THE FORUM

01-May-24, 12:54:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heartwarming - I am so proud of Casey!  (Read 13050 times)
Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

Like Count: 283

"Cadence"

View Profile
« on: 19-Aug-09, 12:04:30 AM »

Many of you know that Casey is one of our canine falconwatchers, and that Bullet is his best friend.  Casey is part Australian Shepherd, medium size (45 lbs), and 1 year 9 months old.  We think the other part might be lab.

(photos taken by Dawn)

I got a call at work about 9:30 pm this evening from Steve.  He just got home from taking Casey to Oatka Park (southwest of Rochester).  Steve usually takes Casey to the park for a freedom run, and walks the trails for exercise.  I thought - gee, it was awfully late for a walk, and to be coming home when it's dark.

Steve proceeded to tell me that he went to the park about 4:30 pm with Casey after the thunderstorms were over.  He woke up 4 hours later and it was nearly dark.  Steve is a Type 1 diabetic, and had a low sugar reaction.  When Steve woke up, he was in a stupor and barely knew where he was, but saw Casey sitting next to him.  Casey was not on leash, and amazingly for a young dog, stayed by Steve’s side all that time.  Steve had no idea how long he had been there.  At first, he felt panic and started to call out for help, but then he got himself up and told himself he had to find his way back to the car.

The Oatka Trails wind through fields of brush and woods.  Most are wide enough for 2 people to walk side by side.  When Steve got to his feet, Casey led the way.  The only thing that kept Steve going was his focus on the dog.  Casey would walk about 10 feet in front of Steve, and periodically turn back to see that Steve was following.  When they got to a fork in the trails, Steve had no idea where he was.  Steve started up the left trail and Casey did not follow.  Casey sat still and refused to move.  When Steve turned back, Casey headed up the right trail, and Steve followed.  All the while, it was getting darker and darker.

Casey led Steve out of the woods and into the open area where the picnic cabin and restrooms are located.  They stopped for water, and from there, they walked up the hill to the car.  Steve ate something, and drove carefully to the local pizza place in town, got something to eat and drink, and rewarded Casey with a real treat…pepperoni pizza.

Steve said if it wasn’t for Casey, he is not sure that he would have found his way out.  Until something like this happens, you never truly realize the meaning of “man’s best friend”.  I am so proud of Casey . . . and blessed to have both of them to come home to!

Joyce
Patti from Kentucky
Tiercel

Like Count: 58

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: 19-Aug-09, 12:46:03 AM »

What a great story!  I'm glad they made it home safely...three cheers for Casey! clap clap clap
Annette
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 147

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19-Aug-09, 01:29:15 AM »

Hi,

Exciting story with happy end.
Chasey is a wonderful dog.  thumbsup

Greetings
Annette

Dawn
Eyas

Like Count: 63

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19-Aug-09, 05:14:45 AM »

Aww, That's my "other" boy! Good going Casey! I'm glad both are alright, Joyce.  clap clap clap

"Those who believe a dog has no soul, have never looked in the eyes of a German Shepherd."

valhalla
« Reply #4 on: 19-Aug-09, 05:45:43 AM »

I never cease to be amazed that animals simply "know".  I can't begin to tell you how many times a cat watched over us when one of us was sick.  Good Boy, Casey!  clap  thumbsup  2thumbsup

Now, does Steve know or suspect what caused him to blackout/pass out?  Too much or too little sugar/food, etc?  Rich is type 2 and really good about checking his sugar, but pizza and Italian Subs are frequent lunches.  Even so, he stays within the 96 to 120 range, but he's also 54. 
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19-Aug-09, 06:03:11 AM »

WHAT AN AMAZING DOG
you have Joyce, a true Hero. God Bless Steve & Casey. Is Steve OK now?

Donna

rushhen06
Fledgling

Like Count: 17

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19-Aug-09, 08:28:39 AM »

Joyce,
OMG, what a wonderful ending to this story.
Casey is truly a remarkable companion.
Tell hubby to never go anywhere without him.
Helen R
on eastside of river.
loheron
Fledgling

Like Count: 23

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19-Aug-09, 08:32:30 AM »

Way to go ... Casey.
Larry O
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19-Aug-09, 09:55:35 AM »

Oh Joyce!  I'm so glad both are safe!  And so amazed at Casey's ability to recognize Steve needed guarding and direction!  It is heartwarming and such a reminder to the love dogs have for their people.  Sweet boy!  heart

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19-Aug-09, 11:18:27 AM »

A great story with a happy ending!   clap

Kris

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19-Aug-09, 06:06:39 PM »

Casey is a canine hero!  You go Casey!   clap

Peregrines know no borders.....
Helen in MD
Eyas

Like Count: 76

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19-Aug-09, 06:13:00 PM »

Joyce,
Old practical me think Steve should have a cellphone at all times.  And Casey deserves a big old soupbone (that is the one that is ok for dogs?)  heart
valhalla
« Reply #12 on: 19-Aug-09, 06:53:07 PM »

Helen - practical me agrees with the cell phone and also thinks the alert system "I've fallen and I can't get up".  The practical side hits too close to home....
mrs3popeye
Pipping

Like Count: 5

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19-Aug-09, 10:39:57 PM »

clap  And Proud you should be! Some pets are so amazing!    Way to go Casey! 2thumbsup

Doris in Arkport, NY
Aafke
Falcon

Like Count: 715

Kingfisher

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20-Aug-09, 04:36:36 PM »

dogwag Thanks Joyce for sharing this nice story. Casey is a great dog!!!   heart

greetings Aafke

Feed the birds!!!!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: