THE FORUM

27-Apr-24, 03:37:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hummingbirds at the House  (Read 7224 times)
valhalla
« on: 26-Aug-09, 02:41:01 PM »

hello  humming bird A few pictures of our new house and our bird friends.  The hummers are not great, as I was shooting through glass and blinds in poor light, but you get the idea.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/valhallaviews/main/house_and_hummers
 eyecat
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 26-Aug-09, 03:31:06 PM »

Nice house, Janet and loved the bird pics.  We have 3 Hummers that have been fighting for 2 days over the feeder.  They're so territorial and I love to watch them.  We have a weather stick just to the left of the feeder and every night that we're sitting on the back deck, a Hummer will fly in to feed and sit on that stick while we talk to it.  Totally not afraid of us and sometimes I'm holding Toby (our BIG cat)  eyecat and him being there doesn't even bother them. They're little but .... hummer

Paul Hamilton
Tiercel

Like Count: 266

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26-Aug-09, 08:32:09 PM »

I like the feets a lot!

Paul
valhalla
« Reply #3 on: 27-Aug-09, 06:36:53 AM »

I like the feets a lot!

Paul

Me, too  happy

Rich saw the little gal perch on the feeder and poop last night  hummer

The finches  finch treat my porch like the bottom of a bird cage, so why not the hummers?   lol
annieinelkhart
Juvie

Like Count: 23

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27-Aug-09, 08:43:03 AM »

OH Janet your new house is so pretty!  That front porch makes me want to sit in a rocking chair with my coffee and watch the world go by!  heart  As for the hummingbird pictures, WOW!  We just haven't taken the time this year but they are eating me out of house and home this year!  I have 4 feeders up around the house and especially the one at the kitchen window holds 1 cup of food and they empty that in less than 24 hours!  So I am doing feeders daily!  Soon they will start to depart and I will miss them!  We plan to take a 6-7 week trip to Florida in our "new" 5th wheel in Oct/Nov so plan to take a couple feeders with us to see if they will come feed down there.   humming bird

On another forum I know a gal in Ohio who had a Rufus come through, got it verified and they got it captured and banded, that sure would be a fete with those tiny feet!

EVERY DAY I THANK OUR TROOPS FOR ALL THEY DO FOR US!  IT IS THE LEAST I CAN DO!
valhalla
« Reply #5 on: 27-Aug-09, 11:19:03 AM »

OH Janet your new house is so pretty!  That front porch makes me want to sit in a rocking chair with my coffee and watch the world go by!  heart  As for the hummingbird pictures, WOW!  We just haven't taken the time this year but they are eating me out of house and home this year!  I have 4 feeders up around the house and especially the one at the kitchen window holds 1 cup of food and they empty that in less than 24 hours!  So I am doing feeders daily!  Soon they will start to depart and I will miss them!  We plan to take a 6-7 week trip to Florida in our "new" 5th wheel in Oct/Nov so plan to take a couple feeders with us to see if they will come feed down there.   humming bird

On another forum I know a gal in Ohio who had a Rufus come through, got it verified and they got it captured and banded, that sure would be a fete with those tiny feet!

Thanks!   thanx  Last year, Helen in MD notified me that a Rufus had been identified down my way.  We kept our eyes open, but we never saw him.
Helen in MD
Eyas

Like Count: 76

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27-Aug-09, 12:52:26 PM »

Thanks!   thanx  Last year, Helen in MD notified me that a Rufus had been identified down my way.  We kept our eyes open, but we never saw him.
And I will keep you posted this year too.  And Snowy Owl info too!
Your new home is lovely. clap
« Last Edit: 27-Aug-09, 02:11:36 PM by Shaky » Logged
valhalla
« Reply #7 on: 27-Aug-09, 01:57:03 PM »

And I will keep you posted this year too.  And Snowy Owl info too!
Your new home is lovely. clap
Thanks - AND this year you have a place to stop and warm up on the way to the Eastern Shore!
pdk
Fluffball

Like Count: 11

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27-Aug-09, 02:38:45 PM »

Lovely home, Janet and it seems the birds just gravitate to your location. Beautiful photos of the birds.  I would not be surprised if your four-legged ones Blackie and Willy find their way to their humans.  Have you been back to check on them and Bald Bart?
Is that your monster mum in your garden or did you leave it on the dock?

Patricia
p.s. I love your Bart photo on your posts.

This is my first post on the new forum.  Hope it works.
annieinelkhart
Juvie

Like Count: 23

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27-Aug-09, 02:56:07 PM »

2thumbsup  Good job Patricia!  It worked!!  You are "up and running" on here!   clap

EVERY DAY I THANK OUR TROOPS FOR ALL THEY DO FOR US!  IT IS THE LEAST I CAN DO!
Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 27-Aug-09, 04:36:13 PM »

Congrats on your first post, Patricia!
Wing Goose
Tiercel

Like Count: 37

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27-Aug-09, 08:43:32 PM »

Great pictures Janet! Your yard, porch and house are great. Glad you shared with us.
Of course, all the birds are exquisite !
 clap
Lola, 8/27/09

Lola
valhalla
« Reply #12 on: 28-Aug-09, 07:09:01 AM »

Lovely home, Janet and it seems the birds just gravitate to your location. Beautiful photos of the birds.  I would not be surprised if your four-legged ones Blackie and Willy find their way to their humans.  Have you been back to check on them and Bald Bart?
Is that your monster mum in your garden or did you leave it on the dock?

Patricia
p.s. I love your Bart photo on your posts.

This is my first post on the new forum.  Hope it works.

Hey Patricia -  thanx   Bald Bart goes away during Osprey season, but I expect him to make a return around November AND I'll be watching.   lol  Yes, the monster mum (very wide and half as tall) is in the garden.  I suspect that the mum enjoyed the almost constant sunlight last year, whereas "he" gets only solid sun until 1 PM(ish) now.  I have gray squirrels, but I think I've lost a few to "meals" either bird, snake, or human (well, I do live in the County!  2funny)  Thanks to Helen for all of the advice for plants to attact the birds (I follow instructions, well).  Of course, the hummingbird feeders have been a joke - I'd guess that we are about $200.00 on try this one, that one, and etc. but we now have good success (sometimes we are a bit slowwww).   Smiley eyecat
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: