THE FORUM

23-Apr-24, 03:14:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Harrisburg, Pennsylvania Peregrines  (Read 4817 times)
AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« on: 12-Dec-17, 11:17:43 PM »

Trouble in Harrisburg

As has been his custom almost every year, Lil Dad has apparently gone on his annual vacation. And as usually happens, an intruder male shows up at the nest, so that when Lil Dad returns, he has to battle to reclaim his territory.

This year, the intruder male is the same one who was there last year during Lil Dad's vacation.

From the site:

11/28/2017  ::   New Male Observed on Ledge

A new male peregrine has been visiting the nest ledge since last Friday. This bird is banded, band code 38/S, and appears to be larger and younger than the resident male. The new male was banded in 2010 on the McElhatten Bridge in Clinton County and visited the ledge in January.

The fourteen-year old resident male has a black over red striped leg band with "W/V" on it. He was last observed on Sunday, November 19th on the ledge. Any information falcon cam viewers provide regarding falcon sightings, photos and interactions would be of great value in determining what we can expect for the 2018 nesting season.

Please email to ra-epfalcon@pa.gov.

Niecey has been bonding with the intruder male, but as of yesterday Niecey is not at the nest. A new, unbanded female is there with the intruder male.

So there are many questions. Did Lil Dad really go on vacation, or was there a coup? What has happened to Niecey, and where is she? Will either or both return to their nest?

Yesterday, there were two birds there, one of whom was banded and another who did not resemble Niecey. Today, there was no view of legs or bands.

I hope things will return to normal at this nest soon.

The link to the website has also changed:

http://www.dep.pa.gov/Citizens/EnvironmentalEducation/PAFalcon/Pages/default.aspx
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 13-Dec-17, 05:47:25 AM »

Lil Dad is one of my favorite tiercel's ever - he's the best mate, best provider, best falcon dad I've ever had the pleasure of watching.  I sure hope he's okay where ever he is.  I know he takes vacations around this time but it's going to be a challenge to take back his territory as he ages.  This is how our Hurricane lost his site  Sad

I'm shocked about the new female too...but not surprised.   I can't help but wonder if the new female isn't this male's mate - perhaps they've tried nesting elsewhere with no luck, it would explain his coming back again this year.   I just hope there are no injuries or fatalities.
« Last Edit: 13-Dec-17, 05:57:46 AM by carly » Logged
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13-Dec-17, 07:02:36 AM »

Always something in the world of Peregrines! I hope Lil Dad and Niecey are both OK!

(Kaver)  heart has always been my love! I'll forever wonder what really happened to him!

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13-Dec-17, 09:28:16 AM »

Oh boy-not good news!  scared blue

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13-Dec-17, 10:18:48 AM »

Looks like both females were just there...talons crossed no one is hurt seriously.
carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16-Dec-17, 02:41:38 PM »

Just saw photos by Loza of the new pair here, the banded male 38/S and who I presume is the female that came with him - she's unbanded.  This is the first sighting of a female here since she and Niecey had a run in the other day...

I hope Niecey is safe where ever she is  Sad
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16-Dec-17, 10:57:39 PM »

Just saw photos by Loza of the new pair here, the banded male 38/S and who I presume is the female that came with him - she's unbanded.  This is the first sighting of a female here since she and Niecey had a run in the other day...

I hope Niecey is safe where ever she is  Sad

Sad

carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17-Dec-17, 08:30:54 AM »

New pair bonding at nest box this morning.  They spent a good enough amount of time for me to have a look at both sets of legs.  Male, 38/S and Female, no bands.  She has a very sweet looking face.
carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17-Dec-17, 12:47:10 PM »

New female checking out the nest box on her own.
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17-Dec-17, 02:47:17 PM »

Wonder what happened to Lil Dad and Niecey? Strange for a nest change at this time of year, isn’t it?

carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17-Dec-17, 03:18:57 PM »

Wonder what happened to Lil Dad and Niecey? Strange for a nest change at this time of year, isn’t it?

Lil Dad has migrated the past few years. He usually leaves around the start of December and only goes for around 6-8 weeks or so.  I'm not sure you can call it a migration - maybe a vacation in Florida or somewhere warmer so he can rest up for another year.  

This male came in last year when Lil Dad left and was dispatched once Dad came home.  There was an unbanded female seen after Lil Dad came home last year - so maybe 38/S and her hooked up and tried to nest elsewhere in the area.  They certainly seem bonded, I watched and listened to them and they don't seem to be strangers to each other.  

Niecey and her may have had a skirmish but if this unbanded girl is this males mate - then she may have backed off realizing it's 2 against 1.  She could be lying low until Dad is back and then they can move back in.

We'll just have to wait now for this to play out but Lil Dad is one tough little tiercel and he knows this territory inside out and Niecey is a strong female so it's too early to say what will happen.  It's different this time in that this pair seems bonded - so a bit harder to predict than past years when they only had one to dispatch at a time.  
« Last Edit: 17-Dec-17, 03:30:17 PM by carly » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: