THE FORUM

08-Oct-24, 02:50:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Jersey, a hidden gem for nature lovers?  (Read 2577 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« on: 14-Jul-10, 05:46:46 AM »

From the bobcats and black bears that inhabit the northwest of the state to the peregrine falcons that nest atop a Jersey City skyscraper and the harbor seals that pass through the Edison Boat Basin, there is an abundance of wildlife in New Jersey. Just ask David Wheeler, founder of the nature blog “Wild New Jersey” and director of operations for the Edison Wetlands Association. Wheeler spent nearly a year in 2008 and 2009 scouring the entire state detailing its wildlife, the results of which can be found in his first book, “Wild New Jersey: Nature Adventures in the Garden State.”

The book will be released in February 2011 through Rutgers University Press. An excerpt is currently featured in the Rutgers University Press Fall/Winter 2010 Catalog, which was just released.

“It was certainly an eye-opening experience to see along with the [wildlife] experts,” Wheeler said. “It’s just incredible where this wildlife is.” Wheeler said that with this book, he hopes to relay to the public that there is a diverse array of animal life in the Garden State.

“When you think of New Jersey, it doesn’t get that reputation of a place of having wildlife. The state gets some good connotations, but most are negative,” he said. “New Jersey is really a hidden gem for nature lovers, and I hope I captured all of the different aspects for the nature expert as well as for a family who wants to spend time outdoors.”

One chapter of the book focuses on the Dismal Swamp Conservation Area in Edison, Metuchen and South Plainfield, while another highlights the Raritan Estuary running through Edison, Woodbridge, New Brunswick and other towns Wheeler said he had many memorable experiences during the year of taking weekend trips around the state. He went on one with biologists to see the peregrine falcons, which he said were close to extinct 25 years ago, nesting on top of a building in Jersey City.

“The biologists go up every year to check on the chicks,” said Wheeler. “They are strong, fierce and fast predators. The mother and father took turns nose-diving at us, protecting their chicks, so one of the biologists had to hold an umbrella to protect us. It was an absolutely amazing experience overlooking the New York skyline.”

A peregrine falcon rests atop a Jersey City skyscraper. PHOTO COURTESY OF DAVID WHEELER A peregrine falcon rests atop a Jersey City skyscraper. PHOTO COURTESY OF DAVID WHEELER Wheeler, who noted that he went dog sledding at High Point State Park in Sussex County, said he still has not been able to find a bobcat in New Jersey. “They are very secretive and rarely encountered, but they have a healthy population in New Jersey, from studies that have been done,” he said. “Their population usually resides north of Route 80.”

Speaking of the southern part of the state, Wheeler said the Cape May area is “arguably the best spot for birds.”

Overall, he said, New Jersey has some amazing natural attributes, with its beaches, valleys and the Pine Barrens.

Wheeler explained that beluga whales pass through, as do manatees, which are large, unique creatures usually found in the warm waters off Florida, and there are a dozen species of sharks in local waters. The state is also along the path of migration for a moose from the Adirondacks.

“We get the best of both worlds regarding wildlife,” he said. “New Jersey is the farthest south for some species from the north to migrate to, and the farthest north for some species from the south to migrate to.”
Jersey City Falcon

an Osprey from Edison

valhalla
« Reply #1 on: 14-Jul-10, 05:52:50 AM »

Never saw a moose, but the bobcat was in the hills off Union Valley Road  around 1973/1974 (ish).  A couple of the guys in my class did encounter the cat.  Now that ridge is occupied by the black bear.
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14-Jul-10, 10:09:55 AM »

wave   Hey Donna and Janet have either of you seen the beluga whales and manatees? Moose in New Jersey...COOL!    harhar

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
valhalla
« Reply #3 on: 14-Jul-10, 11:04:37 AM »

wave   Hey Donna and Janet have either of you seen the beluga whales and manatees? Moose in New Jersey...COOL!    harhar

Nope!  But I have seen lots of dolphins off Atlantic City - about 5 miles offshore.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14-Jul-10, 11:36:03 AM »

Nope!  But I have seen lots of dolphins off Atlantic City - about 5 miles offshore.

Nope, no Beluga's, (only in captivity). Manatees, yes, in Fla. They are awesome.

Bonnie
Tiercel

Like Count: 45

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 14-Jul-10, 08:32:13 PM »

Well!  I love those peregrines in Jersey City!!  Yup, jersey is a good place to go.  We were seasonal dampers on the Delaware for many years - bears, bobcats, falcons.

I have almost the same picture of the falcon male on top of 101 Hudson.

Look for a not so good news update in other raptor web cams.

“No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wings”
William Blake
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: