THE FORUM

19-Sep-24, 07:22:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Updated Banding Table  (Read 13527 times)
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 11-Jun-10, 05:33:25 PM »

Oh my goodness!  They've graduated from High School!  Wow!  How time flies.   Shocked

Peregrines know no borders.....
KapiVT
Eyas

Like Count: 9

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11-Jun-10, 05:36:47 PM »

Looking over the banding chart, I notice that Freedom was named by a first grade class.  Those children would be middle-schoolers now.  Is there any way to let their teacher (a Nancy Reid) or the school know that Freedom's son Archer is now back in Rochester?  Perhaps send the school a copy of Jim's terrific photo from today?
Kapi in VT

Kapi (and anyone else who is interested)...as I said above, I found Nancy Reid and let her know that Freedom (whom her class named) is a grandfather.  Here is her response:

Hi Patti,
What a nice surprise this morning to hear from you and to hear Freedom is a grandfather! Just checked out the site and all the news of banding day! I did not know anything about the change of buildings, etc. Wish I had known!

I retired from teaching first grade last year! Have so many great memories of the original birdcam, the wonderful people, and of course, the falcons!  Have a gorgeous framed picture of Mariah and Kaver hanging in my home. Kodak gave me a great VHS (need to transfer it to DVD) of the beginning of the Kodak birdcam which I showed to every new first grader coming to me! Those
were wonderful days of following the antics of Mariah and Kaver. Glad to get all the updates. I really appreciate your email. I will continue the saga now of following the falcons of Rochester! Someday I would like to visit and see for myself! Just saw my first graders  "fledge" from H.S. at their graduation! Wonderful!
Thanks again,
Nancy

Thank you for pursuing this, Patti.  Surely, though, the first graders who fledged from high school are not the same ones who named Freedom in 2002!   Smiley  It would really be nice to track some of them down.  They would have a vested interest in becoming the next generation of fledge watchers.  Oh, well.
Kapi in VT
P.S.  Sorry I won't be seeing you in Rochester this year.
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 11-Jun-10, 09:12:06 PM »

And Ranger-(2001 Mariah & C-S) was seen as recently as last year in Toronto-the classic picture of her with the duck is at home. 

I just remembered I had it saved in Flickr

Nice pic. Is that Ranger? clap

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 11-Jun-10, 09:24:50 PM »

And Ranger-(2001 Mariah & C-S) was seen as recently as last year in Toronto-the classic picture of her with the duck is at home. 

Ahh yupper!  wave

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 315

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 11-Jun-10, 09:24:59 PM »

Yes.  There has regularly been discussion of why peregrines are known as duck hawks.  Most people assume a peregrine wouldn't be capable of catching, let alone carrying, a full grown duck and that the name must mean something else.  Then we pull out Ranger's picture (originally from the CPF-I've lost track of who took it or what year).  Yup...duck hawk!

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 11-Jun-10, 09:39:13 PM »

She's gorgeous!   heart
« Last Edit: 11-Jun-10, 09:45:27 PM by MAK » Logged

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 11-Jun-10, 09:42:22 PM »

He's gorgeous!   heart

Actually, Ranger is a female

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 11-Jun-10, 09:42:45 PM »

He's gorgeous!   heart

Actually Ranger is a she.   Wink

Lord G
Juvie

Like Count: 48

Peregrine Paparazzo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: 11-Jun-10, 09:46:05 PM »

Thank you for pursuing this, Patti.  Surely, though, the first graders who fledged from high school are not the same ones who named Freedom in 2002!   Smiley  It would really be nice to track some of them down.  They would have a vested interest in becoming the next generation of fledge watchers.  Oh, well.
Kapi in VT

Right, unless they accelerated a couple of years.  In 2005 they had just graduated from 5th grade when Nancy commented on my blog post about seeing Freedom at Port Colborne...

"Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise"
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 11-Jun-10, 09:50:52 PM »

Kapi in VT

Right, unless they accelerated a couple of years.  In 2005 they had just graduated from 5th grade when Nancy commented on my blog post about seeing Freedom at Port Colborne...

I googled the school and can't find it.  The only thing I found was a 2010 article that says a school was named for the principal, Charles Avery, and it is now an administrative building. 

Jim, in your blog, she says Freedom sounds like Mariah on the birdcam.  Do we have Mariah's vocalization?

Wish we knew where Freedom is.  I loved that blog with his kakking. 

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 11-Jun-10, 10:13:26 PM »

"I googled the school and can't find it.  The only thing I found was a 2010 article that says a school was named for the principal, Charles Avery, and it is now an administrative building.  

Jim, in your blog, she says Freedom sounds like Mariah on the birdcam.  Do we have Mariah's vocalization?

Wish we knew where Freedom is.  I loved that blog with his kakking. - Jeanne"

When we spoke with Mark Nash during Rhea Mae and Tiago's banding day, he mentioned that a male and female had been seen somewhere near Port Colborne.  This was after Freedom had left the Port Colborne nest site.  Mark said they thought this may have been Freedom.  

I hope they're right and that Freedom may show up at a different nest site someday.

jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 11-Jun-10, 10:15:03 PM »

Me too, Carol.  He is such a beautiful falcon. 

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 11-Jun-10, 10:34:40 PM »

Me too, Carol.  He is such a beautiful falcon. 

And Archer looks so much like him...

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: