THE FORUM

28-Apr-24, 12:16:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ospreys at INWR  (Read 4061 times)
Lou
Juvie

Like Count: 130

View Profile WWW
« on: 16-Aug-09, 10:24:15 PM »

We went up to Iroquois National Wildlife Reserve yesterday (Saturday), and caught some interesting behaviors of the Ospreys nesting in Ringneck Marsh.  Here are some pictures:

http://tinyurl.com/nmwon7

Lou
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 16-Aug-09, 10:52:49 PM »

We went up to Iroquois National Wildlife Reserve yesterday (Saturday), and caught some interesting behaviors of the Ospreys nesting in Ringneck Marsh.  Here are some pictures:

http://tinyurl.com/nmwon7

Lou

Your pics are amazing Lou....thank you.

Donna bravo I'm lovin these smileys, thanks Shaky silly

valhalla
« Reply #2 on: 17-Aug-09, 06:27:49 AM »

Great pictures, as always, Lou!  You KNOW that I love the Osprey.   heart

What was going on/what did the behavior mean?  I am by no means an expert,  Wink but I did spend a LOT of time watching and listening (very critical) to the Osprey, so this is what I know.

Juvies almost always return to the nest for food/meal time, which might be why the juvies were hanging togeather (they also just hang together when young).  The parent might have been enticing them back to the nest, as it probably was their first flights.  However, the juvies might not have been siblings.  Osprey are very tolerent of juvies, so it isn't uncommon to find an adult feeding someone else's kid!  That juvie might even spend the night in the nest.

I've seen the osprey filling the sky several times - only once being territorial.  The other times had the osprey flying, singing, and socialing together for lack of a better description.  There were no territorial lines.  The friendliness has happened after fledging (remember, they will head south in a month) - maybe this behavior is to establish lines of communication for the long migration south?  Or maybe to establish those lines (friendlies) for the juvies?

Who knows?  Great pics Lou!   thumbsup  Janet
Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

Like Count: 283

"Cadence"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18-Aug-09, 08:37:03 PM »

Enjoyed yor pics Lou.  I really like the one of the adult landing in the tree with the 2 juvies.

Thanks Janet.  Interesting social behavior after the juvies have fledged.  Are Osprey more social than independant?  Is that why Osprey can have nests close to one another?  At one time, the nests were lined up in a row next to the highway, as you approach the Montezuma Wildlife Refuge.

Joyce

valhalla
« Reply #4 on: 19-Aug-09, 06:19:15 AM »

Thanks Janet.  Interesting social behavior after the juvies have fledged.  Are Osprey more social than independant?  Is that why Osprey can have nests close to one another?  At one time, the nests were lined up in a row next to the highway, as you approach the Montezuma Wildlife Refuge.

Joyce

I don't know for certain, but after 3 years of solid observation, I can say that once the kids have fledged that the territorial lines get smoothed out.  As for nests very close together, THAT is evidence of very good fishing grounds, which I suspect has more to do with tolerance than anything.  I do know that "my" local eagles became very scarce when the osprey returned, which could be because of migration.  I only ever saw one territorial battle between osprey and it was the cries that got my attention.  Osprey juvies return after about 2 years in SA to make their own nests in the "old neighborhood" - perhaps that leads to more tolerance?  Of course, THAT is a good news/bad news thing because I can't imagine every telephone pole in the area being covered with osprey nests.  I also think that it was the returning juvies/adults that caused the territorial battle last year.  Bottom line - don't know, but making a good guess.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: