THE FORUM

29-Mar-24, 11:39:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Death of an Eyas - 5/20/20  (Read 2118 times)
Yarak
Forum Bot
Bot
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 95

Keeping falcon fans connected

View Profile
« on: 20-May-20, 03:09:22 PM »

One of the four eyases in the nest box at the Times Square building in downtown Rochester passed away late last night due to natural causes. The remaining three appear to be healthy and continue to develop normally. The New York State Department of Conservation has been notified of the situation. There can be no [...]

Link:
https://rfalconcam.com/imprinting/?p=3522

This is an automated post.
Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 177

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 21-May-20, 11:03:26 AM »

This is probably obvious... but how did anyone discover that the eyas had died? If I look at the images, I would never be able to tell that. I guess if you watch them all quite a bit, you can tell. Poor wee thing. I am sure the "pros" would like to know what happened. (PS - glad to be back after a long absence! XX)
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21-May-20, 12:46:36 PM »

hi Bobbie  wave

I woke up early and brought up the cam and as soon as I saw the baby lying on it's side and not breathing I knew she/he was gone.  It's not a natural position for them when sleeping and of course as I had the live cam up I could see right away that the little one wasn't breathing.  I then looked down at the chat and saw that someone else had observed the baby seemed to be in distress late the night before and they were watching when it all happened.  

Participating in fledge watches over the years and sadly having to pick up deceased bodies from the rooftops after they hit glass - you kind of learn to recognize these things on first glance.   It's one of the sadder things you learn when working in a building that is all reflective glass I'm afraid.  That being said, it doesn't make it any easier, no matter how many times you see it and no matter the type of bird - it's still a loss of a precious life.
Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 177

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21-May-20, 01:28:29 PM »

Thank you, Carly. Yes, I understand that one's experienced eyes will provide answers. Do you have any idea about the cause of death? As with many living things on this earth, I am sure it is just Mother Nature making her own decisions. B.
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21-May-20, 01:50:55 PM »

Thank you, Carly. Yes, I understand that one's experienced eyes will provide answers. Do you have any idea about the cause of death? As with many living things on this earth, I am sure it is just Mother Nature making her own decisions. B.

I have no idea what happened with the wee one to cause this.  I was at first concerned because one of the other girls was gaping quite a bit yesterday morning which could indicate Trich however as I watched her over the day I saw she was trying to eat feathers and other yuckovers in the nest box so likely she just picked at something she couldn't digest easily.  She's been fine the last 24 hours and looks quite healthy so that rules that out.  Unless the DEC recover the little one's body and examines it, there is no way we can know what happened.  I could speculate but I'd rather not as that does no one any good and sometimes it's as you say "Mother Nature" - and we just have to accept it much as we don't like it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: