THE FORUM

24-Apr-24, 03:38:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: red knots news: B-95 is still alive and kicking!!  (Read 2234 times)
Mirta
Fledgling

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« on: 21-Aug-10, 04:32:03 PM »

Hi! I`m glad to copy you a message fot Charles Duncan, telling us that B-95, our Highlander red knot was seen again few day ago in Mingan, Canada
He is an incredible bird!  2thumbsup
Mirta

Dear friends, 

Greetings from Guadalajara, Mexico, where I am participating in the closing events of the three Rare Pride campaigns for Red Knots in Argentina. 

Diego Luna, Manomet's Southern Cone Coordinator for the Shorebird Recovery Project, and I had very productive meetings today with the three campaign managers and the Rare staff based here.  Tomorrow we hear the final presentations and have been honored to be asked to say a few words in the closing ceremonies.

You'll recall the story of B-95, the Red Knot who was first banded in 1995 (at age 2 or more) in Tierra del Fuego.  He was last seen in December 2009 back at the site where he was banded, http://www.whsrn.org/news/article/red-knot-superstar-b-95-seen-again-tierra-del-fuego-argentina.

For the first time in several years he wasn't seen in Delaware Bay this May, and I was saddened to think he might not be with us any more.  But against all odds, we got the short and thrilling news (below) from Dr. Allan Baker, Senior Curator of Ornithology and Head of the Department of Natural History at the Royal Ontario Museum, that B-95 was seen at 11:00 a.m. today by Canadian researcher, Yves Aubry, at the Mingan Archipelago, at the mouth of the Gulf of St. Lawrence!  This is truly “une belle retrouvaille ornithologique” [a beautiful ornithological reunion”]!

We can even infer from his relatively late-in-the-season arrival that B-95 again probably bred successfully (at age 17+), and stayed behind--as most male shorebirds do--to care for the juveniles who are the last to migrate.

Our gratitude goes to Yves and Allan for getting the word to us so quickly, and to the many dedicated shorebird researchers and conservationists who are working so hard to recover the populations of this almost magical little bird.  And, of course, our thanks to all of you who have contributed so much in so many ways.

All the best,

--Charles

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, 19 August 2010 4:31 PM;
Subject: Fwd: Retrouvaille ornithologique Ă  Quarry aujourd'hui ! Indice : B-95...

Good news - B95 is still alive!!  Cheers, Allan.

Dr. Allan J. Baker
Head, Department of Natural History
Royal Ontario Museum
Toronto, ON
And Professor of Ecology & Evolutionary Biology
University of Toronto
Canada

Ph: 416-586-5520

Bonjour Ă  tous,

Une belle retrouvaille a eu lieu dans l'archipel ce matin :

Le chercheur Yves Aubry a observé B-95 vers 11h ce matin sur l'ßle
Quarry !

Ce BĂ©casseau maubĂȘche, baptisĂ© il y a 15 ans, continue de nous
Ă©merveiller Smiley.  B-95 serait nĂ© en 1993 ou avant... il a donc au moins
ans!

Bonne journée à tous!,

Charles D. Duncan, Director
Shorebird Recovery Project
Manomet Center for Conservation Sciences
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 21-Aug-10, 04:42:28 PM »

Great news, Mirta and truly incredible!  Thanks for posting!  clap

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21-Aug-10, 05:09:37 PM »

Great news, Mirta and truly incredible!  Thanks for posting!  clap

I agree, that is amazing. Congrats Mirta!  and here is B-95" (in winter plumage) in Tierra del Fuego

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21-Aug-10, 05:16:34 PM »

This is WONDERFUL news Mirta!   clap

Live long and prosper B-95!

Thanks for sharing.

Peregrines know no borders.....
Pages: [1]   Go Up