THE FORUM

19-Apr-24, 03:56:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Great Spirit Bluff Falcons 2017  (Read 17101 times)
AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 08-Nov-17, 09:02:04 AM »

The nest box at Great Spirit Bluff was taken down, and a new nest box has now been installed. Apparently this was done in an attempt to deal with the bloodsucking insects which have killed a number of chicks over the years.

The area has some very pretty scenery, but I still think that the site itself is too dangerous and unsuitable for chicks, with a sheer drop of some 600 feet from the nest box and no space for the chicks to strengthen their flight muscles before fledging. It has long been recognized in Europe that some kind of platform or deck or other exercise area is necessary to give the chicks a better chance to fledge successfully.

I wish that the new nest had been installed in a safer location.

More information:

https://www.facebook.com/RaptorResourceProject/photos/pcb.1509887962381151/1509876672382280/?type=3&theater

Is that a nest box or a cliff wart?

Good one, Shaky!  happy
AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 06-Dec-17, 06:05:17 PM »

The new nest box looks much better now that it has been finished. The box has been painted, and a perch and a cam have now been added.

AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 06-Dec-17, 06:23:35 PM »

Hamilton (banded black/red K/52) and Burr-D (banded black/red K/51) both survived the fall from the nest box, but when I was checking their band numbers, I found very sad news about Burr-D.

Burr-D was struck by a vehicle and killed on September 21, 2017 on I-90 on French Island, La Crosse, WI. Note the early fledge date [June 3, 2017]. Blackflies were a huge problem at GSB this year. They killed two falcons (confirmed by autopsy) and drove the surviving young from the nest box at a very early age.

After somehow surviving a 600-foot fall, it does not seem fair that little Burr-D had such a short life.  crying

He was not far from home; La Crosse is just across the Mississippi from La Crescent, where Burr-D grew up.

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 06-Dec-17, 09:43:39 PM »

Hamilton (banded black/red K/52) and Burr-D (banded black/red K/51) both survived the fall from the nest box, but when I was checking their band numbers, I found very sad news about Burr-D.

Burr-D was struck by a vehicle and killed on September 21, 2017 on I-90 on French Island, La Crosse, WI. Note the early fledge date [June 3, 2017]. Blackflies were a huge problem at GSB this year. They killed two falcons (confirmed by autopsy) and drove the surviving young from the nest box at a very early age.

After somehow surviving a 600-foot fall, it does not seem fair that little Burr-D had such a short life.  crying

He was not far from home; La Crosse is just across the Mississippi from La Crescent, where Burr-D grew up.

That really sucks!  kleenex sorrow

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 06-Dec-17, 10:17:15 PM »

Every year they say they got a handle on the flies and every year they prove them wrong! Wish they could figure a way. Those poor babies!!

Bye Bye Burr-D, Fly Free  crying

carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 07-Dec-17, 05:54:42 AM »

Sad Sad Sad
patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 07-Dec-17, 10:12:14 AM »

Aww, geez.  Sometimes life is definitely not fair. Cry

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 08-Dec-17, 08:40:40 PM »

sorrow

Tapper Gal
Fledgling

Like Count: 11

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 09-Dec-17, 11:04:06 AM »

Sad news indeed. The Bluff is a dangerous home. Worrisome.   sorrow