THE FORUM

15-May-24, 12:38:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trying to ID New Pair at Kodak Park  (Read 29050 times)
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 05-Oct-10, 08:53:19 PM »

So perhaps one of the reasons Peregrines pick power plants to hang out at is for the warmth they produce. I'm down with calling them stills. Joyce, whatever speeds up your texting I'm all for it! harhar lol

Yeah, yeah poke ...I know my texting is the slowest.  If anyone could see me trying to get out a quick watch report  tired - it takes forever!  My cell keys are so small that I have to type with a finger nail.  And it's hard to concentrate when you're being asked "Are you done yet?" aaarggh
2funny  Believe me a person could grow old waiting for one of your texts!   harhar  Just having fun with you my friend.  Grin   wave

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 05-Oct-10, 10:19:35 PM »

So perhaps one of the reasons Peregrines pick power plants to hang out at is for the warmth they produce. I'm down with calling them stills. Joyce, whatever speeds up your texting I'm all for it! harhar lol

Yeah, yeah poke ...I know my texting is the slowest.  If anyone could see me trying to get out a quick watch report  tired - it takes forever!  My cell keys are so small that I have to type with a finger nail.  And it's hard to concentrate when you're being asked "Are you done yet?" aaarggh

Your better than me, I abbreviate everything...ask MAK...she writes back.. HUH!!!
Yes Donna is the queen of short text messages! For the most part I understand but every once in awhile I have to "huh" her!!! Wink gum

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 05-Oct-10, 10:21:54 PM »

Your better than me, I abbreviate everything...ask MAK...she writes back.. HUH!!!
Yes Donna is the queen of short text messages! For the most part I understand but every once in awhile I have to "huh" her!!! Wink gum

Your learning!

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 05-Oct-10, 10:45:32 PM »

M&K's nest box from the Kodak Tower is now located on the Powers Building.  A&B's nest box was built by the Boyscouts and in storage at June's house.  When we needed two nest boxes, it was brought out of storage to be placed on the Times Square bldg.

These two building are very close together, so we weren't sure which (if either) would be chosen.  The falcons chose the Times Square location.

Peregrines know no borders.....
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 05-Oct-10, 10:57:46 PM »

M&K's nest box from the Kodak Tower is now located on the Powers Building.  A&B's nest box was built by the Boyscouts and in storage at June's house.  When we needed two nest boxes, it was brought out of storage to be placed on the Times Square bldg.

These two building are very close together, so we weren't sure which (if either) would be chosen.  The falcons chose the Times Square location.

Will the Powers nest be removed this Winter so no stragglers decide to claim it. Then we'll have a territory battle brewin!

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 05-Oct-10, 11:06:25 PM »

Will the Powers nest be removed this Winter so no stragglers decide to claim it. Then we'll have a territory battle brewin!

Good question Donna.  We'll have to ask the DEC about that. 

Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 06-Oct-10, 10:29:42 AM »

after seeing the TS building I can understand why they picked that one. It has so many ledges and stuff. Like a real cliff.
Lord G
Juvie

Like Count: 48

Peregrine Paparazzo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: 06-Oct-10, 11:41:09 PM »

That's close but not quite correct.  The box at Times Square was built for display.  It was in the Kodak Community Information Center at Building 28 in Kodak Park for many years.  I picked it up from there when we were moving the nest box off Kodak Tower, since the DEC was even at that time thinking about the possibility of putting up multiple nest boxes downtown.

There were 2 other nest boxes at KP.  One was on Building 59 which was demolished, so it got taken down and presumably destroyed. The other was on Building 83 in the Research Labs complex.  I wrote about both of these boxes in a 2005 post at Peregrinations.

"Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise"
valhalla
« Reply #53 on: 07-Oct-10, 05:13:58 AM »

That's close but not quite correct.  The box at Times Square was built for display.  It was in the Kodak Community Information Center at Building 28 in Kodak Park for many years.  I picked it up from there when we were moving the nest box off Kodak Tower, since the DEC was even at that time thinking about the possibility of putting up multiple nest boxes downtown.

There were 2 other nest boxes at KP.  One was on Building 59 which was demolished, so it got taken down and presumably destroyed. The other was on Building 83 in the Research Labs complex.  I wrote about both of these boxes in a 2005 post at Peregrinations.

Not sucking up here, but kudoos and a shout-out to our long-time watchers who do more than just watch, as is demonstrated by the nest boxes, cameras, banding day, merchandise team, photographers, and the list goes on.  We can now add historians to the resume'  clap  Thank You!

For the rest of us, how about making a donation, if you haven't already done so?  Just click Donate above and follow the directions.  Remember, your donation is tax-deductible!  yahoo

Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: 07-Oct-10, 07:51:37 AM »

There were 2 other nest boxes at KP.  One was on Building 59 which was demolished, so it got taken down and presumably destroyed.

The nest box is gone, but B-59 is still standing.

There is speculation that the B-83 and B-59 nest boxes were taken down as part of the preparation for the demolition of several nearby buildings in 2006-7. If falcons had moved into either of the nest boxes, they would have been inside the blast zone.

As for the two nest boxes, someone should walk up to the top of the stairwells of B-59 and B-83. I wouldn't be surprised if the nest boxes were still there tucked into a corner.
« Last Edit: 07-Oct-10, 07:58:11 AM by Shaky » Logged
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 07-Oct-10, 09:57:35 AM »

There were 2 other nest boxes at KP.  One was on Building 59 which was demolished, so it got taken down and presumably destroyed.

There is speculation that the B-83 and B-59 nest boxes were taken down as part of the preparation for the demolition of several nearby buildings in 2006-7. If falcons had moved into either of the nest boxes, they would have been inside the blast zone.

As for the two nest boxes, someone should walk up to the top of the stairwells of B-59 and B-83. I wouldn't be surprised if the nest boxes were still there tucked into a corner.

There is yet another nest box at the top of the stairway at the HSBC bldg (Downtown).  We saw it when we went up to the roof to get a look at the Midtown Plaza rain gutter where Archer and Mariah were exhibiting nesting behaviour.

« Last Edit: 07-Oct-10, 10:08:16 AM by Shaky » Logged

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 07-Oct-10, 10:58:59 AM »

There is yet another nest box at the top of the stairway at the HSBC bldg (Downtown).  We saw it when we went up to the roof to get a look at the Midtown Plaza rain gutter where Archer and Mariah were exhibiting nesting behaviour.

Sheesh, so many....I'll put one on my house!  wave sparrow

Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 07-Oct-10, 07:56:03 PM »

There were 2 other nest boxes at KP.  One was on Building 59 which was demolished, so it got taken down and presumably destroyed.

I think that would only work if you had the tallest house in the neighborhood taller than the trees too.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 07-Oct-10, 09:08:08 PM »

There were 2 other nest boxes at KP.  One was on Building 59 which was demolished, so it got taken down and presumably destroyed.

I think that would only work if you had the tallest house in the neighborhood taller than the trees too.

I know BC but it would make some nice cover for the Winter birds!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: