THE FORUM

25-Apr-24, 04:13:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 98 99 [100] 101 102 103 104 ... 161   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Canada Falcons: All but those hatched in Rochester  (Read 1017562 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #1485 on: 02-Mar-14, 12:42:04 PM »

Wow, fantastic photos! Thanks for posting Carly!

Annette
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 147

View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: 02-Mar-14, 01:37:54 PM »

Beautiful photos! yes

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: 02-Mar-14, 07:37:53 PM »

I love the Burlington falcons and site!  clap

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: 07-Mar-14, 05:48:31 AM »

Sad News to Report; Maverick Has Been Found Deceased
March 06, 2014 - Etobicoke - William Osler
Tracy Simpson Reports:

I am the worst when it comes to reporting sad news and I can never find the right words yet this is an important update so here goes.

On Friday of last week, February 28th, I received a call from Ross with Environmental Services at the William Osler Hospital.  He informed me that he had located a deceased bird on the medical centre rooftop and that the bird was banded with a solid black recovery band marked R over 55.  I knew right away but confirmed it nonetheless that this was Maverick hatched last year at the William Osler nest site.  I drove down and met Ross and the two of us went up to the rooftop for a look.  When we exited the door I saw the bird down in the middle of the east side of the rooftop and it was without a doubt little boy blue Maverick.

After removing him from the rooftop I took a good look at him and it was evident that he’d been there for some time.  How long I can’t say but certainly his passing was not recent. I was incredibly shocked by this as he was the star flyer of the family this past season being the first to fledge and returning to the nest ledge within hours of his first flight.  He never once came to the ground or required a rescue and he was witnessed hunting like a pro with his father Hurricane around the hospital grounds.  The last time I can confirm his presence was on July 23rd when I was able to get a photograph of Maverick and his two sisters as they sat on the western ledge.  I believe that I also have pictures from later in August so what happened to him and when it occurred is truly unknown.  Thank you very much to the folks at William Osler for keeping an eye on the family and supporting them so well.  While this is a sad loss to report at this time, we look forward to the coming season with great anticipation.   
Annette
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 147

View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: 07-Mar-14, 06:19:29 AM »

Poor Maverick  crying Fly free beautiful peregrine 

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: 07-Mar-14, 06:22:04 AM »

How tragic! I'm so sorry. Fly free little Maverick   sorrow

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: 07-Mar-14, 10:43:35 AM »

crying kleenex

-John Burroughs
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: 07-Mar-14, 12:36:28 PM »

Fly free, Maverick.  sorrow

patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: 07-Mar-14, 03:26:29 PM »

Thank you for the report, Carly.  How sad for little Maverick.   I wonder what happened that caused his death so young, and at the site where he was hatched.  Cry

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: 07-Mar-14, 03:59:41 PM »

Thank you for the report, Carly.  How sad for little Maverick.   I wonder what happened that caused his death so young, and at the site where he was hatched.  Cry

I wonder too.  Perhaps he never left at all and due to the frigid winter has been there frozen all these months.  Maybe with Hurricane gone and the new male in, some sort of altercation occurred or he got caught in the crossfire.
carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: 07-Mar-14, 04:00:51 PM »

Some good news to report though!

!!! First Observed Mating of 2014!!
March 07, 2014 - Etobicoke - Sun Life Centre
Kathy Reports:

Today started off at -12c and as the sun came out warmed up to plus 3 celcius!  It’s a glorious day for humans and falcons alike!

Jack and O’Connor spent much time basking in the sun and flying around today.  As I was leaving the office at 3:30 I couldn’t find them anywhere so I headed for the subway and as I hit the corner of Bloor and Islington I could hear them.  I looked up and there they were on the corner of the Moneris building - where I observed the first mating I’ve seen of this season.

Much later than previous years but not unexpected due to the frigid temperatures.  We’re not out of the woods yet but the week looks to be milder than it’s been in a long while!
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: 07-Mar-14, 04:31:43 PM »

Some good news to report though!

!!! First Observed Mating of 2014!!
March 07, 2014 - Etobicoke - Sun Life Centre
Kathy Reports:

Today started off at -12c and as the sun came out warmed up to plus 3 celcius!  It’s a glorious day for humans and falcons alike!

Jack and O’Connor spent much time basking in the sun and flying around today.  As I was leaving the office at 3:30 I couldn’t find them anywhere so I headed for the subway and as I hit the corner of Bloor and Islington I could hear them.  I looked up and there they were on the corner of the Moneris building - where I observed the first mating I’ve seen of this season.

Much later than previous years but not unexpected due to the frigid temperatures.  We’re not out of the woods yet but the week looks to be milder than it’s been in a long while!

cheerleader

-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: 07-Mar-14, 05:14:54 PM »

How is Jack's other nest? Has he been over there?

carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: 07-Mar-14, 05:31:00 PM »

How is Jack's other nest? Has he been over there?

He still goes back and forth.  I emailed Mathew about a month ago just to make sure TR Mom survived the winter and he said she is doing fine.   I do see him heading out that way on a daily basis and I often see O'Connor on her own a few hours a day.  Once they chose a spot for nesting, I expect I'll hear more.  Last year they had construction at his other site so they were late nesting...we'll see what this year brings!
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: 07-Mar-14, 09:38:55 PM »

Fly Free Maverick.   Sad

Peregrines know no borders.....
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 98 99 [100] 101 102 103 104 ... 161   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: