THE FORUM

19-Sep-24, 06:06:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nice, new nestbox  (Read 4508 times)
imkakkingmad1
Eyas

Like Count: 15

aka Helen P.

View Profile
« on: 11-Apr-10, 10:02:10 AM »

2 eggs - how exciting!! If things keep going so well, it won't be too awful long before the lovely new nestbox is "decorated" with poop-art, courtesy of the eyases  hatch1 hatch1  happy

BTW, did a Boy Scouts troop make the new nestbox? That's a very cool thing if so.

Helen P.
Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 177

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 11-Apr-10, 10:07:56 AM »

2 eggs - how exciting!! If things keep going so well, it won't be too awful long before the lovely new nestbox is "decorated" with poop-art, courtesy of the eyases  hatch1 hatch1  happy

BTW, did a Boy Scouts troop make the new nestbox? That's a very cool thing if so.

Helen P.

Helen P., I was also thinking that re the nestbox. The marking on the box is so clear in today's sunlight, and to think these young lads have made this a project is splendid. Perhaps someone could give us further details...
imkakkingmad1
Eyas

aka Helen P.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12-Apr-10, 11:31:03 PM »

Yes, such as did we approach them or did they ask us... was it an Eagle scout project. Sorry if I missed an earlier explanation. I'm just curious, and glad to see the "BSA" mark.

Helen P.
Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 177

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13-Apr-10, 04:04:16 AM »

Yes, such as did we approach them or did they ask us... was it an Eagle scout project. Sorry if I missed an earlier explanation. I'm just curious, and glad to see the "BSA" mark.

Helen P.

Me too, Helen! I would love to know the origin/story of the nestbox... do tell, someone! Wonderful to have the next generation involved.
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14-Apr-10, 09:19:47 PM »

Definitely made by the Boy Scouts.  I've been trying to find out more about the origins of the "new" nestbox.  I asked June when it was made and she said she wasn't sure.  She thought it was at least 10 years old.  As soon as I find out the real story about this nestbox, I'll pass it along.   happy

Peregrines know no borders.....
Lord G
Juvie

Like Count: 48

Peregrine Paparazzo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 15-Apr-10, 12:06:47 AM »

Before this nest box was installed at TS, it sat in the Kodak Community Center in Building 28 (Kodak Park) for several years.  I'd guess that GVAS approached the Boy Scouts about building it, but Rush NY (the home of Troop 378) is a bit of a drive from Rochester.  I'd think they'd have been able to find a troop in the city to do the work... On the other hand, maybe a GVAS member from Rush provided the impetus to build the box, or someone in Kodak's Health, Safety and Environment department got the ball rolling on this nest box build.  Alternatively, it could have been built as part of Dennis Money's Rochester Peregrine Project, which began with RG&E (Rochester Gas & Electric).  There were supposed to have been something like a dozen nest boxes erected around the Rochester area from that project, so maybe this was one of those.

As far as I know, its purpose at Kodak was to be a demonstrator model (the nest box equivalent of the Space Shuttle Enterprise), but as its origins are shrouded in mystery we may never know the full story.

I removed it from Kodak Park back in '08 and retrofitted a door on one side to facilitate retrieving the eyases at banding time.  Hopefully we'll have a chance to put my modifications to the test later this year...

"Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise"
imkakkingmad1
Eyas

aka Helen P.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15-Apr-10, 09:48:45 PM »

Interesting history... thanks for sharing!

Helen P.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: