THE FORUM

20-Apr-24, 05:43:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tree Peony Festival of Flowers 2010 at Linwood Gardens  (Read 3636 times)
ezsha
Tiercel

Like Count: 25

View Profile
« on: 25-Apr-10, 10:58:51 PM »

If anyone likes flowers, creative landscaping, art sculpture, arts & crafts architecture, history, and/or simply a fantastic view, I highly suggest this festival held on a private estate. It is very small scale, and more like a retreat than a festival. Lots of tree peonies, and a gorgeous and serene setting. I compare it to Sonnenberg gone wild - formal bones with wilderness edges. No pfs, but often a red-tailed hawk, as well as songbirds.  I believe a couple of rfalconcam members headed out last year with a photography group, and the pictures were fantastic, and from 2008, as well. I hope you'll come this year! (P.S. Feel free to ask any questions - I've been going for more than a decade.)

ezsha

The nursery.

----

Linwood Gardens is pleased to present the 2010 edition of the Tree Peony Festival of Flowers. The gardens will be open from 9 am through 5 pm on May 22 and 23, May 29, 30 and 31, and June 5 and 6. Please note that these include the usual three weekends of Saturdays and Sundays, and Memorial Day Monday as well.

Any festival day provides spectacular views of the Genesee Valley, the summer house, and the rest of the grounds and gardens. The variable weather of spring strongly influences bloom times. The earliest tree peonies, the Japanese varieties, should begin blooming first, and current updates will be available on the website. Historical photographs are on display in the Summer House. If it gets chilly, there will undoubtedly be a cozy fire going in the Oak Room.

When you visit, the suggested donation is $8, which goes toward garden preservation. This donation also allows you to enter the raffle to win a tree peony. A $10 donation includes not only the raffle ticket, but also a guided tour.

As there are several resident pets, please refrain from bringing any animals other than documented service animals.

A limited number of tree peonies are available for purchase, to be picked up in the autumn. Additionally, small gift items are also available.

Hot and cold beverages, soups, light lunch fare, snacks, and desserts may be purchased on site. Sorry, no picnic facilities are available.

Further updates will be sent as necessary, including dates for musicians and the recorder group.

As spring is providing a beautiful and peaceful setting here, we hope to see you soon!

Sincerely,
The Tree Peony Festival of Flowers staff and volunteers

----

If you know someone who would like to receive information by email, please have them send an email to linwood.gardens.updateATgmailDOTcom, with the Subject: "Subscribe update".

You can always find information about the festival, open garden days and workshops at:
    http://www.linwoodgardens.org/

--
Linwood Gardens is listed on The New York State Register of Historic Places. Linwood also serves as a private residence and is only open to the public for the Festival of Flowers and to registered attendees of the open garden days and workshops. Current information is always available at http://www.linwoodgardens.org/.
« Last Edit: 25-Apr-10, 11:48:54 PM by ezsha » Logged
ezsha
Tiercel

Like Count: 25

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 03-Jun-10, 10:45:05 AM »

If you want something to do this weekend, I'm highly recommending Linwood Gardens. (Think Sonnenberg gone wild - formal bones with a wilderness feel.) It is a private estate (originally built as a summer estate for the Buffalo Gratwicks) that only opens for this festival, and it sits on the western edge of the Genesee Valley, looking over the Finger Lakes.

There's one more weekend to attend this festival.  Although most of the tree peony blooms are gone, there is an amazing variety of trees on the property - 113 different species from around the world, including cedars of Lebanon, copper beech, Kentucky coffee, Siberian crab apple, quaking aspen, and dozens of varieties of boxwood, many of which were hybridized on the property.

It's a beautiful 45 minute drive out southwest of Rochester, and you can come for lunch! If it gets damp, you can always eat in the oak room! (400 year old hand-carved woodwork, including an impressive mantle and parquet floors, all saved and imported from a demolished English manor house or palace, depending on which version of the story you hear...)

There's a slide show that the Rochester Nature Photography Meetup group posted from the first weekend:
http://www.meetup.com/naturephotography/photos/928770/

There are links to slide shows from the last two years as well on Linwood's festival page.

Grounds are open at 9 and close at 5 on both Saturday and Sunday.  Please leave any pets at home, as parking is only in full sun, and there are other animals on the property.

I hope to see you there! (I'm the younger really tall female that hangs around in the house, and occasionally does tours.)

ezsha
« Last Edit: 03-Jun-10, 10:50:35 AM by ezsha » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: