THE FORUM

30-Apr-24, 07:31:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: From MAK: Pics from Morning Watches  (Read 53754 times)
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: 20-Dec-10, 11:33:48 PM »

Thanks for letting us use the area MAK. happy
Here's an album of pics I took on watch Saturday Dec. 18th, with a few pics of 2 falcons early, and finishing with Beauty and the Red-tailed hawk on Time Square.  Hope you enjoy.

http://tinyurl.com/27adal8

Dana

May I reiterate... this is not just my area. I'm very happy you guys are sharing your pics because I like yours way better than mine and I'm sure the peeps feel the same way. After seeing your pics Dana I'm almost afraid to share mine. As usual your pics are awesome. I especially like the stoop pics and Beauty on Mercury squawking with her food in talon. Thank you! notworthy

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: 21-Dec-10, 08:12:33 AM »

Ok, I'm going to remind people that we have a FalconWatch blog that was set up just for this purpose. Items posted there are automatically distributed to the forum, facebook, twitter, yahoo, email, etc. (Several media outlets follow us on twitter, and our facebook fan list is growing daily.)

When pictures from watches are posted directly to the forum, the redistribution process is circumvented, and then someone has to manually post the pictures to facebook, etc., which introduces its own set of problems that ultimately results in some people not seeing falcon watch pictures.

Rfalconcam's mission statement starts with the words:

"To increase environmental awareness and education by providing high quality still images..."

Let's do our best to fulfill our mission by not taking shortcuts. If there are problems with the FalconWatch blog that need to be addressed, let's discuss them so we can get them fixed.

Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

Like Count: 283

"Cadence"

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: 22-Dec-10, 05:31:43 AM »

Shaky,

The forum topic with MAK's pics was originally posted as a single subject with a specific date. I revised the title so she could continue to share her morning watch pics under one topic. MAK admits she is a little techno-challenged, and has a hard time with inserting links, images, etc.  Donna has been helping post her pictures. Rather than having many separate topics for each watch, I thought it would be easier to view and follow MAK's daily pics under one topic.  Carol and Dana just followed suit. 

Personally, I would rather see a thread under Rochester Falcons that says Falcon Watcher Photos where everyone can go to see them under one heading.  I understand the mission and purpose of the FalconWatch blog, but to be honest, it is much easier and faster to post to the forum than using the Dashboard program in FalconWatch.  Plus there is also a comfort zone in posting to the forum.  Sometimes it is intimidating to meet the expectation of "providing high quality still images."  I only wish I could be good as Chad & Chris who post pictures of Seneca & Cheyenne on the Cleveland forum.

Joyce
Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: 22-Dec-10, 09:54:02 AM »

Shaky,

The forum topic with MAK's pics was originally posted as a single subject with a specific date. I revised the title so she could continue to share her morning watch pics under one topic. MAK admits she is a little techno-challenged, and has a hard time with inserting links, images, etc.  Donna has been helping post her pictures. Rather than having many separate topics for each watch, I thought it would be easier to view and follow MAK's daily pics under one topic.  Carol and Dana just followed suit.  

Personally, I would rather see a thread under Rochester Falcons that says Falcon Watcher Photos where everyone can go to see them under one heading.  I understand the mission and purpose of the FalconWatch blog, but to be honest, it is much easier and faster to post to the forum than using the Dashboard program in FalconWatch.  Plus there is also a comfort zone in posting to the forum.  Sometimes it is intimidating to meet the expectation of "providing high quality still images."  I only wish I could be good as Chad & Chris who post pictures of Seneca & Cheyenne on the Cleveland forum.

Joyce

I know how it started. I was fine with a small topic, but when it expanded and started to become unwieldy, that's when I stepped in.

Regarding the mission statement. It's not the "high quality still images." It's the "To increase environmental awareness and education" part that needs to be stressed. We do that by spreading the word as far as possible. Taking shortcuts like posting to the forum is not going to accomplish that, at least not without a lot of extra effort on the part of volunteers who don't necessarily have the time or skills to do it.

Posting pictures to the forum is fine as long as it doesn't become the primary repository for the images. The forum is not a photo gallery. It's not designed to be one. Using it as such is asking for trouble, and we are guaranteed to run out of storage on our server if a skilled volunteer doesn't step in to remove the files. Using the forum to store pictures is like using a screwdriver to pound nails. That's what hammers are for. Similarly, online photo albums are for storing photos. There are many to choose from including Facebook, KGallery, Picasa, and flickr.

The FalconWatch blog is not difficult to use, and it gives the author many more tools for putting together a story than the forum can. It also indexes the posts by date and category for easy retrieval later. Plus it's cleaner because the comments and off-topic discussion are kept separate from the actual posts -- a big advantage for anyone wanting to review events or just catch up after an absence. And finally, it provides a mechanism for broadly disseminating information and accomplishing our goal of increasing awareness and education. (The dissemination also creates additional copies of the information contained in the posts, essentially giving us free backups, and we all know the importance of backing up our data!)

If there are real problems with the FalconWatch blog, let's create a topic to discuss them. Then we can work on improving it. Also, if there are online watchers who would like to ghost write for watchers on the street, they can use the topic to volunteer their services. Anyone with WordPress experience and extra time on their hands should have no problem using the FalconWatch blog. I would love to see someone condense each day's tweets into a single watch report.

Imagine what could be done with a season's worth of clearly written, easily accessible watch reports. A comprehensive end-of-year report could be written. Throw in the Imprints posts, the charts for egg brooding and feedings, the falcon family tree, and a few other tidbits, and you've got a really nice article worthy of publication.

This is citizen science.
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: 22-Dec-10, 11:18:35 AM »

Sorry for the ruckus I've caused. It wasn't my intention to store my pics here. I have alot to learn.  stupid Still a rookie.

"MAK admits she is a little techno-challenged"  This is an understatement!

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 177

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: 22-Dec-10, 11:29:04 AM »

Sorry for the ruckus I've caused. It wasn't my intention to store my pics here. I have alot to learn.  stupid Still a rookie.

MAK, your boundless enthusiasm and total dedication to the Falcons overrides everything else!  wave
margaret
Falcon

Like Count: 28

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 22-Dec-10, 11:45:59 AM »

I agree with Bobbie.  MAK, your reports and pictures are wonderful!   Your dedication to the falcons and to reporting what you see to rest of us out here is inspiring.  Your pictures are the best!  Congratulations and lucky you for receiving the new scope for Christmas.  I could not do what you do  (techno-challenged me).  Keep on doing what you are doing.  My day begins when I see your reports about Beauty.   thumbsup

MAK, your boundless enthusiasm and total dedication to the Falcons overrides everything else!  wave
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: 22-Dec-10, 01:02:21 PM »

I'm not thinking ruckus...I'm thinking Shaky trying to get us more streamlined before the REAL watch season gets underway...

Good food for thought.  We'll figure something out.

Ei

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: 22-Dec-10, 01:21:55 PM »

No one is saying MAK's morning reports aren't greatly appreciated.  I thank her all the time, since I'm unable to get out much, except for the weekends during the Winter months.  

I think Shaky has a great idea about summarizing the tweets onto a daily Falcon Watch report.  Does anyone want to volunteer to do this?

We are, in fact, citizen scientists. Every one of us.  I've always said that the Rochester Watchers know more about Peregrine behavior in a city than the "experts".

If we all get in the habit of leaving Watch Reports in the appropriate area, outside the Forum, it will become easier each time we do them.  I know I'm also guilty about not posting my reports there as often as I should.  Remember, these posts will flow to all the RFalconcam community, including the forum.

The RFalconcam site has great potential to be the best Peregrine depository of information anywhere.  Let's make this the come-to website for "experts" and "non-experts" to learn all about city Peregrine Falcons.  We have a vast amount of knowledge to share with everyone.

Peregrines know no borders.....
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 14-Jan-11, 12:45:54 PM »

Bookends!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: