THE FORUM

26-Apr-24, 03:13:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: We saw a Peregrine today!  (Read 10502 times)
Lou
Juvie

Like Count: 130

View Profile WWW
« on: 22-Aug-09, 09:32:09 PM »

After a beautiful morning, in which Dana and I did some watching with Carol, Brian, Don, Suzanne, Jeanne, and Joyce at Kodak Park, we headed to Braddocks Bay where we were treated to a live raptor demonstration by the folks at Braddocks Bay Raptor Research.  I had heard rumors that this group had dissolved, but they were there today with several raptors, including a Red Shouldered Hawk, a Golden Eagle, and our favorite, a Peregrine Falcon. 

2thumbsup   Here’s a few pictures from the demonstration, including pictures of ‘Emma’, their Peregrine.

http://tinyurl.com/ner9oz

Lou
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 22-Aug-09, 09:58:26 PM »

After a beautiful morning, in which Dana and I did some watching with Carol, Brian, Don, Suzanne, Jeanne, and Joyce at Kodak Park, we headed to Braddocks Bay where we were treated to a live raptor demonstration by the folks at Braddocks Bay Raptor Research.  I had heard rumors that this group had dissolved, but they were there today with several raptors, including a Red Shouldered Hawk, a Golden Eagle, and our favorite, a Peregrine Falcon. 

2thumbsup   Here’s a few pictures from the demonstration, including pictures of ‘Emma’, their Peregrine.

Lou

Emma, now where have we seen her before? Her name sounds familiar. She is pretty Lou as are all the rest of the flock. Thanks for sharing your day.  thumbsup Redtails are beautiful up close.

Donna

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22-Aug-09, 10:10:02 PM »

Beautiful pictures, Lou!

Kris

Lou
Juvie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 22-Aug-09, 10:28:23 PM »

Lou

Emma, now where have we seen her before? Her name sounds familiar. She is pretty Lou as are all the rest of the flock. Thanks for sharing your day.  thumbsup Redtails are beautiful up close.

Donna

I'm not sure, Donna. Perhaps one of our other watchers here know more about her.

Lou
Carla P
Fluffball

Like Count: 21

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22-Aug-09, 11:59:23 PM »

I could kick myself!  I received an e-mail about the Raptor presentation at Braddock Bay today, and I forgot all about it Sad  I really wanted to see Emma up close Cry   But the worst part is that I missed seeing Lou and Dana  crying
Hopefully I'll see you all soon.  My Mom is doing well and is coming home next Wednesday  clap
Carla P.

Carla P.
aka: edp1078, partysocks6

"Treat the earth well. It was not given to you
      by your parents; it was loaned to you by your
      children."
                 -Old Indian Proverb-
Lisa F.
Small Clutch

Like Count: 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23-Aug-09, 12:24:48 AM »

How amazing to see these birds so close up. 
valhalla
« Reply #6 on: 23-Aug-09, 06:21:18 AM »

bravo  I don't know "who" I liked more - the owls were sweet, the hawks gorgeous, and Emma was beautiful.  Thanks for sharing Lou!

Note to Carla:
 2thumbsup Great news about your Mom!  clap[/size]
[/b]
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23-Aug-09, 07:06:05 AM »

Emma is gorgeous as are all the other educational birds at Braddock.  I had no idea that they had a Peregrine.  Glad that you and Dana made it out there yesterday and thanks for posting these beautiful pictures Lou.

Peregrines know no borders.....
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23-Aug-09, 07:58:16 AM »

I'm not sure, Donna. Perhaps one of our other watchers here know more about her.

Lou

I'll have to do a search on RFC and find out. Could be a totally different Emma but I know that name.. ???

Thanks,

Donna

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23-Aug-09, 08:02:01 AM »

I could kick myself!  I received an e-mail about the Raptor presentation at Braddock Bay today, and I forgot all about it Sad  I really wanted to see Emma up close Cry   But the worst part is that I missed seeing Lou and Dana  crying
Hopefully I'll see you all soon.  My Mom is doing well and is coming home next Wednesday  clap
Carla P.

Good for "Mom" and good for you Carla, you'll be back in business soon. bow Miss all your reports. Hugs to momma. Hey Carla, "WHERE IS JC"??????????????? Is he joining this forum? I miss his wit. silly

Donna

Dot_Forrester
Tiercel

Like Count: 50

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23-Aug-09, 08:35:41 AM »

Lou, the raptor photos were great!  clap Thanks for sharing.

Dot in PA
Lou
Juvie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 23-Aug-09, 08:45:42 AM »

Emma is gorgeous as are all the other educational birds at Braddock.  I had no idea that they had a Peregrine.  Glad that you and Dana made it out there yesterday and thanks for posting these beautiful pictures Lou.

We didn't know either, Carol. I looked up the BBRR flyer about 2:00 pm yesterday:
http://www.bbrr.org/RT%20Days%2009%20Flyer.pdf

I told Dana that we had missed the Peregrine showing at 1:00 pm. (If we had known this while we were all sitting at KP, we all probably would have went down.) Dana and I arrived at 3:00, expecting only to see the Live Bird of Prey presentation, but we weren't expecting the falcon.

I found out just a little more about Emma. She was born and raised as a falconer's bird and was part of a breeding program. I don't know more than that though.

Lou

PS I added a few more pictures to the album..  http://tinyurl.com/ner9oz
« Last Edit: 23-Aug-09, 09:32:05 AM by Lou » Logged
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23-Aug-09, 09:35:38 AM »

Lou

Search

* YNN
    * The Web

Search terms:

Updated 08/20/2009 11:09 AM
Event Offers Close-Up Look at Area Bird Population

By: Dan Smith

You have a chance the next couple days to check out the many birds that call our area home.

Emma the peregrine falcon is one of the featured birds at the Braddock Bay Raptor Research Center's August Red Tail Days, an educational event geared toward kids and families that features the capture and identification banding of red tail hawks.

"Also there will be tours of the banding station, of the hawk watch, of the songbird station, banding station. So you will get to see this in action," said Susie Cotsworth, Braddock Bay Raptor Research Center volunteer.

You can also see "The Incredible Hawk" in action.

Like any other festival, the Braddock Bay Raptor Research Red Tail Days features food, music, and games.

It runs at Braddock Bay Park in Greece Friday 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and Saturday 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

http://rochester.ynn.com/content/in_our_community/community_news/480286/event-offers-close-up-look-at-area-bird-population/?RegionCookie=2075 video of Emma

Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

Like Count: 283

"Cadence"

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23-Aug-09, 10:33:02 AM »

Carla P.  Great

Good News about your Mom Carla P!   Casey & Abby (new doggie for you to see) are wagging their tails too dogwag

I didn't know about the presentation until it was mentioned while watching for Mariah at KP.  Since I had my canine falconwatchers with me, I decided to head downtown, cause i couldn't take them with me.

star star star star star Great pictures Lou!
loheron
Fledgling

Like Count: 23

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23-Aug-09, 12:13:48 PM »

Well, I missed all you guys. I was there from about 9:00 am to 9:45. I spent most of my time on the Maplewood/Seneca Park bridge.
Larry

Lou
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: