THE FORUM

29-Mar-24, 06:59:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Photos from Great Smoky Mountains weekend  (Read 4384 times)
Patti from Kentucky
Tiercel

Like Count: 58

View Profile WWW
« on: 19-Sep-10, 01:30:27 PM »

Jeane and I took a labor day weekend jaunt to the Smoky Mountains, where the butterflies were the highlight of the trip!  So, if you enjoy photos of butterflies, there are lots here for you!

Thumbnail format:
http://bellhanley.smugmug.com/Weekend-Fun/Smokies-2010

Slideshow format:
http://bellhanley.smugmug.com/photos/swfpopup.mg?AlbumID=13828059&AlbumKey=M8DNN
dale
Falcon

Like Count: 276

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: 19-Sep-10, 07:06:18 PM »

Thanks, Patti!
Gorgeous butterflies  - thanks for sharing them!
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19-Sep-10, 07:15:28 PM »

Nice pics, Patti!   Thanks for sharing your adventures with us!

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19-Sep-10, 08:12:58 PM »

Forgive me if I've said this before but you guys go to the best places! And we get to go too through your wonderful photos. flash Thank you for sharing!   thumbsup

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
gayle
Juvie

Like Count: 82

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19-Sep-10, 08:41:14 PM »

Thanks for sharing these beautiful creatures, Patti!  And this is a great system for sharing, far superior to Kodak!

Gayle
Paul Hamilton
Tiercel

Like Count: 266

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19-Sep-10, 10:18:39 PM »

Thanks Patti!  Either the mountain shots or the butterfly ones would have made a wonderful album by themselves, so the combination was really outstanding.  I recognized lots of Tiger Swallowtails, but many of the butterflies were unknown to me, including the blue ones.  Can you tell is what they were?

Paul
Patti from Kentucky
Tiercel

Like Count: 58

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 20-Sep-10, 12:42:55 AM »

Thanks Patti!  Either the mountain shots or the butterfly ones would have made a wonderful album by themselves, so the combination was really outstanding.  I recognized lots of Tiger Swallowtails, but many of the butterflies were unknown to me, including the blue ones.  Can you tell is what they were?

Paul

I am not a butterfly expert, but I think all of the non-yellow butterflies were either:
1) the black form of the female Eastern Tiger Swallowtail, which, as you correctly surmised, is what all the yellow ones are.
or
2) a Pipevine Swallowtail.  The one that's mostly black with the iridescent blue on the upper wing is a Pipevine Swallowtail, which is also shown elsewhere with it's under-wings showing, which have orange spots on them:
http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/species?l=1350

I went back and added the species identification to the captions where I could figure it out.
valhalla
« Reply #7 on: 20-Sep-10, 05:14:31 AM »

Great shots, Patti!  Those butterflies are all over my gardens in Southern MD - sometimes thought I was in swallowtail central with all of the varieties of them.  Thanks for doing the ID legwork - appreciate it  Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: