THE FORUM

19-Sep-24, 11:48:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Noise Pollution  (Read 4092 times)
DoggyMom
Fluffball

Like Count: 5

View Profile
« on: 10-Jun-10, 07:26:39 PM »

The noise downtown is, frankly, frightful and I'm just hearing it via the internet. This evening, in addition to the usual cacophony I can hear music, sometimes rather loud given that the nest is well-above the street. I'm wondering if/how all this affects the poor birds. It certainly is enough to drive me nuts. Does it bother them? Does it disrupt their natural behaviors in any way?
Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: 10-Jun-10, 08:34:05 PM »

All I can say is Mariah successfully raised 43 eyases with fireworks at Frontier Field and High Falls, concerts at Frontier Field, music festivals at High Falls, a firehouse nearby, and a major freeway and railway next door.

I don't think noise pollution bothers them that much.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10-Jun-10, 08:46:27 PM »

All I can say is Mariah successfully raised 43 eyases with fireworks at Frontier Field and High Falls, concerts at Frontier Field, music festivals at High Falls, a firehouse nearby, and a major freeway and railway next door.

I don't think noise pollution bothers them that much.

And the gorge had some cool fireworks too!

~Ruth
Juvie

Like Count: 19

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10-Jun-10, 08:47:42 PM »

There is a jazz festival downtown starting tonight
Lord G
Juvie

Like Count: 48

Peregrine Paparazzo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 10-Jun-10, 09:31:11 PM »

The noise downtown is, frankly, frightful and I'm just hearing it via the internet. This evening, in addition to the usual cacophony I can hear music, sometimes rather loud given that the nest is well-above the street. I'm wondering if/how all this affects the poor birds. It certainly is enough to drive me nuts. Does it bother them? Does it disrupt their natural behaviors in any way?

Remember that the falcons are under no obligation to stay.  They had the whole of 2009, when they were using the nest box but not raising young, to decide if Rochester was a good place to start a family.  If they didn't like the noise they wouldn't have come back.
« Last Edit: 10-Jun-10, 10:03:54 PM by Lord G » Logged

"Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise"
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10-Jun-10, 09:52:51 PM »

Beauty was hatched at a university and Archer at a mill.  There were probably an assortment of sounds they were exposed to.  All of these things become part of their environment and probably quite "normal" to them.  They are a bit away from a beautiful gorge and the river so they have the best of both worlds here-- not to mention a good food supply! 

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: