THE FORUM

08-Oct-24, 06:25:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MAK-Crow Vending Machine  (Read 3444 times)
huddiecat
Juvie

Like Count: 44

View Profile
« on: 12-Jul-10, 03:02:35 PM »

Hi MAK,
I didn't know your email address so I am posting this to the list. 

This is the link to the video on the Crow Vending Machine by Josh Klein

http://www.ted.com/talks/joshua_klein_on_the_intelligence_of_crows.html

The green box in the video is the same one which was in my backyard, then on my front porch for months.

Enjoy...Suzanne 
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 12-Jul-10, 03:04:54 PM »

Suzanne, I was never a crow enthusiast but after meeting you, I am much more interested in them!!!

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
huddiecat
Juvie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12-Jul-10, 03:08:57 PM »

Hi Jeanne...thank you!  Yesterday MAK and I were chatting about crows between while falcon watching.  I mentioned the crow vending machine to her and told her I would send the link so she could see it.
Suzanne 
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12-Jul-10, 03:27:35 PM »

I think it is amazing how bright birds are!!!  So sorry to have missed you and Don!  Yesterday I had a grad party to go to and Saturday, I kept missing the watchers.  Third time was the charm!  I need to use my radio more!

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12-Jul-10, 03:29:21 PM »

Suzanne, I was never a crow enthusiast but after meeting you, I am much more interested in them!!!

ditto   Thanks for remembering Suzanne. I found it pretty interesting.    wave

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12-Jul-10, 03:51:51 PM »

Wow Suzanne, that was remarkable. Reminds me of the time that a crow was sitting right out my back door on the railing. I would always sweep my dry cat food that the cats "pawed" out of their bowls out the back door, knowing the birds would eat it. It's usually the starlings that "Glom" it all before the crow could get any, (there were like 15 kibbles, if that). The crow was usually the last to try and grab one that wasn't there. So anyway, he knew I did this every morning. For a few days, he was there and he'd fly just a few feet when I opened the door. He saw the broom coming and "SWOOSH", he went down quick to grab that piece of cat food before the Starlings could get any. After seeing this video, I now understand it better. That was really cool...thanks so much.  mini-bird smart bird.

huddiecat
Juvie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12-Jul-10, 04:20:52 PM »

Thanks Donna!  Glad to hear one of your crows was daring enough to grab a kibble clap

I should mention that we tried for quite a while to duplicate the experiment in the video!  I tried peanuts, but the squirrels or chipmunks grabbed it all.  One squirrel even climbed into the box to get the peanuts.   After trying all sorts of crow-treats, finally tried hot dogs and chicken...yes, I bought chicken, cooked it and cut it up for placement on the machine.  I was under pressure to get the darn thing to work...so much for being scientific about it! 2funny

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: