THE FORUM

09-Oct-24, 04:22:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dead Whale Washes Ashore in Ocean City  (Read 4681 times)
valhalla
« on: 09-Jul-10, 06:08:06 AM »

OCEAN CITY, Md.- The United States Coast Guard confirms a 30 to 35 foot long dead humpback whale washed ashore Thursday on near the Ocean City inlet.

Earlier in the day, the dead humpback whale was spotted about 6 miles off the coast by crew members shooting a series for the South Florida Outdoor Network.

The Coast Guard believes wind speeds, up to 8 knots, combined with a strong current brought the whale to the beach.

AND form WUSA 9 (out of DC)...
OCEAN CITY, MD (WUSA) - Ocean City officials say a whale about 20 feet long was found dead near Fourth Street. 

According to town officials, it appeared to be a humpback whale  and they were planning to move it to 65th Street so biologists from the Baltimore Aquarium could examin it.

AND 630 WMAL is reporting that the Coast Guard plans to tow the whale back out to sea.
valhalla
« Reply #1 on: 09-Jul-10, 06:09:53 AM »

One dead whale, Three different reports, all with different sizes and resolutions  stupid
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09-Jul-10, 06:28:00 AM »

One dead whale, Three different reports, all with different sizes and resolutions  stupid

Well, here's 1 report:

OCEAN CITY – A dead humpback whale washed ashore in Ocean City on Thursday, sending droves of onlookers to the stinky scene, and resort officials scrambling to plan for its disposal.

Coast Guard officials in boats and lifeguards on the beach worked together to tie a giant rope around it, with hopes of towing it far out to sea. The stench of the dead whale, acrid like dog breath, hung in the air and wafted downwind as far as the Inlet.

But they couldn’t safely get it into the water, and officials instead managed to cart away and bury the whale. The 30-foot long carcass will be examined Friday by scientists from the National Aquarium in Baltimore before the town hauls it away for disposal. The disposal site is the infield at the town's municipal airport in Berlin. (I thought they said they buried it)???

Lifeguards watched the beast drift inland about 5 p.m. Several dozen onlookers quickly gathered as it reached the shorebreak at Fourth Street. Police soon arrived to secure the swath of beach around the decomposed creature as it flopped in crashing waves.

Ocean City Beach Patrol Lt. Ward Kovacs stood safely upwind, perched on a wooden beach stand. He said he's seen plenty of dead whales come ashore, and this one appeared to have been deceased for a long time, he said.

And while lifeguards on chairs may have gotten the first look at the whale while still offshore, people on the beach were using their noses to detect its arrival.

Several bystanders were overcome with the stench of the dead animal and walked off as quickly as they were drawn to the scene by crowds. Many were heard to say, "it's too much for me," as they covered their noses and mouths. Some appeared to gag.

Mayor Rick Meehan said town officials needed approval from federal agency NOAA before making plans to move it because humpback whales are an endangered species.

"The problem is, once it's on our beach, it's basically our responsibility," he said.

It's the second dead whale to hit Ocean City's beach this year. An even bigger whale washed ashore on St. Patrick's Day weekend, and town officials had to cart it away on a flatbed truck.

Kelly Rouston, visiting from Hanover, Pa., with her four children, was hoping to take a dip in the ocean. But that wasn't an option, as officials kept the amazed crowd far from the shorebreak and tidal pools.

"It's disgusting," Rouston said with a laugh. "It's something we'll never see again, that's for sure. It's definitely unbelievable to see that."

"Nasty!" sneered daughter Kendall, 6.

"Disgusting and gross," agreed daughter Skylr, 7.

"It's awesome!" said her son Harrison, age 4, perched on the shoulders of his sister Ashley, 13.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09-Jul-10, 06:31:25 AM »

This one says 25 ft. Yuck, it looks stenchy.

valhalla
« Reply #4 on: 09-Jul-10, 06:44:03 AM »

But they couldn’t safely get it into the water, and officials instead managed to cart away and bury the whale. The 30-foot long carcass will be examined Friday by scientists from the National Aquarium in Baltimore before the town hauls it away for disposal. The disposal site is the infield at the town's municipal airport in Berlin. (I thought they said they buried it)

And WMAL is reporting towing it away.

WHAT is being taught in Journalism today???

As for stinky, a terrapin washed ashore one year.  This is a big turtle and not pretty when dead on-shore.  Yuck!
Tokira
Juvie

Like Count: 142

Kaetzchen Gabriella of Tokira

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09-Jul-10, 09:43:24 AM »

What NOT to do happened in Oregon in 1970...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploding_whale

Carol
WV
valhalla
« Reply #6 on: 09-Jul-10, 09:45:27 AM »

AND here I thought you were going to provide yet another varient of the story  Wink
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09-Jul-10, 01:51:56 PM »

wave   Wow I never heard of whales being blown up before. It seems kind of barbaric and disrespectful even though it's not human.    Shocked

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
valhalla
« Reply #8 on: 09-Jul-10, 02:21:46 PM »

wave   Wow I never heard of whales being blown up before. It seems kind of barbaric and disrespectful even though it's not human.    Shocked

Everything will blow up naturally given the right conditions.  Yuk!   scared blue
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09-Jul-10, 04:57:43 PM »

Everything will blow up naturally given the right conditions.  Yuk!   scared blue

Well yeah, but they put dynamite in it!  Sushi all over the place! scared blue  Poor whale.

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
valhalla
« Reply #10 on: 10-Jul-10, 05:56:32 AM »

Well yeah, but they put dynamite in it!  Sushi all over the place! scared blue  Poor whale.

Methane, heat, and a little time is all it takes.  The gas causes bodies to float.  Too much, too fast and a natural boom potential. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: