THE FORUM

27-Apr-24, 11:54:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Falcon still missing (Windsor Ontario)  (Read 3055 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« on: 12-Aug-09, 10:03:39 PM »

WINDSOR, Ont. -- Leslie Papia was sure that a peregrine falcon was hanging around her backyard in LaSalle. George Conway thought the falcon was visiting his Amherstburg home. Another LaSalle resident, who didn’t want to be named, said that she shooed the falcon off her fence after it attacked other birds in the area.

Nancy Phillips, the president of Wings Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre, said she received around 10 calls by early Tuesday afternoon from residents who thought they found the male falcon that went missing from the rehabilitation centre Friday.

“We’ve called most people back; we’ve had extensive conversations. A lot of them are just birds of prey, probably red-tailed hawks,” said Phillips. “I don’t think people know what they’re looking for.”

Papia said the bird that had been flying around in her backyard appeared to be acting strangely and looked large enough to be a falcon.

“It hasn’t left these two yards, which is kind of odd,” she said, adding it had been there for around two weeks. She said the bird is “huge” and had a hard time sitting up.

A nest and three birds were found near her house, meaning the bird she saw was most likely not the falcon.

Conway, who lives closer to the rehabilitation centre, noticed a large bird around his house on Sunday.

“This morning, we heard this bird calling. I would say it was a falcon, it looked very much like a falcon,” he said. “His behaviour is not normal, they don’t usually sit travelling distance of a human being.”

Phillips said Conway’s bird is probably not the peregrine falcon because of its flying habits.

“This bird is definitely flying, it’s definitely not him,” she said, adding that falcons are very distinctive.

“These guys are black and white, they’re very vivid in colour. They would be the size from your wrist to your elbow,” she said.

The falcon would also be sluggish and wouldn’t be flying as often as a healthy bird.

The young bird was one of two chicks that hatched in May on the Windsor side of the Ambassador Bridge, where they nested. The second bird, a female, didn’t survive, but the male was taken in by Wings after it broke its wing in late June.

A hole was found in the falcon’s outdoor cage on Friday.

After examining the area, police said the hole was not made by an animal.

“There were no hole marks and the hole wasn’t there the night before, when the animal was last fed,” said Joan Lovell, a senior constable with the Amherstburg police. “It doesn’t make sense … the bird would not have exited.”

While Lovell wouldn’t confirm theft this early in the investigation, Phillips thinks that is likely what happened.

“We were really hoping it had been a rodent. Now I’ve been told today it’s definitely not that. I’ve been doing this 30 years,” she said. “To not have an ending is really maddening.”

Still, Phillips is hopeful.

“I’m hoping that if he did escape, someone will find him and we can identity him by his X-rays. I’m hoping that will come to light in the next few days.”

crying ???

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 12-Aug-09, 10:17:34 PM »

!!! Voltaire and Freddie!!!
August 10, 2009 - Windsor - Ambassador Bridge
Dennis Patrick Reports:

Our resident pair of peregrines is making it VERY-VERY-VERY Clear that they are not going any where. Both of them are roosting not 50 yards from the nest at most times. They go on the nest ledge and off the nest ledge, back into the corner of the nest ledge. From University Avenue you can hear them SO LOUD. I think there parent clocks are still running that they should be caring for young. If there was ever any doubt that they were going to hang on to that nest ledge even though they lost their young..PUT IT OUT OF YOUR MIND. You can relax!!!
I wanted to post this to put your minds at ease but have some very disturbing news to post about Junior our little fella. D&G crying crying crying

jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12-Aug-09, 11:40:37 PM »

i hope they find him safe and the person/people who took him.  What an awful thing for all involved.  Wonder if they have cameras set up at that rehab center.  I know some folks believe that nature should take its course and not to rescue but this little guy was rescued and this situation will add to the stress of his injuries.  Humans, are sometimes, so stupid. Sad

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: