THE FORUM

19-Apr-24, 03:10:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Paul's vacation on Sandy Island (Part 1)  (Read 5168 times)
Paul Hamilton
Tiercel

Like Count: 266

View Profile
« on: 21-Aug-09, 11:22:27 AM »

We are coming to the end of our annual two week stay on Sandy Island, in New Hampshire's Lake Winnipesaukee.  The waves are crashing on the rocks just outside my door as I write this We have been seeing deer and raccoons as we make our way to and from the bathroom, through the dense forest at night by flashlight, and there are loons, mergansers, mallards, and cormorants, plus an occasional Bald Eagle, by day.

Our cabin even has a mascot -- a Little Brown Bat who  has been named Wallace.  Wallace enters the cabin at night to clean out the bugs, and we all greet him when he arrives.  After a few minutes, he zips out through a small hole under the eaves.  Sometimes he comes in after the lights are out and I hear his wingbeats as he flies around.

There is also skin diving/fish watching.  If you stay still on the bottom for about 30 seconds, curious Bluegills and Smallmouth Bass surround you.  The bass are a foot and a half (one half meter) in length and come within inches of your face.  It is the Total Fish Experience (tm).

Catherine was excited to have found a Northern Water Snake, but her heart still belongs to Wallace.

Don't sign in:
http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLanding.action?c=baawt8n.7j3t29zj&x=0&y=k12rqh&localeid=en_US&cm_mmc=site_email-_-site_share-_-core-_-view_photos_album

Sign in:
http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLanding.action?c=baawt8n.7j3t29zj&x=1&y=-uyyikd&localeid=en_US&cm_mmc=site_email-_-site_share-_-core-_-view_photos_album

Paul
valhalla
« Reply #1 on: 21-Aug-09, 11:43:20 AM »

As always, wonderful, Paul!  You know that I love the Classic boat  heart (halfway in the market for one, but not a good primary boat) 
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21-Aug-09, 11:49:48 AM »

Looks like everyone had a great time!  Thanks for sharing your pics with us.

Kris

Lou
Juvie

Like Count: 130

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 21-Aug-09, 07:47:40 PM »

Beautiful pix, Paul!
Mirta
Fledgling

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21-Aug-09, 08:38:08 PM »

Catherine is a very wise girl...

Shaky, we need a smiley bat...
:[
Mirta

Catherine was excited to have found a Northern Water Snake, but her heart still belongs to Wallace.

Paul
Wing Goose
Tiercel

Like Count: 37

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22-Aug-09, 04:48:44 PM »

I love your visits to Sandy Island Paul.  It looks like such wonderful fun -- and I can see that it is.  Thanks for sharing with us.  Looking forward to more.
Lola
 yes

Lola
Judi
Juvie

Like Count: 43

African Fish Eagle

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23-Aug-09, 01:03:24 AM »

Should I ask who won the shaving cream race   secret2  ...or is that going to be revealed in Part 2?  Fantastic photos!  Thanks for sharing your vacation with us...

Life's a dance, you learn as you go...sometimes you lead, sometimes you follow...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: