THE FORUM

16-Oct-24, 08:23:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Falcon chicks find a new home  (Read 3631 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« on: 15-Jun-10, 08:54:01 PM »

http://www.queenscourier.com/articles/2010/06/15/news/top_stories/doc4c17a611000ed424354249.txt

Two falcon chicks from Queens are now sharing a nest with three chicks and their mom atop the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge’s Brooklyn tower. Chris Nadareski, a wildlife biologist with the city Department of Environmental Protection said the hatchling's original nesting place in Queens was unsuitable because the chicks would have trouble leaving the nest safely as they learn how to fly. He has coordinated the city peregrine falcon program for over 16 years.  more with cute pics Smiley

Bonnie
Tiercel

Like Count: 45

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: 15-Jun-10, 09:00:16 PM »

Just wish I could get into the Chris Naderski loop.  Great story.

“No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wingsâ€
William Blake
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19-Jun-10, 07:01:25 AM »

http://www.queenscourier.com/articles/2010/06/15/news/top_stories/doc4c17a611000ed424354249.txt

Two falcon chicks from Queens are now sharing a nest with three chicks and their mom atop the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge’s Brooklyn tower. Chris Nadareski, a wildlife biologist with the city Department of Environmental Protection said the hatchling's original nesting place in Queens was unsuitable because the chicks would have trouble leaving the nest safely as they learn how to fly. He has coordinated the city peregrine falcon program for over 16 years.  more with cute pics Smiley

UPDATE:

Verrazano Peregrine Falcon Couple Adopts Two:
MTA Bridges Home To 11 New Chicks
Two peregrine falcon chicks found in an unsuitable nesting place in Queens were relocated to the top of the Brooklyn tower of the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge where they were welcomed into the nest by a mother falcon already caring for three new chicks of her own.
    clap

Now she has 5?? Is that bridge any safer Bonnie? I would think any bridge with traffic is dangerous. Wow!

Annette
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 147

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19-Jun-10, 07:08:02 AM »

UPDATE:

Verrazano Peregrine Falcon Couple Adopts Two:
MTA Bridges Home To 11 New Chicks
Two peregrine falcon chicks found in an unsuitable nesting place in Queens were relocated to the top of the Brooklyn tower of the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge where they were welcomed into the nest by a mother falcon already caring for three new chicks of her own.
    clap

Now she has 5?? Is that bridge any safer Bonnie? I would think any bridge with traffic is dangerous. Wow!
Very good news!  2thumbsup

Bonnie
Tiercel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 19-Jun-10, 02:28:09 PM »

I don't know where the scrape is on that bridge, but it could be under the roadway or way up high on a tower and close to Brooklyn.  If Chris thought it was safer, then it is.  He also put that box on top of the south tower of the Throgs Neck Bridge and I thought that was not safe, but apparently it is, too.

I wasn't going to post this given our sensitive year here in Rochester, but one of the Broadway Bridge fledglings broke its leg.  Bruce Yolton thought it might have to be euthanized.  Don't know the result.  I saw both fledglings eating a pigeon about three days before.  Now that doesn't seem like a safe bridge to me.  Chicks are close to the rail of the subway and roadway below.

Funny, I just learned about this from a falcon watcher at Riverside Church.  Saw one eyas/fledgling there.  Both parents were at/near the scrape.

William Blake
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19-Jun-10, 02:31:30 PM »

I don't know where the scrape is on that bridge, but it could be under the roadway or way up high on a tower and close to Brooklyn.  If Chris thought it was safer, then it is.  He also put that box on top of the south tower of the Throgs Neck Bridge and I thought that was not safe, but apparently it is, too.

I wasn't going to post this given our sensitive year here in Rochester, but one of the Broadway Bridge fledglings broke its leg.  Bruce Yolton thought it might have to be euthanized.  Don't know the result.  I saw both fledglings eating a pigeon about three days before.  Now that doesn't seem like a safe bridge to me.  Chicks are close to the rail of the subway and roadway below.

Funny, I just learned about this from a falcon watcher at Riverside Church.  Saw one eyas/fledgling there.  Both parents were at/near the scrape.

Oh poor baby...what a shame...bridges scare me, not only for falcons!

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19-Jun-10, 02:59:01 PM »

Oh poor baby...what a shame...bridges scare me, not only for falcons!
Sad

Bonnie
Tiercel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 19-Jun-10, 03:17:04 PM »

I just read a few whole articles about the Queens to Brooklyn move.  Two chicks hatched atop the Throgs Neck Bridge and two chicks were moved from the Throgs Neck to Verrazano Narrows Bridge.  It also said they 'found' the eyasses.  So I don't know if another pair chose a different spot on the bridge or not.  ??

And the scrape on the Verrazano is on top of the Brooklyn tower.  But the Throgs Neck scrape is on top of the Queens tower.

William Blake
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: