THE FORUM

19-Apr-24, 07:06:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Columbus, Ohio Peregrines  (Read 8888 times)
AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« on: 18-Oct-16, 04:30:44 PM »

It appears that Durand's mate, Spark, may be missing.

From the blog:

Monday, October 17, 2016

Spark MIA? New Male?

Fans have reported the possibility of a new male in the downtown Columbus territory and concern over the lack of sightings of the resident male, Spark. The lack of observations of Spark are not necessarily cause for concern at this time of the year. Courtship and nesting occur in late winter into spring and outside of this time frame some peregrines do migrate (remember that the Latin name for peregrine means “wanderer”).

So it is possible that Spark has migrated out of the area and in his absence another male is investigating the territory. There are any number of falcons out there (called “floaters”) that do investigate territories as they can, especially during migration. These floaters can be unmated falcons or falcons with a territory that just happen to be migrating (perhaps Spark is investigating another territory wherever he may be?).

It is also possible that the other male came into the territory and battled Spark for it. In that case, the lack of sightings of Spark would indicate that the new male was the victor.  However, most territorial battles occur between females and the lack of this other male’s assertiveness in accessing the ledge (and lack of witnesses downtown of such an altercation) would imply that a territorial battle did not occur.

Peregrines maintain the same mate from year to year but quickly find a replacement when/if something happens to one of the pair.  Therefore, the current situation may just be a case of when the cat’s away (Spark), the mice (Durand and the new male) will play-so to speak!!  The birds have no loyalty to a mate if the mate is not present.  Having the cameras running even in the “off season” definitely helps us see more of what goes on. But don’t forget, the downtown territory is large and the cameras only show about 25 feet of ledge space.  Therefore, a lot of the daily action and interactions of the peregrines can and does go on outside of our view.

Our role is to watch and learn and note what players we have when nesting season comes around again early 2017.  Any photos confirming leg bands on a peregrine that is not Durand (or a peregrine lacking leg bands) will be helpful in tracking which male(s) are confirmed in the territory.

To review, Durand's leg bands are:  right:  silver USGS band; left:  black/black 32/X
Spark's leg bands are:  right:  purple USGS band; left:  black/red 32/B

Only time will tell if Spark or the mysterious visitor--or another male altogether--will be the resident male next year.  As information becomes available, it will be shared here.

I think it is very unlikely that Spark has migrated, since he has never done so before. He has always stayed around during the winter.

I hope that he has not been in a territorial battle with another male. Unfortunately, battles between males are not uncommon; I have seen a number of those take place on cam.

I hope that Spark, son of SW and Boomer, is okay. He has been a wonderful mate for Durand and a great father to their chicks.

From where I am, the Columbus cams have not been working for several months. Either an error message states that the whole site is down, or when the site is working, only black rectangles are visible where the live stream should be, so I have been unable to keep up to date with this site.
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 18-Oct-16, 08:20:38 PM »

I don't follow this site too often but have followed the latest news on BCAW. It's sad to read that Spark isn't there anymore..that there might be a new male.  There's several daily posts and pics on BCAW about what's going on, if you want to check it out, Alison.

AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18-Oct-16, 09:01:41 PM »

I don't follow this site too often but have followed the latest news on BCAW. It's sad to read that Spark isn't there anymore..that there might be a new male.  There's several daily posts and pics on BCAW about what's going on, if you want to check it out, Alison.

Thank you for that information, Kris. I just hope that Spark is found safe somewhere.
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21-Oct-16, 05:15:47 PM »

Alison, the new male is banded Black over Red, 30/Z.  I looked up his info, he was banded as a 'she' in 2014 at Bowling Green.

Mother is daughter of Scout and Orville, Aerial.  So he is cousin to Spark and Grandson of Scout and Orville as well.

Bitter sweet as always in the falcon world.
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21-Oct-16, 06:15:09 PM »

Alison, the new male is banded Black over Red, 30/Z.  I looked up his info, he was banded as a 'she' in 2014 at Bowling Green.

Mother is daughter of Scout and Orville, Aerial.  So he is cousin to Spark and Grandson of Scout and Orville as well.

Bitter sweet as always in the falcon world.

I've been reading the saga over on BCAW.  Kind of sad about Spark....

carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02-May-17, 08:15:02 AM »

First hatch and looks like it didn't survive.  Following posts on BCAW, this cam blocked at work  Sad
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02-May-17, 09:30:09 AM »

Sad

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02-May-17, 10:15:21 AM »

Apparently the chick is still alive ...!  I'm asking now if she's pulled it under her yet!
« Last Edit: 02-May-17, 11:02:08 AM by carly » Logged
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02-May-17, 11:16:02 AM »

Apparently the chick is still alive ...!  I'm asking now if she's pulled it under her yet!

That's good!  Who's Durand's mate now?

carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02-May-17, 11:22:33 AM »

A cousin of Spark's actually, they named him Aries. 
carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02-May-17, 01:15:23 PM »

Baby is alive and under mom now.  Happy to hear that news!
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02-May-17, 01:38:20 PM »

A cousin of Spark's actually, they named him Aries. 

Any idea what happened to Spark?

carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02-May-17, 02:02:24 PM »

No one knows.  Likely displaced.
carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02-May-17, 03:27:10 PM »

Well baby alive but she's left it out several times since the whole morning thing- including once for 28 minutes....then again for 10 minutes..so not sure what the motive is but the kid is alive in spite of her.
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02-May-17, 05:04:34 PM »

That's one tough little eyas!  heart

Peregrines know no borders.....
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: