THE FORUM

10-Oct-24, 12:24:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bumper breeding season for owls in Cumbria  (Read 2673 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« on: 07-Jul-10, 06:53:21 AM »

An owl sanctuary in the western Lake District has said it has had a record-breaking breeding season.

In 2009, 46 chicks were hatched from 16 species at the World Owl Trust (WOT) at Muncaster Castle near Ravenglass.

This year so far, more than 50 chicks have been raised from the 21 species of owl in residence. That figure is expected to increase.

Experts working at the site said early preparation for breeding season had contributed to the increase in numbers.

Andy Chafe from the WOT said: "We're delighted 2010 has been such a successful year so far, which is testament to the effort we made in preparation for this breeding season.

"During the latter months of 2009, aviaries were renovated, disinfected and re-branched, new nest boxes were constructed and sited and owls were transferred to and from other centres to make up potential new breeding pairs."

Most of the owls only breed once a year but if they lay their first eggs early, some will raise chicks in the spring and then again in the summer.

Two pairs of white-faced owls and a pair of ferruginous pygmy owls are on their second clutches of eggs.

It is hoped they will hatch so visitors can expect to see more new arrivals in the coming weeks.

CUTE!!

valhalla
« Reply #1 on: 07-Jul-10, 06:54:13 AM »

Well, now we know what 5K posts brings  laugh  You do need to get out more  silly
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07-Jul-10, 07:07:09 AM »

Well, now we know what 5K posts brings  laugh  You do need to get out more  silly

OMG!!  Embarrassed I  didn't even realize. I do leave the house, I swear. OK, I go babysit all day but I can bring my laptop. Gee, I did the same on KFC too...double  Embarrassed Embarrassed. I was hoping for a flashing banner saying "you just won a free T-shirt".., (click here to claim your prize). Thanks Janet

Oh "Shaky, Shaky, Shaky"  hysterical

valhalla
« Reply #3 on: 07-Jul-10, 07:24:05 AM »

OMG!!  Embarrassed I  didn't even realize. I do leave the house, I swear. OK, I go babysit all day but I can bring my laptop. Gee, I did the same on KFC too...double  Embarrassed Embarrassed. I was hoping for a flashing banner saying "you just won a free T-shirt".., (click here to claim your prize). Thanks Janet

Oh "Shaky, Shaky, Shaky"  hysterical

What is 10K?  Needs to be committed or Needs to get a life  laugh  Yes, I know you leave the house, but it is pretty funny  laugh
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07-Jul-10, 01:10:24 PM »

10K means time for an extended vacation! Maybe to Rochester,NY. yes Oh and bring your laptop of course. harhar rofl

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07-Jul-10, 01:49:17 PM »

I was telling MAK this morning, Donna, that I always feel more connected and in the know when you do your posts!!!

Congrats on 5000 and I love the tag line (never leaves the house)!  Very good, Shaky!

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: