THE FORUM

06-Oct-24, 01:34:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ospreys Love Garbage…but the mix can be deadly  (Read 4525 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« on: 19-Jul-10, 06:48:05 AM »

Ospreys love to bring garbage back to their nests. While out checking on nests I’ve found everything from rope, fishing line, flip flops, plastic bags, a Frisbee, hats and even a plastic crab in nests.  The problem is that every year while volunteers and staff are checking on nests at least one chick is found entangled in this garbage. Fishing line gets caught around their feet and legs and a plastic bag can entangle a chick.  If no one went out to check on these nests most of these chicks wouldn’t make it.  It’s not only the chicks that suffer from the garbage we throw out. Adult ospreys have been found dead and hanging from fishing line.  Ospreys and other species whose diet consists of mostly fish are particularly vulnerable to injury and death from fishing line and hooks.  During a visit to an NJ eagle nest a chick was found with a fishing hook embedded in its mouth.  I have also found horseshoe crabs and terrapins entangled in fishing line and these are just a few examples of  how garbage effects wildlife.
There are some simple steps that we can all take to keep trash out of the environment.

* Pick up and dispose of any fishing line or hooks you use or find.

* Use reusable bags instead of plastic whenever possible and encourage others to do the same.

Thank you!

Plastic bag in osprey nest

Rope and fishing line found in Osprey nest.

valhalla
« Reply #1 on: 19-Jul-10, 06:55:23 AM »

The German storks liked plastic this year, too.   confused
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19-Jul-10, 07:01:18 AM »

So did the Hawks.. Sad

valhalla
« Reply #3 on: 19-Jul-10, 07:10:42 AM »

So did the Hawks.. Sad

Osprey will also pick up teddy bears and all kinds of stuff.  Monofilament fishing line is a problem for everyone (including people, as it can get tangled around and into everything).
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19-Jul-10, 07:34:45 AM »

So did the Hawks.. Sad

Osprey will also pick up teddy bears and all kinds of stuff.  Monofilament fishing line is a problem for everyone (including people, as it can get tangled around and into everything).

That disgusts me when people leave fishing line..(with hooks). There's no reason for this behavior.

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19-Jul-10, 08:12:58 AM »

wave   Laziness and ignorance are the reasons.    aaarggh bang head

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Patti from Kentucky
Tiercel

Like Count: 58

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 19-Jul-10, 08:48:55 PM »

Two out of the three Osprey chicks on the KY Osprey camera this year had to be rescued when they got tangled in monofilament line...
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20-Jul-10, 05:55:48 AM »

Two out of the three Osprey chicks on the KY Osprey camera this year had to be rescued when they got tangled in monofilament line...

Ahh poor babies, at least they helped them. Thanks Patti.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: