THE FORUM

29-Mar-24, 02:25:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cannine Flu and Coughing  (Read 10114 times)
valhalla
« on: 22-Aug-09, 05:00:50 PM »

No, we didn't get a dog (I'm yowling to encourage Rich to give in to another cat - still carrying the torch for Bart!).  A friend has a yellow lab, 2-years old, already has spent $$$$ for the hips (member of the family, hence no other option with 2 little kids), and now Chester (you Marines will know who Chesty was named after) has the flu and big time coughing.  Vet has Chesty on anti-biotics, so he will get better.   dogwag

My question for all of you dog people (Dawn and Joyce in particular, with 2 dogs in the same age bracket) is what can you give them to calm the cough?  I know that we did something many years ago when Jasmine got a cold (can't remember and I know that cats and dogs ARE different).  The risk for a big dog like Chester is that he could cough so hard that he could do damage to his ribs or lungs.  Any suggestions? kittykiss   eyecat (love the EyeCat). 
Lynfromlyndenwa
Big Clutch

Like Count: 3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 22-Aug-09, 06:16:31 PM »

No, we didn't get a dog (I'm yowling to encourage Rich to give in to another cat - still carrying the torch for Bart!).  A friend has a yellow lab, 2-years old, already has spent $$$$ for the hips (member of the family, hence no other option with 2 little kids), and now Chester (you Marines will know who Chesty was named after) has the flu and big time coughing.  Vet has Chesty on anti-biotics, so he will get better.   dogwag

My question for all of you dog people (Dawn and Joyce in particular, with 2 dogs in the same age bracket) is what can you give them to calm the cough?  I know that we did something many years ago when Jasmine got a cold (can't remember and I know that cats and dogs ARE different).  The risk for a big dog like Chester is that he could cough so hard that he could do damage to his ribs or lungs.  Any suggestions? kittykiss   eyecat (love the EyeCat). 

When my dog was at the kennel about 13 years ago, they had an outbreak of kennel cough.   The kennel owner said that my little one had a slight cough and if it seemed to bother her, give her the Robitussin DM.  I remember it after all these years because she said it stands for 'dog medicine'.  They might check with the vet about suitability and dosage.

Lyn from Lynden, WA
harrispen
Pipping

Like Count: 9

My girl Nina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 23-Aug-09, 09:54:28 AM »

Robitussin DM is commonly used to quiet the cough from kennel cough.  Be sure to check with the vet on dosage.  Have used it with our dogs over the years.  Works well so the owner and dog can get a good nights sleep.  thumbsup dogwag
Mirta
Fledgling

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23-Aug-09, 10:15:11 AM »

Hi
My dogs are always vaccinated against kennel flu, even they´ve never been in a kennel. That flu is very common here, so my vet gave me the advice to vaccinate them every fall. It is easy bcs the vaccine is administrate as drops in the nose.

dogwag

Mirta
valhalla
« Reply #4 on: 23-Aug-09, 12:01:09 PM »

Thanks everyone!   dogwag  I'll pass this info on.   running dog  There have been outbreaks of the Canine flu in Northern VA and Chester was at the kennel overnight, so....

eyecat (love the eyecat)
Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

Like Count: 283

"Cadence"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03-Sep-09, 10:07:15 PM »

Janet sorry for the late response.  

Canine cough (often called Kennel cough) is a form of bronchitis just as in humans.  It is a contagious upper-respiratory disease which is spread by an air-borne virus.  It consists of a bacteria and a virus.  A vet will treat the bacteria with a broad spectrum antibiotic.  The virus is treated with supportive care such as bed rest, low activity (may need crating to keep activity down), hydration/liquids, keeping warm, and not allowing the pet to pull on collar.   Inflammation in the throat is viral just like the common cold in humans, and has to run its course.  

Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin (Robitussin DM ®) can be used to treat coughing in dogs, cats and ferrets, at a dosage of 0.5 ml/lb every 8 hours. I wouldn't do anything with OTC drugs unless recommended by my vet.

My preference would be a more natural way of easing the irritation that causes the cough unless the doctor prescribes cough medication.  One home remedy that has had reported success with canine cough is food grade 3% hydrogen peroxide (with or without honey):  3 drops of 3% hydrogen peroxide with 2 teaspoons of honey for each 8 oz. glass and fill bowl.  Milk can also be used.  The same amount can be used in 4 oz. of water, and then you can brush, or finger brush the dogs teeth with it.

Check out this article on Kennel Cough:
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=600

Joyce
Lynfromlyndenwa
Big Clutch

Like Count: 3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04-Sep-09, 12:51:10 AM »

Hi
My dogs are always vaccinated against kennel flu, even they´ve never been in a kennel. That flu is very common here, so my vet gave me the advice to vaccinate them every fall. It is easy bcs the vaccine is administrate as drops in the nose.

dogwag

Mirta
My kennel requires that my dog get the kennel cough vaccination every 6 months.  The vaccine they are using here now is an injection, instead of the nose drops that were a concern because we did not know how much actually got in.

Lyn from Lynden WA
valhalla
« Reply #7 on: 04-Sep-09, 05:05:00 AM »

Chester is now doing fine with the antibiotics, but I'm going to pass the "home-brew" info on (my method of choice, but this isn't my dog).  Thanks!
Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

Like Count: 283

"Cadence"

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04-Sep-09, 12:55:13 PM »

Glad to hear Chester is doing better.  

When I took our new addition "Abby" to the vets this week, I decided to get the bordetella vaccine.  Even though we have never kenneled our dogs, I did this just in case because dogs under a year are more susceptible.  There has been an outbreak of canine cough here in WNY as well and Abby has play dates with lots of other dogs.  At least she is covered in case we have to board her and kennels here require it as well.  I wish this vaccine was yearly and not every 6 months - a lot of money to shell out for a 'what if' situation.

Joyce

Dawn
Eyas

Like Count: 63

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04-Sep-09, 02:00:41 PM »

Joyce, She'll be all set if you ever bring her to Wooftown for a play date.  wave

"Those who believe a dog has no soul, have never looked in the eyes of a German Shepherd."

Caitie
Fledgling

Like Count: 19

Iamnotaddicted

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27-Sep-09, 11:27:15 PM »

Glad to hear Chester is doing better.  

When I took our new addition "Abby" to the vets this week, I decided to get the bordetella vaccine.
Joyce

I was told Kennel cough isn't prevented by the treatment it just cuts down the severity of the symptoms should they get exposed.  My dogs (2) dogwag dogwag had it one year after they were boarded and gave it to my shih szu crying who wasn't kenneled. Sad  They had the treatment a month before boarding which is plenty of time for them to build up the immunity. I asked the vet why did they get the virus since they had the treatment and he said they can still get it just not as bad. They sounded terrible. We used the DM the symptoms. But I  personally wouldn't get the shot every 6 months overdoing vaccines/inhalers on pets isnt really safe for their immune systems. IMO  running dog
Tokira
Juvie

Like Count: 142

Kaetzchen Gabriella of Tokira

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27-Sep-09, 11:44:45 PM »

Most Dog and Cat Breeders have wrangled with vaccination questions for some time.  Over vaccination seems implicated in all sorts of health challenges, particularly immune system difficulties.
Dr Jean Dodds has been the most frequently published and quoted recently, with a new vaccination protocol:
<http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/DODDS-CHG-VACC-PROTOCOLS.HTM>
http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/DODDS-CHG-VACC-PROTOCOLS.HTM
Long, but well worth the read...
Carol
WV
valhalla
« Reply #12 on: 28-Sep-09, 06:22:23 AM »

Most Dog and Cat Breeders have wrangled with vaccination questions for some time.  Over vaccination seems implicated in all sorts of health challenges, particularly immune system difficulties.
Dr Jean Dodds has been the most frequently published and quoted recently, with a new vaccination protocol:
<http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/DODDS-CHG-VACC-PROTOCOLS.HTM>
http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/DODDS-CHG-VACC-PROTOCOLS.HTM
Long, but well worth the read...
Carol
WV

Thanks Carol - I've sent this on to Chester's "daddy" for digestion  Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: