THE FORUM

19-Mar-24, 07:06:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 81 82 [83] 84   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cadence, 91/BA  (Read 438966 times)
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #1230 on: 22-Feb-19, 02:13:35 PM »

Update from Betty Ann:  Sad

Hello. Here is an update on our injured peregrine falcon and the new falcon:

I just learned that the female, 91/BA (band number) has a fractured metacarpal (wing/shoulder) that fortunately was nicely lined up and splinted. Metacarpal fractures take a very long time to heal, so she will be there for several months. Kathy Clark, Supervising Zoologist with NJ Division Fish & Wildlife, said she can be released only when she is fully healed and after any new chicks have fledged at the courthouse because she would likely interfere with the new falcon pair and family. So, at minimum she will be there until late summer.

Thank you for posting the update, I kept checking earlier and was wondering when they would post something.  I'd rather they kept her so she heals up good and past nesting season so she doesn't go back and challenge a female that is hopped up on hormones - it wouldn't end well in that situation.  They are doing the right thing.  Athough I will miss seeing her raise another brood this year, at least we know she is safe and she is in good hands.
« Last Edit: 22-Feb-19, 02:28:46 PM by carly » Logged
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1002

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: 22-Feb-19, 03:01:15 PM »

Thanks so much for the update Carly! I'm so glad she was found by caring folks and is getting the care she needs. Heal quickly Cadence!  wub2

Peregrines know no borders.....
patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: 22-Feb-19, 05:52:20 PM »

Thanks for posting the update. While part of me is sad that Cadence has a fracture, another part is very relieved for all concerned that she will not be released until this breeding/fledging season is over.

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: 16-Mar-19, 09:56:45 PM »

Update on Cadence from Betty Ann Kelly:

I called to check up on our injured, female falcon BA/91...remember her? Alyssa at the Raptor Trust tells me that the vet checked on BA/91 and found that a callus is forming where the wing was broken (the metacarpal) so they kept the wing unwrapped while she continues to heal in an outdoor cage that will limit her movement.

ps:  She also added in response to someone who said the way she understands it is the callus is a good thing as it is new bone?

Betty Ann:  Yes, the callus means the bone is healing.
« Last Edit: 16-Mar-19, 10:02:23 PM by carly » Logged
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: 17-Mar-19, 10:30:28 AM »

I called to check up on our injured, female falcon BA/91...remember her? Alyssa at the Raptor Trust tells me that the vet checked on BA/91 and found that a callus is forming where the wing was broken (the metacarpal) so they kept the wing unwrapped while she continues to heal in an outdoor cage that will limit her movement.

ps:  She also added in response to someone who said the way she understands it is the callus is a good thing as it is new bone?

2thumbsup

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: 17-Mar-19, 03:46:00 PM »

2thumbsup

Good news! Thanks Carly!

carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: 30-Mar-19, 07:28:35 AM »

Found this on the UC forum this morning - I guess someone wrote in asking about Cadence..I've omitted the person's name here out of respect.

Bird Check <birdcheck@theraptortrust.org>

Mar 25 at 12:27 PM

Hi XXXXX,
The peregrine's wing fracture isn't completely healed yet so its
condition is guarded. we have to be sure it is completely healed so
it will be a while.

Thanks!
Barbara
The Raptor Trust Staff
www.TheRaptorTrust.org
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: 30-Mar-19, 07:37:40 AM »

Thanks Carly. I imagine Cadence will be in rehab for quite a long time. It's nice to get updates.  thumbsup

Found this on the UC forum this morning - I guess someone wrote in asking about Cadence..I've omitted the person's name here out of respect.

Bird Check <birdcheck@theraptortrust.org>

Mar 25 at 12:27 PM

Hi XXXXX,
The peregrine's wing fracture isn't completely healed yet so its
condition is guarded. we have to be sure it is completely healed so
it will be a while.

Thanks!
Barbara
The Raptor Trust Staff
www.TheRaptorTrust.org

Bonnie
Tiercel

Like Count: 45

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1238 on: 30-Mar-19, 01:18:01 PM »

I believe it was posted on Union County Falcon Cam that Cadence will not be released until after all birds have successfully fledged and there is much less danger that she and the new female will get into another battle.  August, September or October, maybe??

“No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wingsâ€
William Blake
carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: 30-Mar-19, 01:56:48 PM »

I believe it was posted on Union County Falcon Cam that Cadence will not be released until after all birds have successfully fledged and there is much less danger that she and the new female will get into another battle.  August, September or October, maybe??

Yes it was Bonnie.  Perhaps the person that wrote in asking about Cadence didn't see that earlier post. 
carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: 07-May-19, 06:51:41 PM »

Update from Betty Ann:

An update on 91/BA, our former resident female who was injured in an attack by the current female, "Frida". Raptor Trust, in Millington, NJ, where she is recovering from a broken wing bone, says she is "doing well" and will likely be released this summer once our eyases fledge. This is to avoid having her return to the nest site and engage in another potential battle.

Bonnie
Tiercel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1241 on: 18-Jun-19, 03:48:02 PM »

Some sad/or?? news about Akira, Cadence's daughter at Union County Courthouse in Elizabeth, NJ

Some sad news...Zoologist, Kathy Clark just received a report that BD/73, a female falcon that fledged the Union County nest site in 2018, was apparently injured by a plane propeller at an airport. Her right wing was amputated by the propeller. According to Kathy, "Because she was so calm and easy to handle when rescued, she was nursed back to health and kept in captivity for public education. She's currently in training to stand on the glove for programs." (in Virginia) The incident was reported on January 11, 2019.

William Blake
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: 18-Jun-19, 03:52:57 PM »

Some sad/or?? news about Akira, Cadence's daughter at Union County Courthouse in Elizabeth, NJ

Some sad news...Zoologist, Kathy Clark just received a report that BD/73, a female falcon that fledged the Union County nest site in 2018, was apparently injured by a plane propeller at an airport. Her right wing was amputated by the propeller. According to Kathy, "Because she was so calm and easy to handle when rescued, she was nursed back to health and kept in captivity for public education. She's currently in training to stand on the glove for programs." (in Virginia) The incident was reported on January 11, 2019.

Well, sad, yes, that she can't be free, but good that she was rescued and will live well cared for.

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: 18-Jun-19, 03:56:34 PM »

Sad news to hear but at least she wasn’t euthanized and will continue as an educational bird.

Bonnie
Tiercel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1244 on: 12-Jul-19, 02:42:17 PM »

Now for some relatively good news.  Cadence was released this morning from The Raptor Trust in Millington, NJ.  We are all hoping that she does not return to Elizabeth.  Kathy Clark said it was time for her to go.  I say, probably way past time.  Kathy also said she has distinctive scarring on her face and head.  We all remember that Beauty didn't look so good, either, when she came back to Rochester.  Safe travels, Cadence.  I would love to see you up in my area, but there are way too many falcons along the Hudson River here.

William Blake
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 81 82 [83] 84   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: