THE FORUM

23-Apr-24, 05:38:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Local peregrine on guard  (Read 18697 times)
Paul Hamilton
Tiercel

Like Count: 266

View Profile
« on: 09-May-10, 10:06:36 PM »

I went down to my local peregrine territory early this morning.  I was not disappointed.  There was one bird standing guard next to the nestbox.  Based on last year's photos, I think it is the male.  We watched one another for an our, during which he flew to the far side of the river and returned.

I think he is guarding something.  I wonder whether it is eggs or eyases?  Last year, I saw a fledgeling on June 14, so there could have been a hatch already if they are on the same schedule.

Paul
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 09-May-10, 10:18:52 PM »

Nice pics Paul!  From all the white wash in the 2nd picture, it certainly looks like they've been sitting up there quite a lot.  You'll have to let us know if you see any eyases.   thumbsup

Peregrines know no borders.....
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10-May-10, 06:21:24 AM »

Paul, how far is local? Is it close enough for some frequent visits and more pics? Thanks.

Helen in MD
Eyas

Like Count: 76

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10-May-10, 01:51:49 PM »

Paul,
So glad they are back and apparently successfully nesting.  Thanks for the update and hope you can hike down there for a few more shots later on in the season.
Paul Hamilton
Tiercel

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10-May-10, 08:26:47 PM »

Paul, how far is local? Is it close enough for some frequent visits and more pics? Thanks.
It's a half hour drive plus a half hour hike.  I'll probably be going there every weekend I'm free. until the offspring have dispersed.  As you can see, it's a beautiful area.

Paul
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10-May-10, 09:12:33 PM »

It's a half hour drive plus a half hour hike.  I'll probably be going there every weekend I'm free. until the offspring have dispersed.  As you can see, it's a beautiful area.

Paul

Sweet!! Thanks...yes..nice place.

Paul Hamilton
Tiercel

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06-Jun-10, 10:07:22 PM »

After a half day spent at my local falcon territory, I think there are almost certainly chicks.  To begin with, I saw both the male and the female today.  For another, both were spending a lot of time looking into the nest box, and I heard some wail calls over the roar of the traffic on the bridge.  Finally, the male brought back some food, only to be urged of his perch, presumable for another hunting expedition.  Here are some pictures of the pair.  Notice how the wings are slightly spread as a reaction to the high (91 F/31 C) temperatures.

It's been interesting to watch this pair and compare them with Mariah and Kaver and Archer and Beauty.  M&K shared all parenting duties and every shift change seemed to require a few minutes of negotiation.  A&B have more of a division of labor with Archer doing nearly all of the hunting and Beauty doing the childcare.  They also seem to be figuring everything out as they go along, but manage to be quick learners.  My pair, on the other hand, conduct themselves with the efficiency of a NASCAR pit crew.  One bird arives and the other instantly zips off.  If the male hangs around a bit and gives some wail calls after a food drop, the female shoves him off the perch.  He guards the Virginia side of the river and she guards the box and the Maryland side. 

Both of my pair ignore the constant stream of Turkey Vultures and Great Blue Herons that travel up and down the Potomac, although the occasional Double Crested Cormorant gets wacked if it comes too close to the box. That's very different from A&B and M&K attacking anything that flew into their territory.  On the other hand, I found a very dead Black Vulture about a quarter mile (400 M) from the nest box, and Black Vultures are known to eat eggs, so maybe my falcons are just selective, not  peaceful.

Paul
valhalla
« Reply #7 on: 07-Jun-10, 05:50:50 AM »

Good Morning Paul!  Like Helen, I was wondering about this pair (I did do a quick look-see that last time we were in that area, but no body was home).  Do keep us in the loop, please?   clap
Paul Hamilton
Tiercel

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12-Jun-10, 09:41:06 PM »

I was able to confirm three eyasses at the nest box today.  Comparing them with Freedom and Isis, they look to be about 33 days old   -- probably within a week of fledging.  

Both parents have become much more protective.  This morning, right after the male came back with food, the pair kakked at me and circled over the river.  After I moved further back to some foliage that I have been using as a blind, the female flew over to the near side of the bridge to verify that I was still there, although hidden.  After about ten minutes, she flew back to the box, seemingly convinced that I was not a threat.  They also kakked at some Turkey Vultures who passed over the nest, but did not attack them.

All this is a big change from last week, when they seemed very tolerant.    Perhaps it is because the eyasses are about to leave the nest.  Mostly, I shot video, but I also took some stills.  Look  below for pictures of the male, female, and one of the offspring.  Videos to come.

Paul
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12-Jun-10, 10:00:00 PM »

Cool Paul.....keep your distance!  clap Nice clear pics.  2thumbsup

valhalla
« Reply #10 on: 13-Jun-10, 07:40:12 AM »

Thanks for the update Paul!  thumbsup
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13-Jun-10, 07:47:31 AM »

flash coolphotos thanks2 foxbinocs

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Paul Hamilton
Tiercel

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18-Jun-10, 01:02:51 PM »

Last Saturdays's visit to the nest site showed me what was being guarded -- three eyasses.  I've put together a short film of what I saw.  No thought required -- just zone out, listen to a popular international pop hit from the 16th century, and watch the reflections from the water shine on the peregrine pair and their offspring.  It may take a a little time to load, but that's still much shorter than my hike to the site.  This weekend's visit may be a fledge watch.

Paul
Annette
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 147

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18-Jun-10, 01:42:43 PM »

Last Saturdays's visit to the nest site showed me what was being guarded -- three eyasses.  I've put together a short film of what I saw.  No thought required -- just zone out, listen to a popular international pop hit from the 16th century, and watch the reflections from the water shine on the peregrine pair and their offspring.  It may take a a little time to load, but that's still much shorter than my hike to the site.  This weekend's visit may be a fledge watch.

Paul
Lovely falcon video and the eyases already so big.  clap

dale
Falcon

Like Count: 276

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 18-Jun-10, 02:58:29 PM »

Great video, Paul - very nicely put together, good sense of the whole nesting area, and lovely music.
Those adults are really spectacular birds!
Plus, lots of fluff (I kept feeling like it was getting caught in my throat!).
Great work, and thanks!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: