THE FORUM

27-Apr-24, 11:57:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Family rescues baby hummingbird  (Read 4080 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« on: 15-Aug-09, 08:10:54 AM »

FRUITPORT -- While cleaning up broken limbs and downed trees fromSunday's storm, a Fruitport family made a surprising discovery.

"I looked down and there was a baby hummingbird," says Circle Drive resident Zac Draeger.

The baby hummingbird was clinging to a broken twig in a pile of limbs knocked down by the storm's powerful winds.

"I didn't think the bird had a chance the way it was shivering," says Zac.

TheDraeger family carried the shivering chick inside and let it sip somesugar water. After it survived the night, they put the chick outside ona patio table, still clinging to his twig. Within minutes, they say themother found her baby and has been flying in for regular feedings.

The Draeger's lost power for a few days and many of their trees are gone ordamaged. But they say helping save and care for the baby hummingbirdhas helped put their own problems into perspective.

"With bad there is always good, if you look in the right spot," says Brian Draeger.

"We had no idea it would even live and now it looks like it will fly away," says Terri Draeger.

"It's a miracle I guess," says Zac.

The Draegers named the bird Spatula Peep Hernandez. Brian says the moniker just popped into his head. 2thumbsup

annieinelkhart
Juvie

Like Count: 23

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 15-Aug-09, 11:11:52 AM »

Hey Donna!  I have relatives in Fruitport, MI (I do think that is where the article on the hummingbird was from?) and they say it is a mess up there with tress down all over the place.  Very cool to find that little (and I do mean LITTLE!) one and care for it like that.   2thumbsup  clap  notworthy

EVERY DAY I THANK OUR TROOPS FOR ALL THEY DO FOR US!  IT IS THE LEAST I CAN DO!
Annette
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 147

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15-Aug-09, 12:34:24 PM »

Hi,

FRUITPORT -- While cleaning up broken limbs and downed trees from Sunday's storm, a Fruitport family made a surprising discovery.
[...]

lucky little hummingbird!  yes

Greetings
Annette

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: