: 15-Mar-10, 01:48:50 PM »

Paul

That is exactly where I'm headed with this - the watchers a FREE Assets, etc. etc., as I do worry about the day the someone complains and all of our dedicated watchers are shut down for reasons having nothing to do with falcons.  The watchers have radios, cell phones, tweet and pay parking.  Lots of good - just need someone at City Hall to jump on board....
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15-Mar-10, 07:41:37 PM »

The mayor's office should be familiar with us because we contacted them when there was a homeless village near the high falls bridge.  They were panhandling visitors and the sight of mattresses and such was  just an eyesore for anyone visiting both from out of town and from around here.  we had pictures that we sent. 

I think having watchers is a good deterrent.

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: