THE FORUM

06-Oct-24, 07:30:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Peregrine falcons shot in Forest of Bowland (not to put a damper on the nite)  (Read 3389 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« on: 29-Jun-10, 10:46:49 PM »

THREE rare peregrine falcon chicks have been found shot dead in the Forest of Bowland.

Campaigners have hit out at the apparent vandal attacks on the birds of prey and said there have also been incidents of eggs being stolen and nests destroyed.

Currently the Forest of Bowland is home to around 25 pairs of peregrines, thanks to conservation and protection work led by the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds.

PC Duncan Thomas, wildlife officer, said: “This is a shocking and disgraceful wildlife crime and the graphic images portray a very sad event.

“These birds have been targeted specifically and are suspected to have been shot. Although now a common species in Lancashire the peregrine has fought back from near extinction due to pesticides.

“We recently had a number of chicks stolen from a site in Wheelton so these two events clearly show that these birds breeding attempts are still at risk.

“Police are aware and are investigating and anyone who may have any information regarding either incident should contact their local police.â€

It is though that the birds were killed late last week but the exact location, as with all breeding sites, is a secret. The incident was reported to police on Friday.

A spokesman for campaign group Raptor Politics, which highlighted the shootings to police, said: “We were shocked and sickened to find the corpses of the three chicks on the nesting ledge after someone had blasted them to death with a rifle.

“Our preliminary examination of each corpse at the scene suggests each chick had been callously shot one after the other where they perched.

“Peregrines are strictly protected in the UK and their illegal destruction is a very serious matter.â€

* Peregrine falcons are the fastest animals on the planet, able to reach speeds of up to 180mph.

Increased usage of pesticides decimated the populations across the country, leading to conservation projects such as the one in the Forest of Bowland.

The birds eat small mammals and insects, as well as small birds, such as quail.

There are around 1,402 pairs of peregrine falcon in the UK.

The peregrine is a protected species and is listed as Schedule 1 under the provisions of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981.

A licence is required before a person is able to even visit a nest containing eggs or young.

Anyone who kills a peregrine or steals an egg can be fined a total of £5,000 for each bird killed or egg taken; any individual who is convicted can expect to be heavily fined or even sent to prison for up to six months.

What's up with these CREEPS!!   Sad

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 29-Jun-10, 11:11:35 PM »

no tickedoff

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Annette
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 147

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30-Jun-10, 12:16:17 AM »

nono  bang head

jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30-Jun-10, 07:24:01 AM »

Time for cameras.  I don't understand how anyone could do this to such majestic birds

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30-Jun-10, 07:27:13 AM »

Time for cameras.  I don't understand how anyone could do this to such majestic birds

Makes me ill! I agree jeanne.

Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19-Jul-10, 09:24:48 AM »

viking
oh that should be 6 years not months
« Last Edit: 19-Jul-10, 04:59:44 PM by Bird Crazy » Logged
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19-Jul-10, 11:42:54 AM »

Sounds like the pigeon racers again, they want falcons culled in the UK from what I've read.  Basically it's a bunch of retired old men that have nothing better to do than race vermin - if they put half that energy into conservation of endangered species or helping the poor - imagine the difference it would make. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: