THE FORUM

01-May-24, 12:58:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Return of Archer to Rochester, NY - 3/21/10  (Read 25708 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 22-Mar-10, 01:57:31 PM »

I’m on the 10th floor of the Times Square Building and my office faces east, so I have a great view of their comings and goings. Yesterday I got to my office at around 9:00 and there was quite a bit of activity for the following few hours; I saw a group of watchers on the Broad Street bridge. Today they’ve been flying in and out, making quite a racket. Right now they’re sitting on Mercury, one on the head the other at the base.

When they fly to the next box they always seem to zoom right by my windows. Once in a while it looks as if they’re headed straight at me, then veer up at the last second, giving me a great show. Other times I see them carrying in a meal. Hard to believe they can fly while holding a pigeon.

Oh you lucky lucky man!! Thanks so much!

Oh I envy you your front row seat!  Thanks for the report...and welcome aboard!

Bonnie
Tiercel

Like Count: 45

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 22-Mar-10, 04:50:36 PM »

I love the saga of the Rochester peregrines!!  It is way past time for some falcon chicks.

“No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wingsâ€
William Blake
Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22-Mar-10, 06:40:21 PM »

I don't know who is more excited that Archer is back Beauty or US  2funny
Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

Like Count: 283

"Cadence"

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 22-Mar-10, 08:34:03 PM »

I’m on the 10th floor of the Times Square Building and my office faces east, so I have a great view of their comings and goings. Yesterday I got to my office at around 9:00 and there was quite a bit of activity for the following few hours; I saw a group of watchers on the Broad Street bridge. Today they’ve been flying in and out, making quite a racket. Right now they’re sitting on Mercury, one on the head the other at the base.

When they fly to the next box they always seem to zoom right by my windows. Once in a while it looks as if they’re headed straight at me, then veer up at the last second, giving me a great show. Other times I see them carrying in a meal. Hard to believe they can fly while holding a pigeon.

Welcome Mark!  Great first post!  I don't know if you were into falcon watching before, but I'm sure you're going to to be one of the "I am not addicted" fans like the rest of us.  Wow, to have a prime seat looking at the comings and goings, and then to turn to the computer and see it from the other side.  A few of us local watchers went to Toronto a couple years back to see Rhea Mae (Mariah's offspring) and we were treated to her flying outside the the windows of the Sheraton.  We know the feeling of excitement watching them from up there.  Oh Boy, how are you going to get any work done?  I do hope you come and introduce yourself when we are out and about on Broad Street. You can't miss the binoculars, cameras, scopes, and long lenses.  Looking forward to the watches from your viewpoint!

~Joyce
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 22-Mar-10, 09:50:20 PM »

Welcome Mark.  How very cool that you have such a great view of our Peregrines.  Please continue to report what you see and make sure you come down and join us for a Watch when you can.   wave

Peregrines know no borders.....
Mark Bezinque
Eyas

Like Count: 69

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 23-Mar-10, 03:51:30 PM »

Thanks for the kind words of welcome. In fact, it is hard to get work done. On more than one occasion I've been meeting with a client when suddenly one of the falcons swoops by the window!

I've been following the nest box for over ten years. I was on the 17th floor of the First Federal Building until 2000, and I remember one one of the first groups to fledge playing with a pigeon over the river, taking turns diving and swooping at it. I also remember sitting in my office and watching as bits of bird went falling past as one of them liked to sit and eat right above my office. Every now and then I see the same thing outside my window here, but not to the same extent. What's fun is to look at the sidewalk in front of the Times Square Building and see the leftovers of what was on today's menu.

It's been a quiet day today, though I've been in Court for most of the day and haven't been in my office.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 23-Mar-10, 03:53:53 PM »

Thanks for the kind words of welcome. In fact, it is hard to get work done. On more than one occasion I've been meeting with a client when suddenly one of the falcons swoops by the window!

I've been following the nest box for over ten years. I was on the 17th floor of the First Federal Building until 2000, and I remember one one of the first groups to fledge playing with a pigeon over the river, taking turns diving and swooping at it. I also remember sitting in my office and watching as bits of bird went falling past as one of them liked to sit and eat right above my office. Every now and then I see the same thing outside my window here, but not to the same extent. What's fun is to look at the sidewalk in front of the Times Square Building and see the leftovers of what was on today's menu.

It's been a quiet day today, though I've been in Court for most of the day and haven't been in my office.

Can you say "I AM SO JEALOUS".....thanks so much Mark.   Shocked

Mark Bezinque
Eyas

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 23-Mar-10, 03:56:58 PM »

Within seconds of typing that things have been quiet today and hitting "Post" someone flew right past me to the nest box.

valhalla
« Reply #23 on: 23-Mar-10, 05:11:43 PM »

Within seconds of typing that things have been quiet today and hitting "Post" someone flew right past me to the nest box.

I'm sure that was Beauty to make a liar out of you and I'm equally certain that someone will confirm the who  thumbsup
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 23-Mar-10, 09:00:53 PM »

Mark.  If the Falcons really start to bother you and take all your attention from your work, I'm sure that there are many Watchers that would volunteer to stand at your window and block your view.  Hahahaha!   hysterical

jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 23-Mar-10, 09:10:49 PM »

Mark,

have you thought of taking up photography? happy

You'll have an appreciative audience Grin

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Mark Bezinque
Eyas

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 25-Mar-10, 08:48:16 AM »

They're both restless this morning, flying in and out, stopping at the base of Mercury, flying out as far as the Chase Tower (then my eyes fail me, any suggestions on a good scope?), following each other and so on.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 25-Mar-10, 08:53:33 AM »

They're both restless this morning, flying in and out, stopping at the base of Mercury, flying out as far as the Chase Tower (then my eyes fail me, any suggestions on a good scope?), following each other and so on.

I would love to see what you see from your window.  2thumbsup

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 25-Mar-10, 09:04:08 AM »

Mark - A good pair of binoculars would probably be better for you.  You can follow them when they're moving.  A scope's great if they've landed and stay put long enough for you check them out.  I have Nikon Monarch 8X42 binocs.  They're very lightweight and I've been very happy with them. 

Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: 25-Mar-10, 09:52:16 AM »

I agree that the Nikon Monarch 8X42s are great, probably the best valued 8x binoculars for birding in the under $500 (maybe even under $1000) price range -- tough, light-weight, waterproof, good in low light, and under $300. They are definitely the binocs to have with you in the field, or on the street in this case.  thumbsup

But if you're going to have a pair for use in your office only and can spend $400, I would go with a Canon image stabilized 10x30. You'd be giving up waterproof, toughness, and low light capability for higher magnification and rock steady images even with "shaky" hands. These are good trade offs when you are viewing falcons flying over Chase Tower from the comfort of your office, assuming the fire sprinkler system doesn't go off too often. You could also bring them out on the street on sunny days so the rest of us watchers could test drive them.  whistle

So buy both and write off the office pair as a business expense.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: