THE FORUM

27-Apr-24, 04:37:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pigeon song Bobbie was writing about  (Read 8014 times)
anneintoronto
« Reply #15 on: 01-Sep-10, 06:14:35 PM »

I had an interesting experience this Summer.  It was mid July 2010 and pigeons, Squiggles (pop) and Black Dove (mom), had two eggs brooding.  Then one day, out of the blue, Peaky, named for her funny Elvis Presley peak of feathers from the back of her head -- turned up...  She was hatched on our balcony, to these same two parents, in July 2009.  And, who does she bring with her -- one of her offspring!  This little one had the neatest white cap on her head, hence her name, Cappy.  Peaky came and went, leaving Cappy, who was a very young fledgling, in the care of her grandparents!  I was astounded, when they were brooding eggs, that they would both happily feed and kept Cappy near to them, especially at night...even groomed her head!  All their actions were so gentle and purposeful!  When the two eggs hatched, introducing us to Snapper (the only one without white wings...) and Fortuna (with her sister's funny peaked feathers!), Cappy was still cared for for another week or so, when she, now bigger and more self-sufficient, took off for far away spaces...  But Peaky stayed around until last week, although her presence was no longer looked upon kindly by the new parents.  Now she is gone, too.  I never knew you could have 3 generations of distinctive pigeons all co-habitating one balcony, especially with Peaky and Snapper and Fortuna being brother and sisters over a year time lapse and now the new little pipsqueak makes 4!  There actually is another out there somewhere -- Peaky's brother, Australia, who had a black continent, shaped like Australia, in the middle of his white head!  He disappeared last year...  I've never tried to tame any of these pigeons...  If I go near to them, they take off in a flap!  but they tolerate me taking photos of the kids!  I feel very lucky to have a share in their lives!!  By the way, Squigs and Dove are coming into the apartment to feed the littlest one!  No problem!!
Anne C. (Toronto, ON Canada, eh!) penguinspin
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: