THE FORUM

29-Mar-24, 03:40:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Richmond, VA Falcons  (Read 77726 times)
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: 08-Oct-14, 06:11:53 PM »

Thank you Alison and Kris!  Good news!  happy

Pefa is doing so well..will be a great education Ambassador for WCV!  She honks just like Beauty does!   laugh

AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: 10-Oct-14, 04:18:44 PM »

I loved watching the video of the little Richmond juvie. She is obviously very intelligent and is doing incredibly well. The best part was seeing her fly and land with confidence. It seems that she is able to compensate extremely well for the depth perception problems which she will have.

And you're right, Kris G., she does honk! I had been wondering how to describe that sound she makes.  happy
« Last Edit: 10-Oct-14, 06:49:03 PM by AlisonL » Logged
AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: 10-Oct-14, 04:25:19 PM »

Very sad news this afternoon about the other peregrine juvie at the Wildlife Center, the little male who was found in a field, and had surgery on October 3.

October 10, 2014

On the afternoon of October 7, Dr. Helen found Peregrine Falcon #14-2208 dead in his enclosure. The staff were surprised and saddened; the falcon’s death is likely due to the combination of the bird’s thin body condition, the stress of surgery, the prolonged recovery from anesthesia, and severity of the wing fracture.

At least the people at the Wildlife Center did their best to try to help him. If only people had not waited three days before finding help for him, perhaps things could have been different. Poor beautiful little juvie.  Cry
PatriciaRose
Juvie

Like Count: 23

Nor'Easter

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: 10-Oct-14, 05:52:48 PM »

sorrow
Very sad news this afternoon about the other peregrine juvie at the Wildlife Center, the little male who was found in a field, and had surgery on October 3.

October 10, 2014

On the afternoon of October 7, Dr. Helen found Peregrine Falcon #14-2208 dead in his enclosure. The staff were surprised and saddened; the falcon’s death is likely due to the combination of the bird’s thin body condition, the stress of surgery, the prolonged recovery from anesthesia, and severity of the wing fracture.

At least the people at the Wildlife Center did their best to try to help him. If only people had not waited three days before finding help for him, perhaps things could have been different. Poor beautiful little juvie.  Cry

sorrow

“There is a destiny That makes us brothers: None goes his way alone: All that we send into the lives of others Comes back into our own.”
~~Edwin Markham
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: 10-Oct-14, 06:39:15 PM »

sorrow sorrow
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: 10-Oct-14, 06:43:14 PM »

sorrow

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: 10-Oct-14, 09:01:15 PM »

Alison, my sentiments exactly!  "If only people had not waited three days before finding help for him, perhaps things could have been different."   crying sorrow

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: 16-Oct-14, 06:06:00 PM »

An update from the Wildlife Center today on the little Richmond juvie:

October 16, 2014

Peregrine Falcon #14-1319 continues to do very well with her training. Amanda and Raina are working with the falcon daily, although the bird now spends a significant amount of time in her outdoor enclosure. She still readily flies to the glove when Amanda or Raina ask her to.

While work with the bird will continue over the next few weeks, both Amanda and Raina agree that this has been an amazingly fast training and assessment period for the falcon. With achievements made to date, it's time to declare the Peregrine Falcon as the newest official member of the Outreach Team.

The last step – choosing a name – will take place in a few weeks at the Wildlife Center’s annual gala on November 1. There, the naming rights for the Peregrine Falcon will be auctioned off in the Center’s live auction. Stay tuned for more information, including how you can place an absentee bid on this incredible honor!

While this is not the life she should have had, I think she can still have a good life and that she will be a wonderful ambassador for raptors.
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: 16-Oct-14, 06:31:40 PM »

October 16, 2014

Peregrine Falcon #14-1319 continues to do very well with her training. Amanda and Raina are working with the falcon daily, although the bird now spends a significant amount of time in her outdoor enclosure. She still readily flies to the glove when Amanda or Raina ask her to.

While work with the bird will continue over the next few weeks, both Amanda and Raina agree that this has been an amazingly fast training and assessment period for the falcon. With achievements made to date, it's time to declare the Peregrine Falcon as the newest official member of the Outreach Team.

The last step – choosing a name – will take place in a few weeks at the Wildlife Center’s annual gala on November 1. There, the naming rights for the Peregrine Falcon will be auctioned off in the Center’s live auction. Stay tuned for more information, including how you can place an absentee bid on this incredible honor!

While this is not the life she should have had, I think she can still have a good life and that she will be a wonderful ambassador for raptors.

Great news and she'll have a great life at WCV!  Can't wait to hear what her chosen name will be!

PatriciaRose
Juvie

Nor'Easter

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: 16-Oct-14, 07:11:33 PM »

October 16, 2014

Great to hear this! Neat way for the picking the name!

“There is a destiny That makes us brothers: None goes his way alone: All that we send into the lives of others Comes back into our own.”
~~Edwin Markham
Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: 16-Oct-14, 10:43:03 PM »

October 16, 2014

Great to hear this! Neat way for the picking the name!

We should try that here. I've always wanted a falcon named Golisano.
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: 12-Dec-14, 03:16:26 PM »

The Richmond juvie, now a resident of the WCV, has been named Maggie after Maggie Walker of Virginia!   

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maggie_L._Walker

Peregrine Maggie was hatched on a bank!  Great choice!   clap

PatriciaRose
Juvie

Nor'Easter

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: 12-Dec-14, 06:37:22 PM »

Maggie- I like it! thumbsup

~~Edwin Markham
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: 12-Dec-14, 08:35:23 PM »

Great name!  Grin

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: 21-Mar-15, 04:40:51 AM »

First egg for the Richmond pair on the evening of March 20:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: