THE FORUM

16-Oct-24, 05:29:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bath police save peregrine falcon chick (Bath)  (Read 4489 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« on: 18-Jun-10, 06:06:16 AM »

Eagle-eyed officers at Bath police station swooped to save an abandoned baby peregrine falcon today. (June 17)

The 6-week old bird of prey had fallen from its nest high on the steeple of St John's Catholic Church in South Parade.

It was too young to fly and, lost and lonely in the police station car park, was in danger of being mobbed by angry gulls.

Officers kept the birds at bay and called an expert from the Hawk and Owl Trust to take the peregrine into custody.

Mike Rogers, from the Trust, put the young male bird into a rucksack – and carried it back to the nest box on the church tower.

"It's just a bit too young to fly, but big enough to leave the nest and move around the stonework," he said.

"It obviously just fell off and fluttered down. But it wouldn't have been able to fly back up, so thanks to the police we're able to return it."

The Bath peregrines have been an aerial attraction for several years. The Hawk and Owl Trust put up a nest box five years ago and the birds have bred successfully ever since.

This year there are four chicks, all ready to leave the nest in the next week or so.

And if, like Bath police, you find a lost young peregrine, the advice is don't handle it – just contact the Hawk and Owl Trust on 0844 984 2824 or via their website www.hawkandowl.org.

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 18-Jun-10, 06:32:23 AM »

clap  Thanks pi...oops I mean Donna! devil harhar

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18-Jun-10, 06:51:48 AM »

clap  Thanks pi...oops I mean Donna! devil harhar

He may have been a bit older than C & J but he flutttered!  2thumbsup

jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18-Jun-10, 09:38:47 AM »

I caught that 2thumbsup  Flutter is good in this situation!  Our hearts fluttering as we deal with this is  scared blue

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
huddiecat
Juvie

Like Count: 44

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18-Jun-10, 05:38:16 PM »

At least there was a happy ending to the story for the little one!  Yes, Jeanne, our hearts will definitely be fluttering this year!
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18-Jun-10, 07:09:47 PM »

At least there was a happy ending to the story for the little one!  Yes, Jeanne, our hearts will definitely be fluttering this year!

Today, I was so nervous watching Callidora that I held my cell phone with me at work in case I had to scream for Brian H or Susan!  She fell over this morning almost when she was walking in the nestbox so seeing her preen on the edge of the ledge was almost too much for me.   Shocked

Anatole France
dale
Falcon

Like Count: 276

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 18-Jun-10, 07:44:48 PM »

Today, I was so nervous watching Callidora that I held my cell phone with me at work in case I had to scream for Brian H or Susan!  She fell over this morning almost when she was walking in the nestbox so seeing her preen on the edge of the ledge was almost too much for me.

My two modest fledgewatch shifts this year reminded me of the most nerve-wracking thing about this time - how these birds' boundless energy and power is coupled with their utter discombobulation!  They flap and flap and flap and do big old hops from one side of the windowbox to the other, basically flying back and forth, with no sense that they had any idea what was happening to them! They'd flap on the edge, and would have flown off a million times if not for the fact that they were gripping the edge with their talons! I also had a phone gripped in my hand - to call for backup in case!!
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18-Jun-10, 08:12:07 PM »

Today, I was so nervous watching Callidora that I held my cell phone with me at work in case I had to scream for Brian H or Susan!  She fell over this morning almost when she was walking in the nestbox so seeing her preen on the edge of the ledge was almost too much for me.

My two modest fledgewatch shifts this year reminded me of the most nerve-wracking thing about this time - how these birds' boundless energy and power is coupled with their utter discombobulation!  They flap and flap and flap and do big old hops from one side of the windowbox to the other, basically flying back and forth, with no sense that they had any idea what was happening to them! They'd flap on the edge, and would have flown off a million times if not for the fact that they were gripping the edge with their talons! I also had a phone gripped in my hand - to call for backup in case!!

Juvies:  silly hyper I swear they do it to us on purpose!

jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19-Jun-10, 12:35:52 AM »

Can you imagine what we would be like if all 4 had hatched?

Anatole France
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19-Jun-10, 06:24:42 AM »

Can you imagine what we would be like if all 4 had hatched?

no hatch1 They should stay this size hatch1   devil

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: