THE FORUM

27-Apr-24, 03:52:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue tits embrace 'aromatherapy'  (Read 4773 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« on: 16-Aug-09, 06:12:12 AM »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/earth/hi/earth_news/newsid_8199000/8199726.stm

Blue tits use medicinal plants to disinfect their nests, scientists have discovered.

The birds line their nests with aromatic plants such as mint or lavender, which kill bacteria.

That creates a more sterile environment for chicks, which in turn grow faster and have a better chance of survival.

However, individual blue tits are quite picky about which plants they use, and it is not clear how they pass their knowledge on to other birds.

A number of European bird species add aromatic plants to their nests....(cont)

valhalla
« Reply #1 on: 16-Aug-09, 06:16:17 AM »

Garlic kills bacteria in food, too (our food). 
Judi
Juvie

Like Count: 43

African Fish Eagle

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17-Aug-09, 10:29:49 PM »

Blue tits use medicinal plants to disinfect their nests, scientists have discovered.

The birds line their nests with aromatic plants such as mint or lavender, which kill bacteria.

That creates a more sterile environment for chicks, which in turn grow faster and have a better chance of survival.

However, individual blue tits are quite picky about which plants they use, and it is not clear how they pass their knowledge on to other birds.

Actually, a lot of birds do this both in Europe AND the U.S.  I read an article about a U.S. study on this subject a couple of years ago.  I guess it's instinctive with the different species as to what plants they use when building and maintaining their nests.

Birds are so smart!   clap

Life's a dance, you learn as you go...sometimes you lead, sometimes you follow...
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17-Aug-09, 10:46:52 PM »

Garlic kills bacteria in food, too (our food). 

Vampires don't like garlic either!! devil

Sorry, had to Janet,

Donna

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17-Aug-09, 10:48:49 PM »

Actually, a lot of birds do this both in Europe AND the U.S.  I read an article about a U.S. study on this subject a couple of years ago.  I guess it's instinctive with the different species as to what plants they use when building and maintaining their nests.

Birds are so smart!   clap

Must be why we see so many greens in the eagle and osprey nests, ya think? ???

Donna

valhalla
« Reply #5 on: 18-Aug-09, 05:58:46 AM »

Must be why we see so many greens in the eagle and osprey nests, ya think? ???

Donna

Not so much the Osprey - they use mud blobs to cushion and line the nest and sea grasses are just part of the deal.  Same with tree branches that have leaves on them.  Osprey also like color from things like bags, toys, and flip-flops (read this as Flotsam and Jetsam  cat   kittykiss
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: